Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Its back on!

Keep up the amazing work dude! :)

Regarding Alclad chrome. I believe they now offer a clear coat to use with the chrome that doesn't dull the chrome look. Or, if you want, you can use Future Floor Wax but you have to mist it on, so as not to dull it. The issue with clear coating chrome has always been caused by applying a thick covering layer which basically uncures the chrome, which caused the dulling.

Expensive automotive clear coat is supposed to be even better than Alclad's clear coat.

Yeah
it's back on!
I'm following this tread since the beginning. Can't wait to see progress on it again! :)

Just to say... I'll be starting off by getting the body mould finished followed by the mould for the fin for the back. Those are my first priorities with Bob :)

I'll be starting in the next couple of days :)

I don't really know until its tested :/
I have considered how they'll distort while the mouth is in the open position & I'm hoping they'll distort uniformly. I suspect there'll be a little rising of the lips in the corners of the mouth? The intention is to bond nearly all of the surface behind the top & bottom lips to the face, So they should mostly stay put :)

Yes, I think it is better to glue the lips. It would be possible to create different hardness or density among the areas that should stand still and those that have to stretch, in the same casting? Maybe it's too complicated.

Yep, difficult, although I'm sure I could figure a way if that was my mission :) Maybe injecting different hardness silicone in specific area's? I'd need a transparent mould I think :/

This will be a closed mould. The inside of the cast is shaped to fit the upper & lower jaw as closely as I can get it to provide the largest bondable surface area :)

WOW it is really amazing that this project is still alive! I remember that I came across Bob in 2012. Leigh, your work has been the reason for me to join the RPF. I can't wait to see new material and pics!

OK, These are the parts I'll be dealing with for now :)

I need to finish creating the moulds for the body & this is where its at this morning:
823.JPG

822.JPG

I haven't touched this since 04 Dec 2013!!! :eek How time flies!

I'll also be making the moulds for the fin, here:
824.JPG

:)

Last edited:

OK, These are the parts I'll be dealing with for now :)

I need to finish creating the moulds for the body & this is where its at this morning:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/823_zpsdq2dycs6.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/822_zpsfqwajpz0.jpg

I haven't touched this since 04 Dec 2013!!! :eek How time flies!

I'll also be making the moulds for the fin, here:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/824_zps9a0nftx5.jpg

:)

Beautiful! It may also be sold separately as an ornament.

I thought you had already made the molds. Maybe I had not understood, or is it a change?

I stopped halfway through because I ran out of rubber :)

This piece will be one piece rubber & two piece jacket with a partition right down the middle :)
I wondered how long before someone questioned that :D

I should really have made a separate part for the underside of the foot of this piece :unsure
The second coat is on now, just the Thixo coats to go :)

I killed an ostrich along the way. :)

I had never worked with fiberglass. When I started, I did following the technique you've just told you, because it is the one that is the most popular. But I was scared, because I not like working with the resin, is a very slow process, get dirty gloves of resin and fiber, pan, that should always clean. Then the large pieces tend to rise on tight bends. Maybe you do not have this problem, because uses the silicone rubber that prepares the surface of the model. But I layered directly on the model, making more breakdowns to overcome the undercut. I actually use the pieces very small, 3-4 cm, I get tearing, roll, Mat. within 20 minutes it tears 2 square meters. It supports quite well even on vertical surfaces. The advantage is that you can draw on all fiber model, already with very thick, and at once, without getting your hands dirty, the brushes over the resin that you keep in a plastic cup to throw away. There remain only the brushes to clean once after work, leaving them to soak in the tub with the solvent. This method is 10 times faster and cleaner. It is not so necessary that the fiber is woven, because these pieces are not of motorcycle or boat hulls, which have to withstand the stresses of the wind or the waves of the sea. This technique taught me one that makes the molds of the trade, and that is also used on the silicone rubber.

That must be a LOT of rubber! Great job! :D I love watching you make molds, they are so clean and you know... perfect! ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back