Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Currently in Limbo

Incredible! You always do things beyond my imagination. :)
This will be a elastic coating?

Thanks guy's :)
I'm hoping to cast this in clear polyurethane rubber. It should be flexible, how flexible I'm not sure but hopefully flexible enough to allow the jaw to open & close.

:)

Thanks guy's :)
I'm hoping to cast this in clear polyurethane rubber. It should be flexible, how flexible I'm not sure but hopefully flexible enough to allow the jaw to open & close.

Looking good, and now that we're seeing cored mouth with tendon parts I'd probably consider clear silicone instead of urethane rubber. The elasticity of platinum silicones, and their paintable or tintable qualities are probably a better fit for this type of project than urethane.
Still, hard to say until you give a go but if this was me I'd probably go with a nice clear, low shore plat silicone.
Loving this build bud. Good luck!

David

Looking good, and now that we're seeing cored mouth with tendon parts I'd probably consider clear silicone instead of urethane rubber. The elasticity of platinum silicones, and their paintable or tintable qualities are probably a better fit for this type of project than urethane.
Still, hard to say until you give a go but if this was me I'd probably go with a nice clear, low shore plat silicone.
Loving this build bud. Good luck!

David

I thought about silicone, my only concerns would be having to use a different paint for the tendons & more importantly gluing it in place! I know there are glues out there but I don't know how strong they'll be??

I thought about silicone, my only concerns would be having to use a different paint for the tendons & more importantly gluing it in place! I know there are glues out there but I don't know how strong they'll be??

Fair points, but my guess is that some of these areas will be translucent to some degree, so right there they wont be the same colors are solid painted resin or urethane plastic or rubber....so you might get some forgiveness there in the color matching in that respect but I think it can be done either way.
As for the gluing, that's easy. You can even use Clear Silicone Caulking, but the real one and I wish I remembered the name of it but yes it can be glued easily. Besides, suction and tension will hold it in place mostly due to it being flush on the inside because you cored it.

In any case, you seem to be rather thorough with your build thus far so I'm sure you'll probably test a few things out before committing one way or the other to any of those materials.

David

I do need to make a decision as I need to make a mould out of a material that's best suited to the casting material :confused

time ago I was interested to make elastic tendons, from a supplier of materials. They advised a silicone rubber by polyaddition low hardness. And to stick with an acetic silicone.

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Its back on!

I'll update as soon as the materials turn up :)
I do have one other quick project that I'll be using some of the new materials on first but it is a very quick one :) I'm still looking up materials to make the tendons from? I'm now thinking silicone might just be the way to go for sure & I'm going to give it a go, just not sure what material to use to make the mould?? Maybe Urethane rubber??

Regarding Alclad chrome. I believe they now offer a clear coat to use with the chrome that doesn't dull the chrome look. Or, if you want, you can use Future Floor Wax but you have to mist it on, so as not to dull it. The issue with clear coating chrome has always been caused by applying a thick covering layer which basically uncures the chrome, which caused the dulling.

I'll update as soon as the materials turn up :)
I do have one other quick project that I'll be using some of the new materials on first but it is a very quick one :) I'm still looking up materials to make the tendons from? I'm now thinking silicone might just be the way to go for sure & I'm going to give it a go, just not sure what material to use to make the mould?? Maybe Urethane rubber??

A semi rigid urethane that is platinum silicone friendly would be perfect. Just be real careful with inhibition. A lot of urethanes are not platinum silicone friendly. I used to cast Dragon Skin into Brush On 40 by Smooth On and never had an issue.
Looking forward to updates bud.

David

Thank you David :)

This is what I'm thinking of using for casting the lips & tendons:

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/rtv-silicone/polycraft-t-15.html

I'm thinking of using this to make the mould:

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyurethane-rubbers/pt-flex-85-rubber.html

This flex 85 is pretty stiff which is what I need! I can put a layer on as a detail coat just like a silicone brush up mould & I can add a thickener to it to stiffen it up for build up. I can then support it with a grp jacket.

This is the thickener:

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyurethane-rubbers/polyfibre.html

What do you think?

Hello Leigh,
I would also like to do the tendons, but your solution is too hard for me. :facepalm
I think if I do, I will make a casting of silicon on a planar mold.
I wanted to ask if during the opening of the mouth of your ALIEN, lips remain rigid position or deform?

I don't really know until its tested :/
I have considered how they'll distort while the mouth is in the open position & I'm hoping they'll distort uniformly. I suspect there'll be a little rising of the lips in the corners of the mouth? The intention is to bond nearly all of the surface behind the top & bottom lips to the face, So they should mostly stay put :)

I would be happy with two interchangeable jaws. I'm curious to see how this whole stretchy thing will work or hold up over time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back