Capt Jack Harkness Coat?

In other news, my costume continues to come together. I acquired these pieces recently. The holster needs dying, but the rest I'm pretty happy with.
jack%2Bharkness%2Bcostume%2Bpieces.jpg

Full details and links to suppliers can be found on my blog.
The Project Workbench: Captain Jack Harkness Costume Pieces Arrive

Love the GUnnison boots as they are close enough but even THOSE in soft toe are hard to find, lol. I'd rather not get the steel toe, too heavy....oh well.

I like the idea of a Jack Harkness coat and have been reading a few threads with interest. But I have some questions...

Are these all effectively the same product...
http://shop.scificollectorshop.co.u...wood-captain-jack-coat-official-jacket-medium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-...ntasyCollectables_EH&var=&hash=item3a72434706

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005PNPD...ve=22134&creativeASIN=B005PNPD2W&linkCode=asn

From what I've read it sounds like one of these might be a good starting point, but would need some changes to be more accurate.
Any other comments or advice?

I like the idea of a Jack Harkness coat and have been reading a few threads with interest. But I have some questions...

Are these all effectively the same product...
Official Torchwood Captain Jack Harkness Replica Coat - Scificollector -Creators of the Torchwood Figures & Exclusive Doctor Who Merchandise

OFFICIAL TORCHWOOD CAPTAIN JACK HARKNESS REPLICA COAT / JACKET | eBay

Official Torchwood Captain Jack Harkness Replica Coat Coat: Amazon.co.uk: Clothing

From what I've read it sounds like one of these might be a good starting point, but would need some changes to be more accurate.
Any other comments or advice?

Those are all the Abbyshot coat. I had a look at it in the person, but fell between sizes - as a 38, the "Medium' was too baggy on me.

Anyway, it's a really great starting point, you may want to change the buttons, but for the money it's good. My only other comment is that it looks heavyish, but is actually pretty light, almost like a "theatrical" coat. In a lot of ways that may be a good thing, but it threw me off.

here are shots of my abbyshot

I like the coat it's warm if it's hot out you will cook in it:lol

I ordered a xxl if I was to order again would go xl the xxl is big on me now

like others have said replaced a few things

all buttons are real KC buttons and changed the placement of the buttons in more of a straight line as the buttons have a bit of a curve to them from abbyshot easy fix

changed the epaulettes as they are not long enough thanks to Bootlegger137 for getting another belt from abbyshot to use to lengthen the epaulettes

and change the rank braid also

other than that a great starting point in my opinion if you can score a real RAF greatcoat from ebay that would also be a good starting point and maybe cheaper but again only my opinion

need more shots or other info I can pass along PM away

I used an army surplus greatcoat for my Captain Jack, however I have a WWII German version as opposed to a British one as it was damnnear impossible for me to find at the time. I had to buy and attach the shoulder rank slides myself. There is a pic of it in my avatar although you can only see shoulders. It's not exactly what you'd call 'screen accurate' but for AUD$60 it was a pretty good buy and it gets the point across :D

So, I've been trying to find an RAF greatcoat both for cosplaying Captain Jack and for general wear, but they seem to be incredibly hard to come by these days. However, I've found a few Belgian Air Force greatcoats that are more affordable, and seem to look fairly similar. Would one of those (I'd also get actual RAF rank slides for the epaulettes, mind you), in your opinions, be suitable for a Jack cosplay? I'm not trying to be 100% accurate, just good enough.

Cameron - looks like a good option. Skirting and belt at the back give it a bit of shape, which you need unless you're going for the "historical" Empty Child version of Jack.

I don't mean to break any rules by posting these links. In fact if I am please remove

I've been impersonating Jack Sparrow for the last 6 years and became good friends with a couple people who have been able to help me complete the outfit.

For anyone looking for Jack Sparrow's boots and coat:
I got my boots from Champion Attitude Boot Company Swashbuckler | Jack Sparrow Boots Cowboy Boots to Wear, Cowboy Boots to Admire. - They have both his Tan color from Pirates 2+3 and his chocolate from 1+4
If you want the best possible coat I would suggest contacting Scott from Yordreem Creations: http://yordreem.com/costuming/replica-jack-sparrow-items/
Any sort of leather work I would talk to my friend Richard from *ACME*brand on ebay.

Cheers
-Anthony

*EDIT* Now I think we're talking about two different characters... I'll shut up lol

Last edited:
Fire up this old thread, lol

I just got the Abby Shot version today. I own 2 (formerly 3) authentic WWII RAF Officers Greatcoats to compare with. These are my observations:

The color is spot on to the real thing, but Jacks looks to be a bit bluer (at least on Miracle Day). That could be any number of things like lighting, post coloration, different coats, etc. but my AS and original match. Also the AS has a great feel to it, similar to the high end tailored coat I have made with very smooth wool.

The repro is much lighter (as I had hoped) and had a share of wrinkles out of the bag, The original will Not wrinkle, it's too thick and heavy, I guess.

The epaulets, as noted, are way off. Nearly an inch short and a bit thin. Also, the belt is easily 17" too long. I'm talking about a medium size coat. It actually fits me quite nicely over all. I may do what the other poster did and take the belt down to the correct size and use the ample remainder to replace the epaulets. (I believe he had an extra belt to work with, but there is loads of extra length to work with).

I have already purchased the proper rank ribbon to replace the poor reproduction on here. And I'm looking for authentic buttons and Belt Buckle. Speaking of buttons, it's hysterical to see where they placed the top set.. They should be placed so the collar can be buttoned all the way up...not even close. I'll soon sort that out as well.

Overall, as a long coat, I like it more than I had expected. It is well made, I like the material inside and out. And It fits longer on me than I thought. Fantastic!
Eventually I could follow up with pictures if there is any interest.

Meanwhile, if anyone can point me to an authentic buckle and/or buttons, it will be greatly appreciated

Just to let you guys know abbyshot is discontinuing all Dr Who coat including Captain Jacks. They're asking 199.99 plus shipping. Everywhere else is asking $300+.

Here is the 2016 Abby Shot version with correct braid and buttons (properly positioned in front) Just got it back from the tailor today.
I still cant find a proper belt buckle.

0811161404.jpg0811161407.jpg0811161406.jpg

No idea why they are sideways. Not like that on my computer. and VERY slow to upload, FYI.

Hi everyone !

I don't know if this topic is still watched, but I am currently on a captain Jack's cosplay, and I wondered about his boots... I know that the "Luke" boots from Caterpillar are impossible to find, and that usually, the "gunnison" boots are known to be the closest, but I wondered what you thought about these (the Rockwell boots). To me, they seem more accurate than the "Gunnison". Which one do you find the closest ?
Caterpillar-ROCKWELL-1735268_1200_A.jpg

Thanks !

Those would be good in tan. Do you know if they come in the right color? I've never liked the gunnison boots either.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back