Capt Jack Harkness Coat?

lols. I ended up buying some Italian Wool from a place here in town, and getting it custom made.

I think It came out pretty nicely.

46930_1478106007076_1666530037_1154541_3192909_n.jpg

45886_122220051162440_100001233381289_150797_4986853_n.jpg

And Because it was AWESOME

57975_1505597334342_1666530037_1215969_7734006_n.jpg

And yes, the look on my face is because I am resisting the urge to GEEK THE F*CK OUT!
Someone trying to quit smoking?

That's been my experience with everything Doctor Who. I've seen a lot of the original fabrics and ties used in the show and what I've seen has been that everything's been a bit darker than I had expected. Especially Tennant's coat material, which isn't really a brown, but more like black and gold woven together.
The only reason I mention this is from replica costumes I have worked on that had a bit of bright coloring to them but were washed out a bit from lighting in the film. Not a lot, but enough that I noticed the color in close up shots with out flash and even with flash show the garment as brighter than it apeared on film. Although this item was under a spot light. THat's why I say you "might' want to. LOL!

I will add that navy is probably not a good choice (I probably sound argumentive, sorry) but the cotton coat I am looking at is a medium tone grey. The highlights give off just a faint bue that can be achieved using baby blue or light blue with black and grey RIT Dye. I find that RIT mixes well in a similar fasion as mixing oil paints to achieve the right pigment. So I always use both black and...I think it's Heather Grey, when attempting any shade of Grey. I feel strongly about the dye mixture for me....but we always do what we feel we can achieve with what we know.

I must say that I am overwhelmed by the amount of responses here.

I have got some good leads, and I want to thank all of you for your input.

Once I get one, I'll be sure to post pics.

I agree, I think I overestimated the amount of blue. I do however think there should be some blue, and it should be navy, not a lighter blue. Maybe mix a bottle of pearly grey, a cap of black, and a cap of navy blue. That would get you a darker grey than the pearl color would normally allow with a hint of blue.

I'm glad I found this again, because I wanted to mention...

Regardless of what mix you use to get your color.....start with a light colored fabric to begin with. I suggest biege, not natural, but biege or cream or even a light blue or light grey fabric.

Do not attempt to dye a solid white fabric to the medium tone. It may be something that can be accomplished, but over time and washing Rit will begin to fade. Starting with a light color helps achieve your desired color and will help fight a little against washing fade.

Amadscientist - Thank you, and I imagine he was. Or maybe just that in the convention environment, it was too difficult to get out to have a smoke?

On that coat. It looks not bad. A custom coat is always better than a store bought one, and the stripes seem off to me, but its not bad.

I'm curious about the hellocosplay coat as well. I was looking at getting one, but would like to see actual pics rather than the company pics before I buy.

The HelloCosplay coat looks to be nicer than either the cosplaybuy or cosplaysky coats, although I'm already planning to add the proper buttons and rank braid.

Anyone have an idea on the boots? I'm going cross-eyed searching the internet for a pair that even comes close. :confused

I was thinking they were probably Caterpillars, but nothing in their current catalog is correct. Of course, it should be expected that Cat has restyled their boots over the years, as I can see similarities with what's on screen with what Cat typically produces.

Here's what I can tell about the boots from screen caps...

The boots have a seam down the side (from instep to heel cap) that are sewn directly on top of the boot upper, not through a cut in the upper and stiched inside...if you know what I mean.

Captain_Jack2.jpg

tw106_00082-1.jpg

tw207_0079.jpg

Also, it's a plain toe, and does not appear to be a steel or composite toe due to the lack of a pronounced dome in the 2nd photo.

torchwood04.jpg

ep01_team_01.jpg

tw201_0269.jpg

The real boots appear to have 7...I think...lace points (three pairs of eyelets, followed by two pairs of hooks, and one pair of eyelets at the top of the boot).

tw106_00080.jpg

torchwood02.jpg

The top of the boot is plain (not padded).

tw106_00081.jpg

tw3_day1_1479.jpg

And it has a what looks like a newer Vibram lug sole. The early Vibram soles (Vietnam era boots) did not have the "cleat" in the U on the heel from what I've seen.

tw202_1242.jpg

tw202_1241.jpg

And there do not appear to be any logos on the heel cap or top of the boot that I can make out.

Last edited by a moderator:
After all that, had I read the thread on SciFiHero.net, I would have saved myself a TON of time! :wacko :cry

They are Caterpillars, in a style referred to as "Luke."

From an eBay.co.uk auction for a pair (wrong color)...

Style number:- 707678(A2)
Style name:- Luke
The style number may include the color spec, so be careful.

I recently ordered a Captain Jack Harkness coat from Sanjay Suri of Replicaters. Custom made and fits perfectly. Came out very nice, although it's missing the Group Captain Shoulder Insiginia, but I'm sure you could request he make those as well. You can ask to substitute a particular fabric for anything, I believe mine is wool. I'm not big into replicas so I don't know all the nitty details about it. The wool jacket is VERY HEAVY, weighing in at about 6 pounds. But, perfect for cold weather as well as cosplay.

Cost was $155 delivered (Delivery from Kanpur, India 3 day shipping) Took about 3-4 weeks for it to be made.

Contact Info:
Sanjay Suri
sanjaysuri65@rediffmail.com

If you would like pictures of my jacket, let me know and I'll post them. I only got it on Tuesday 10/26, but I thought I'd share my experience. Sanjay is a very polite businessman and extremely friendly. He'll ask you to fill out a size chart for the coat (He'll give you a white officers coat size chart, but don't worry, that's just the one he uses for measurements) And he will put it in production. It's good to stay in touch with him over the process as well. I e-mailed him twice a week or so while my coat was being made. I do highly recommend Sanjay. Keep in mind, there are 5 different types of coats that John Barrowman uses on Torchwood, so you may want to specifiy which one you want with a picture or something.

**EDIT**
I was reading and saw that someone said that John Barrowman was allergic to wool. This is correct. So if you want accuracy of material from Torchwood, his coats are made from Moleskin. Just to save you some internet research :D

I know of Sanjay, and have heard a few good things, and some downright horror stories. Plus, I find it hard to trust a company that posts few, if any, pictures of their own products. Just sayin'.

I find it odd you felt it necessary to email him twice a week. Was that by his request, or your decision, and for what reason?

Can you post some pics of your coat from Sanjay, Pat?

I e-mailed him twice a week because the thought of trusting some random person that I've never met a rather hard thing to do. Then, I researched and found the horror stories myself. To be honest, I was afraid I had been ripped off. But he came through in the end. I'll get the pictures up by tomorrow afternoon, going to a Halloween party where I'll be wearing my the coat, so I'll take some pictures prior to.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back