Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

Stow that noise, you guys! Get on with it Homewood!!! <furtively shuffles unfinished Narcissus moulds out of view>

Fantastic build, fantastic moulding techniques, fantastic jaw tendons...well, you get my drift; eager to see the next episode:cool

Thanks for the kinds words Folks :)

Unfortunately I have no updates for you at the moment (cash flow problems). However I'm working on sorting this out but it may be a couple of months before I can get some more materials & crack on.
Many thanks for the interest & I'll update as soon as I can :)

Wow really cool great job and its so highly detailed with a bada** base that it sits on. :)

Right, I've still not got any more materials but I just couldn't sit idly doing nothing so I thought I'd make use of what I've got for now. I was intending to leave this stage until last but its all I can do atm & its getting done :)
756.JPG

757.JPG

I've still got lots to do on this but I'm happy with how this is going :)

Last edited:

Tell us about what you've done here. Leigh. Is this going to be the... what you call it... buck? What's it made from?

Tell us about what you've done here. Leigh. Is this going to be the... what you call it... buck? What's it made from?

Its made on a head cast with a P40 reinforcer running right down the middle of the head through the spines. I then made a temp mould & filled out the basic shape with rigid urethane foam followed by a couple of layers of fibreglass over the foam. The foam also absorbed a fair bit of the polyester resin while I was glassing it up. I'm now bulking out the overall shape with more P40 or Upol equivalent (UPOL B I think), it'll receive a thin layer of regular polyester body filler & it'll be finished with UPOL Top-Stop & a few coats of VHT paint. Once all that's done I'll cut away the rest of the head & build a fiberglass support for the buck.
That's the current plan anyway :)

Ok, this is the last update for a week or so as I'm going away :)

Still plenty to do but its getting there:
758.JPG

759.JPG

:)

Last edited:

Its been a while since I looked in on this sculpt but the results are "jaw dropping" in every sense!!!!. "The Book of the Alien" and "The Vaults" pictures are absolutely indistinguishable from this build. You've done fantastic work here on my favorite cinema monster Leigh,Bravo!!!

Many thanks for the kind words Chaps :)

Ok, well I've got the basic shape done & I'm pleased with how its turned out :)
760.JPG

761.JPG

762.JPG

763.JPG

764.JPG

I'll skim over the surface of this now with a polyester stopper, a light rub down & a coat of paint :)

Last edited:

The dome is looking Fantastic! :) I really like the added ridge on top.
I'm not sure if it's maybe a tad too prominent/raised compared to this:

alien1979directorscut10.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell. May be easier when your dome has got its first coat of paint.

Really looking forward to see how it looks in it's final translucent form covering the great sculpt underneath. :cool

-K

Thanks guy's :)

Yeah some of the features are a bit too prominent your right, I didn't have this pic to hand, Thanks :)
I'll knock the ridge & the nose back a little, though I do have to leave them a tad more prominent than they should be due to this being the buck.
When the dome is vac-formed over this I'm expecting it'll subtle down the features a bit? I can only guess by how much though :confused

Ah, yeah didn't think about the vac-forming process. I think you're right about that it'll smooth the features out a bit.
I also think the little bump on the nose will be evened out just a tiny bit and leave a perfect shape.
I have no experience in vac-forming though, so my guess is as good as yours. :)

Hello Leigh, I think you 've increased your nose. Last night I covered the scene of the first crime movie alien ,to understand the degree of the transparent dome ( my problem). but at the same time I have also observed the front shape of the dome and I realized that my nose was too big dome ,especially vertically, instead of your own ,previous to this, your last change, that was perfect with the film.

if I understand it ,"VAC forming" corresponds to thermoformed . I used to do my thermoformed dome, but the undercut zones has not made or broke the piece at the time of extraction. Maybe also depends on the material and its thickness . The thickness of departure that I used, is 5mm 3mm to get done, in the most subtle maybe 2mm . I wonder how do Yoshihiko Sano, perhaps injection ? It would not be within the reach of my pockets . : (

always trying to understand the opacity ,shortly after the scene indicated by SankaraRaider ,ie when alien leaves the niche ,it is visible ,for a moment ,in the central area and cross of the dome ,what seems to me a joint.

OK, I've fettled it a bit & given it a coat of silver just for reference really, silver shows off the overall shape nicely:

765.JPG

766.JPG

I still have some work to do on the undercuts, they're still a bit scruffy. The next step will be to cut it free of the rest of the head. I'll then sort out the undercuts & build a support for it to finish the buck.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back