Commander Cody Helmet build thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by merkava74, Jul 6, 2015.

1. merkava74

merkava74 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

UPDATE: COMPLETED PHOTOS POST #40

By a stroke of luck, I got my hands on an EVO3 Cody bucket!

Arrived in the mail today, and wasted no time jumping right into the build!

Here's the very well cast kit

[​IMG]

Used a Dremel with a routing bit to carve out the visor and the breathing vents:

[​IMG]

Smoothed it out with files and sandpaper:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    CT7567, MAAZ and mugatu like this.
  2. LB66679

LB66679 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice helmet !!

merkava74 likes this.
  3. alienbuilder

alienbuilder Well-Known Member

nice! when its about clone helmets, I m always into. I m exited about how this will look like finished. you got the visor too?

merkava74 likes this.
  4. merkava74

Yup. Got the whole kit. Visor is made of fibreglass and is more difficult to deal with. I'm tackling that tomorrow. :)

5. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How-where did you get this? This is right up my alley.

Ill be watching this build intently!

6. alienbuilder

great. as I said, I m already exited. the cody helmet is a very beautiful I think. already liked your great work on the Boushh-Helmet. r u using a normal net for the mictips or do you have other plans? for my helmets I made some kind of CAD drawing and ordered laser cut parts out of stainless steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could send you the file if you want to, but it would still need some resizing. and I think some thinner steel could work more movie accurate.

7. merkava74

Thanks! Got it from a fellow RPFer who had one lying around! EVO is too busy to even reply my mails, so this is definitely a prayer answered!

Thanks for the offer. Your tips look great! The kit comes with 2 tips that have the meshing cast in. They look alright, so I'm gonna stick with the kit parts. Thanks!

[​IMG]

8. merkava74

So, continuing the build, I tackled the visor today. The fibreglass visor is a b@#$h to clean up, and the glass dust can cut your skin in a million tiny places. Work safe guys.

Here is the visor half done (forgot to take a photo of the visor in its original state):

[​IMG]

And here it is sanded down and dry fitted to the helmet. The 2 plates at the bottom that join to the helmet will be fixed on later for a perfect fit:

[​IMG]

Next, as the visor came as a glassed piece, I had to fill up the inside with filler to make it look better as a solid piece. Here is the first rough fill. I'm sure I would have to give it another later after this dries. The lazy bum that I am, I only filled in those areas that will be visible. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this is waiting to dry for 24hrs.

Next, I gave the helmet a coat of primer to see where the micro bubbles and imperfections are. There are minimal. Tamiya putty will do the trick, sand down, and then prime again:

[​IMG]

The rest of the greeblies have been sanded down, holes drilled, and ready for primer and paint:

[​IMG]

I almost forgot. Had to drill the corresponding holes in the helmet sides (both sides) for a good fit with the greeblies later:

[​IMG]

9. merkava74

While waiting for everything to dry, I made the stencil for the visor pattern on my Silhouette Cameo cutter. This will be cut on vinyl sticker for masking later.

[​IMG]

10. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is very interesting. being a newbie i don't know how rare this helmet is, but by judging from everyone posts it seems you have a very hard find. congratulations on scoring such a rare piece. i think your work is phenomenal i watched your other threads and was very impressed. i feel your pain when it comes to fiberglass grinding that stuff gets everywhere... idk about you but it seems to always burn the inside of my nose when grind glass, i always where a mask because of this reason

keep going strong, i love all the pics

11. merkava74

Thanks for your kind words!

EVO3's Cody helmets are touted to be one of the best available, and he's a very busy man to catch hold of, let alone get the helmet, so yes it was a stroke of luck that I landed one!

Yes, a face mask is important when grinding either glass or resin. In fact, even spraying primer is extremely hazardous to your lungs! Work safe, everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. merkava74

Managed to squeeze in a little bit of time to get the mic tips primed, base-coated with black, toned with German Grey, and then dry brushed the mesh with Flat Aluminium. Still need a coat of clear before weathering with wash and dry brushing again.

[​IMG]

mugatu likes this.
  13. alienbuilder

looking nice

merkava74 likes this.
  14. merkava74

Today was a good day, except for a huge accident with my Cody which I will share in this post. Nevertheless, lots were done today, so here goes.

Woke up and found my visor filler hardened, so I went for a second layer, and this time also filled the front of the visor. Let dry again before sanding. I'm hoping I don't need a third layer. We'll see:

[​IMG]

Next, sanded the helmet down again, and primed it again, ready for paint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The primer colour is exactly what I wanted for the base coat, and so I went straight to toning it with my own mix of Off-white, which is essentially White with a dash of Buff (all Tamiya Enamels).

[​IMG]

By toning, I mean not spraying the entire thing white and filling every corner and edge. Essentially, I spray liberally on all the flat surfaces, right up to near the edges or corners, where I mist the white, showing a little of the grey underneath. This allows more depth to the paint, and has a little wear and tear feel to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The white is paler than what you see from my iPhone.

Next, I tackled the 2 brown pieces on the top of the helmet. This is a b$#@h to mask, as there are a lot of curves. One point to note for all fellow builders: when you are spraying over white stuff, MASK EVERYTHING! Overspray will get onto your white, especially when I am going to spray "downwards" towards the rest of the helmet. Also, in case you're wondering, after every coat, before the next masking, I will top-coat it with clear matt. This will seal the previous layer and not be pulled by the masking tape later.

[​IMG]

Ready for the browns!
    [​IMG]

A base coat of Flat Brown was used (toning, remember?)
    [​IMG]

And then toned with Flat Earth:
    [​IMG]

Masking removed to reveal a very nice result:
    [​IMG]

THIS IS WHERE I REALISED MY MISTAKE!!!!

I USED THE WRONG COLOUR!!!

In my confusion, I dipped into my box of paints meant for my Boushh... FML!!! I didn't check the reference before spraying, and only felt something was wrong after I removed the masking and thought it looked kinda dark....

So there was 2 options:

1. RE-MASK the * thing and start over.

2. Tone with the right colour by hand, and repair overspray later.

Yup, you guessed it. Mr. Not-going-to-go-through-that-masking-**** chose option 2.

Here you see it toned with the right colour this time: Dark yellow with a dash of black:
    [​IMG]

You can see where the overspray went. All around the brown pieces.

So now I'm going to have to mask the brown pieces this time, and spray white on the overspray areas. Masking done:
    [​IMG]

White sprayed over the overspray browns:
    [​IMG]

Note that I lost some toning in these areas. :(

But the final results was much closer to the reference photos. Repair successful!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, was masking for the dark grey band on the sides and back:
    [​IMG]

Hit it with a base coat of Black:
    [​IMG]

Next, toning with Dark Grey:
    [​IMG]

Masking removed. I like the look of that:
    [​IMG]

Did the right ear too, since it was the same Dark Grey:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Masked the top band for the dark red, which was Flat red with a tiny dash of black:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see a bit of overspray, but luckily, that is going to be sprayed Black later. Also, it will be very much hidden by the orange visor. Nevertheless, this is a clear sign that I am no longer focusing, and getting sloppy. Time to call it a day!

Quite a fruitful one at that!

Thanks for viewing!

15. mugatu

Excellent paint job! Thanks for sharing...the results from your technique are very cool looking. This helmet is really coming together extremely well!

16. merkava74

Thanks for viewing and commenting!

mugatu likes this.
  17. merkava74

Didn't have much time today. In fact, I'm going to have at most 2 hours each day for the next 2 weeks. And it's going to be in the evenings. In case you are not aware, never spray in cool weather. Paint have a life of their own in cool weather. And it is not a good life.

So sanded down the inside of the visor, and I'm going to call this done:

[​IMG]

Did a test fit over the helmet, and I was very relieved that the visor did not warp due to the filler, and the space for the 2 attachments to the cheek are just nice without having to bend the visor any more. Phew!

[​IMG]

Well, that's all for today. Could only do so much in a short time (sanding takes up a lot of time, and sore fingers), and I am also starting on other builds! (Royal guard... see my other thread!)

Thanks for viewing!

mugatu likes this.
  18. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW you are fooling around this is some serious progress! looking great

19. merkava74

Thanks! It's going to be slower from here. I have less time per day to do my helmets... :(

20. merkava74

Update for today. Continued the paint job for the helmet. First, masked the brow which will be sprayed black. So much work for so little area....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, masked the area at the back which will also be sprayed black:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hand painted the mouth area as it was too difficult to mask.

[​IMG]

Then masked the nose vents for spraying Dark Grey:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Progress so far. I'm not worried about the edges between colours being too contracting for now, as these will be blended down during weathering using washes:

[​IMG]

Mic tips glued:

[​IMG]

Next, I taped the visor in the position that I wanted and then glued the tabs that join the cheeks to the visor. As I mentioned earlier, I was glad the visor did not warp, and the tabs could be glued to the visor without any adjustments or bending of the visor.

[​IMG]

Here you can see how the tabs are joined to the visor from the inside. Perfect fitment!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how the visor looks like with the tape removed after the glue has dried. It basically holds itself in this position without needing any glue or screws or magnets. Note that I will not be trooping in this helmet, and thus do not need to secure the visor in place, which is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's the progress for today. What's next will be the painting of the visor of course, and the ear greeblies, head camera thingy, mouthpiece, blue cheek stripes, orange triangle markings around the mic tips, and that would be the end of stage 1 painting, before the weathering process begins.

Thanks for viewing!

mugatu likes this.
  21. mugatu

Man, I want this helmet so bad!

merkava74 likes this.
  22. merkava74

Get it, mugatu! It's a beauty!

Update:

Couldn't sleep, so I did the one thing that won't wake the neighbours. Stuck on the decals for the cheek stripes! The essence of Cody is beginning to show!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also finalised the stencil for the visor markings and the orange triangles at the mic tips. Ready to send to the cutter!

[​IMG]

23. alienbuilder

great progress. cant wait to see the paintjob completed.

merkava74 likes this.
  24. merkava74

Thanks, alienbuilder!

Here's the update for today:

Masked and sprayed the 4 strips on the helmet with Dark Grey:

[​IMG]

Completed and glued the comunicator thingy on the left ear:

[​IMG]

Did the same for the antenna thingy on the right:

[​IMG]

Finished up the detail for the mouth piece and glued it on:

[​IMG]

Masked and sprayed the camera thingy on the head and glued it on:

[​IMG]

Masked the orange triangles using my custom stencils:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both sides done! The iconic orange is on Cody!

[​IMG]

Sprayed and toned the visor with a base-coat of Orange with Black, and toned with Orange with Dark Yellow as the final orange colour:

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist putting it on just to see how it looks! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LO AND BEHOLD!!! One of those days when your primer decides not to bite!!!! This happened after I peeled the masking off....

[​IMG]

It happens, I guess.... So, start all over for the visor again. Strip the paint with thinner, and start over.

Hello again, fibreglass:

[​IMG]

Hello again, Primer:

[​IMG]

The thinner stripped off my fillings too. Gonna wait till it dries and then apply putty again. Sigh...

In the meantime, the rest of the helmet has been given 2 coats of clear gloss, in preparation for weathering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna have to call it a day. Since the accident with the visor means I have to go to the shop to get more orange.

Picasso69 and RacerMachX like this.
  25. mugatu

Superb! Thanks for including the photos. This just looks spectacular. Shame about the primer, but this helmet is right off the screen.

merkava74 likes this.
  26. merkava74

Thanks for your kind words! This is probably how it looked like fresh out of the Kamino factory! Hahaha!

27. sctcarts

sctcarts Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent build!

merkava74 likes this.
  28. alienbuilder

very nice with the orange zick zack mouth piece. sometimes these primer problems can make you crazy, I know that. fortunately it was "just" the visor, when it happens at the absolutely last step you can do everything again. well, its always tricky with resin or fiberglas. I remember when a friend of mine did the filler for the aluminium helmets. the primer was not as good as expected then and next day we were able to pull up the whole layer and start over again. 6 hours for nothing:)

anyway, this helmet looks already great.

29. merkava74

Thanks. You're right. The problem was contained only on the visor, which was not such a pain since I have spare stencils which I cut from my cutting machine. So it's just the pain of having to start over, and weathering of the helmet would just have to wait for the visor to catch up.

30. merkava74

Started on the weathering of the helmet today.

[​IMG]

The method that I use is staining, which is essentially applying Raw Umber oil paint directly onto the helmet. This is why the helmet had to be glossed in the previous step. If you tried to stain on a matt helmet, the oil paint will stick into the paintwork of the helmet, and you would get a real mess. Having it gloss allows you to wipe off the excess paint easily without affecting the paintwork below.

The process is very simple: apply the oil paint directly onto the corners of the helmet, wipe off the excess, and blend using a soft cloth. If you want it darker, remove less, and vice versa. Also, if it gets too dark, you can easily use white oil paint to lighten it back up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can compare the difference between the side that is stained and the side that is not. Raw Umber has the added benefit that it makes the white truly off-white.

[​IMG]

Hope you like the result. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some closeups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Staining also has the benefit of softening the transitions between colours, like between the red brow and white, making it look natural and not show a stark edge.

Thain, Zwilliamo, Frakfest and 2 others like this.
  31. joshimus

joshimus Active Member

WOW buddy Im really enjoying your build threads and your paintwork is AMAZING.

32. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Very nice, thank you for sharing your techniques with clear photos

33. merkava74

Thanks mate! ;)

Thanks Vacformedhero. I guess this is what this forums is about, enjoying builds and sharing. That's how I learnt too, from the many talented people here!

34. BobasBounty

BobasBounty Well-Known Member

This is spectacular! I love how this is coming along.

35. merkava74

Thanks for your kind words man! I'm enjoying the build too! :)

36. mugatu

Your painting skills are awesome!
    It looks hyper real to me, which is dumb sounding since it is real. But the weathering and the rest of it is just amazing.

37. merkava74

Thanks man! It is ironic that I am trying to be "realistic", when the "real" helmet is actually CGX trying to be real itself! Hahaha!

Picasso69 and mugatu like this.
  38. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Really good job on assembling helmet! :D

39. merkava74

Thanks! Have not been able to continue this until the end of this week due to my work... arggghh! I can't wait to get back to it!!

mugatu likes this.
  40. merkava74

So folks!

After 2 weeks away from my workbench, I finally could get back to finishing Cody, and finish him I did!

Picking up from where I left off, the next step was to finish up the visor. Here you see it painted with orange and waiting to be toned with a darker shade:

[​IMG]

Then the markings were stenciled on. As you would recall, this was the step that ended in a disaster the last time round. Well, this time it came out perfectly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I had to add the blaster damages and more weathering. Essentially, using Ivory Black oil paints, I dry brushed the parts that I wanted to have the damage or weathering, and then blended with a soft cloth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how it looks like with the weathering complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last thing is to spray the helmet with a matt coat, and fix on the clear visor, and we're done!

Hope you like the final product!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for viewing!

Thain, Zwilliamo, TooMuchBBQ and 5 others like this.
  41. alienbuilder

great build!

merkava74 likes this.
  42. Gnar Gnar Jinn

Gnar Gnar Jinn Active Member

:cryIt's Beautiful!:cry

merkava74 likes this.
  43. merkava74

Thanks guys!

44. mugatu

Awesome build and documentation. Your end result is really a professional/master level job. I love how it looks.

45. merkava74

Thanks for your kind words!

46. markmg

markmg New Member

Amazing work.:thumbsup

47. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

That is a beautiful paint job! Nice work

48. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

We'll done , looks fantastic

49. Crixe

Crixe New Member

I'm definitely going to try out using oil paints for weathering on my next helmet I'm starting on in the fall. Your work looks great. Really enjoyed the step by step of it all.

50. nogga_nootch

nogga_nootch Well-Known Member

I am agog, that is fantastic.