Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Nice first try! It's been a long time since I've used the toothbrush trick, but I think thinning the paint will produce smaller specs. Also less paint on the brush is best, use multiple passes to build up density.

Sorry Rob, I don't remember if this has been covered, but have you tried using a spray gun?
It would be more work to have to clean but You'd have better control and it would be easier than a toothbrush.
Anyway it's looking great.

Bob, Build-Up! Less is More! (...more or less!) Take your time. You can always add flecks (subtracting flecks = Not so easy!) Thin your paint, ...but keep in mind that Too thin & Gravity = da Runs & flecks that will look oval & tear-drop shaped.
Try different types of T-brushes = Hard/Medium/Soft - Bristle (the longer / the Better) & if memory serves this old dog, Softer bristles work better for Small flecks)
And keep in mind that it's 1976! T-brushes were made different then, bristles were the Same Length. And try T-brushes with some of the bristle-section removed. (leaving 1/2 to 3/4 inches of bristle). Less is... you know.

Lastly, Tamiya is a solvent-based acrylic, also try using Water based paints, like Floquil R/R colors - or something like regular ol house paint.
And remember to - Have FUN!

Lastly, Tamiya is a solvent-based acrylic, also try using Water based paints, like Floquil R/R colors - or something like regular ol house paint.
And remember to - Have FUN!

Yes... Tamiya does break down with water, but not very well, and if it dries, you're stuck with it. I grabbed the Tamiya as its pretty thin out of the bottle, so for a quick and dirty test (literally five minutes, masking included) it worked out.

I'll try your suggestions....

The first time I gave Tamiya thinner the sniff-test, my girl friend at the time, who was standing near-by, sniffed the air & said, "That's Isopropyl". (She was a Nurse) Anyway, I said, "wha, huh? She replied, "Rubbing Alcohol, you big Silly." I kissed her cheek & bought her a nice lunch with some of the money she saved me.

vaderdarth is Right! The Spray test does look better - Size-wise, but the issue of Consistency & Permanence (re: Rattlecans) gives me a big Pause for Concern!

Last edited:
vaderdarth is Right! The Spray test does look better - Size-wise, but the issue of Consistency & Permanence (re: Rattlecans) gives me a big Pause for Concern!

I've got a rattle-can black that gives pretty consisent and just about perfect results. I don't have a really good white though.

I'm thinking with the toothbrush, that the less paint that's in there (and the harder I have to coax it out) the finer the mist will be. Thoughts?

BTW and FWIW, all this talk is not a stalling tactic. I'm not holding back due to uncertainty or anything. Just exploring the topics inbetween work sessions on the model.

It looks great. I think the rattle can looks better but not quite right. I think using a combination of both (getting just a few of the larger speckles) would get a result very similar to the DS photo. Seems there is a great deal of small speckles but a few smaller larger speckles like your toothbrush results. Looking forward to your progress.

A lot of the paints used in 1976 were krylon rattlecan products... I iamgine that a krylon rattle can with a semi dirty nozzel will produce that effect quite nicely... something else to experiment with...

Jedi Dade

Looking great!! I'd say use combination of both methods with just a slightly bit less of the toothbrush to get a few more of the larger speckles in there and slowly build up your layers until you reach the density that matches to the original..........just keep going doing what your doing, take your time, it's lookin kick ass!!
Jim

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back