Bill & Ted Face the Music

This is yet another sequel that nobody asked for. My wife and I re-watched the first two movies a couple of weeks ago and she was asking how they were going to deal with all of the newspaper headlines in the closing credits of Bogus. They're just going to ignore them and pretend they never happened, just like now they have daughters instead of sons. This is starting to look like a big skip for me.

This is yet another sequel that nobody asked for. My wife and I re-watched the first two movies a couple of weeks ago and she was asking how they were going to deal with all of the newspaper headlines in the closing credits of Bogus. They're just going to ignore them and pretend they never happened, just like now they have daughters instead of sons. This is starting to look like a big skip for me.

Well, most of them can be still canon, while others can take place long afterwards. Or, you can go with my hypothesis: each film not only takes place after the previous one, but each one takes place in an alternate reality as well (this would explain certain continuity changes, such as why the Circle K in Bogus Journey, hinted to be the same one from the first film, looks drastically different and is in a different location, why the Princesses look different between each film, as well as the police station where Ted's father works is different. This also explains why the future looks different between each film). With that, it could explain the differences in continuity between the new films and the previous ones.

Another option is to quote Nigel from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me: don't think about it and just enjoy yourself. XD

Well, most of them can be still canon, while others can take place long afterwards. Or, you can go with my hypothesis: each film not only takes place after the previous one, but each one takes place in an alternate reality as well (this would explain certain continuity changes, such as why the Circle K in Bogus Journey, hinted to be the same one from the first film, looks drastically different and is in a different location, why the Princesses look different between each film, as well as the police station where Ted's father works is different. This also explains why the future looks different between each film). With that, it could explain the differences in continuity between the new films and the previous ones.

Another option is to quote Nigel from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me: don't think about it and just enjoy yourself. XD

What about those fugly phone booths in Bogus Journey and the awful looking fashion changes? (not that the future looked "great" in the 1st movie, but at least it didn't look like Romper Room like the 2nd one did. I kind of felt sorry for the bad guy as he was right. That future looked AWFUL! The water parks premise of the first movie sounded way better in concept than I Dream of Jeanie bottle looking world. I felt the future had turned into foam pointy finger padded world look or something. I hope this version isn't quite as horrible in the future. The phone booth looked more like in Excellent than Bogus, at least, but I don't know about that "Egg" looking version....

I'm thinking they need a funky Big Pig song remix of I Can't Break Away for the opening. Instead, we'll likely get some bubblegum sounding Ariana Grande song or something equally horrible to appeal to Generation Z (as in Zombies), proving that Keanu and Alex Winter had no say in the movie's production. I read the whole movie only cost $25 Million to make and it took them over half a decade to get someone...anyone to finance it even at that meager price by today's standards (that's like paying $2 Million for a movie in the '70s!) Keanu could have paid it out of pocket, kept it true to the original and pocketed most of the profits to boot. Frankly, I have a really bad feeling about it, even though the alternate futures thing could potentially be funny.

What about those fugly phone booths in Bogus Journey and the awful looking fashion changes? (not that the future looked "great" in the 1st movie, but at least it didn't look like Romper Room like the 2nd one did. I kind of felt sorry for the bad guy as he was right. That future looked AWFUL! The water parks premise of the first movie sounded way better in concept than I Dream of Jeanie bottle looking world. I felt the future had turned into foam pointy finger padded world look or something. I hope this version isn't quite as horrible in the future. The phone booth looked more like in Excellent than Bogus, at least, but I don't know about that "Egg" looking version....

I'm thinking they need a funky Big Pig song remix of I Can't Break Away for the opening. Instead, we'll likely get some bubblegum sounding Ariana Grande song or something equally horrible to appeal to Generation Z (as in Zombies), proving that Keanu and Alex Winter had no say in the movie's production. I read the whole movie only cost $25 Million to make and it took them over half a decade to get someone...anyone to finance it even at that meager price by today's standards (that's like paying $2 Million for a movie in the '70s!) Keanu could have paid it out of pocket, kept it true to the original and pocketed most of the profits to boot. Frankly, I have a really bad feeling about it, even though the alternate futures thing could potentially be funny.

Yes, my hypothesis can explain the booths too if you feel it necessary.

Also, the song by Big Pig is also called "Breakaway" (it itself a cover of a song called "I Can't Break Away" by Chuck Jackson, but the album and single release outside of the soundtrack lists it as just "Breakaway"). The producers for the first film misnamed the song's title for the film and soundtrack (even for the vinyl reissue, they still kept it as "I Can't Break Away" and kept Nelson's name as Power Tool for "Two Heads Are Better Than One."). But, both names for the song are technically correct, given the original song Big Pig covered.

Last edited:
Yes, my hypothesis can explain the booths to if you feel it necessary.

I don't feel it necessary. I just chalk it up to movies being terrible with continuity, but I still find it disappointing they can't maintain something so basic from movie to movie.

Also, the song by Big Pig is also called "Breakaway" (it itself a cover of a song called "I Can't Break Away" by Chuck Jackson, but the album and single release outside of the soundtrack lists it as just "Breakaway"). The producers for the first film misnamed the song's title for the film and soundtrack (even for the vinyl reissue, they still kept it as "I Can't Break Away" and kept Nelson's name as Power Tool for "Two Heads Are Better Than One.")

There must be more than one release of BONK out there for titles as my back cover says, "I Can't Break Away" on it like this one. I guess the original Australian disc has "Breakaway" on it? I've seen that cover online. I didn't realize Power Tool was Nelson, though either way. I got Shark Island's Law of the Order because of how much I loved the song Father Time, but found it kind of disappointing by comparison.

Big Pig Bonk Jacket.jpg

Just finished it and it's...pretty okay. It gets a lot better in the last act, but the first half is really rough. I swear they wrote it to be released in ten minute chunks as online "minisodes" because every other scene the characters reiterate the premise and the stakes. We get it, you've failed to write this song for 25 years and reality will come apart if you don't perform it at 7:17 PM at M-46. You don't need to say it every time the movie cross cuts between subplots.

And I'm fairly inured to clumsy exposition too; I know movies and TV need to play to the people who might not be paying attention. But this was really bad. Like, Batman Begins microwave emitter exposition, but for over an hour.

OMG. I forgot it came out today when I got home from work (even after iTunes reminded me this morning it was available to watch). I'll watch it tomorrow....

It was ok,Dennis was cool,a bit of a patchy/rushed plot,i can only see john Wick when i look at Keanu.Love the original ,not so much the 2nd(Station...wtf).It work in the 3rd but could have been better

Fun movie in parts but can't beat or equal the first 2. Predictable lame ending. I just finished watching it.

The first two films clearly established it was Bill S. Preston Esq. and Ted Theodore Logan who saved the world. Not their daughters. I wouldn't care so much if they hadn't FIRMLY established it was the characters Keanu and Alex played that saved the world, but the end of this movie was a cheap cop out.

Last edited:
I finally watched it. If you're offended by an old fashioned (meaning Gen X in this case) heterosexual male POV on a movie, don't read any further.

I actually thought the first half was funnier, particularly when 2-year future Bill & Ted tried to attack themselves and it only gets worse from there). Most of it was somewhat amusing, but it was also disturbing what they did to the plot relative to the other movies. Not only was it the "music" of Wyld Stallions that would bring the planets into alignment (not just Earth, but other planets all with excellent water slides!), not just "one song" that doesn't even matter (so WTF would they need famous people from history to be in the band?) I found it a little disturbing that the one and only white male musician from history got no credit for playing Mozart in the Cast listing at the end of the movie. I can certainly see them picking Hendrix to be in a rock band; Armstrong was great, but not a rock musician, let alone Mozart, but we all know the greatest drummer of all time was Neil Peart of Rush, not some made up stone age Neanderthal playing what resembles a modern drum set with bones (utterly ridiculous, yet not meant to be funny). You can also plainly see in the first movie when they go to the future, it's young Bill & Ted in the animated holographic Wyld Stallion covers, not old Bill & Ted and certainly not with some historical helper band that is ultimately revealed to be superfluous anyway. Not a "woke" film, they said?

But the future was supposed to be, "...great, I'm tellin' ya!", but instead we now see a dour future controlled by one woman (Rufus' wife no less?) who is apparently so "enlightened" that she thought a killer robot to murder Bill & Ted (not unlike the robots [plural] of Bogus Journey in a way) was the solution. It's great to know murder is a problem solving solution in the future and Terminator robots are the norm.... :rolleyes: In a way, it makes the 2nd movie look good as it's clearly the bad guys that are sick of Bill & Ted's surfer dude attitudes. Now it's "not so clear" and "others have ideas that perhaps their death fixes things" etc. WTF!? Was that robot supposed to be autistic or something or just special? They could say retarded in the first film. It'd be the end of the Earth in this one if they did, despite it being a music term. And why is it the future people couldn't just give them the song to play? They know all of history, but they don't know that? That seems kind of odd given the prior movies interpretation of time. Hell looked different. What happened to the Devil and the chains and the nightmares? It looked a little too traditional in some respects. I did find Death's house there amusing, though.

Their wives (played yet by two still different actresses from the each of the previous two movies) searching other realities where they're happy? It's the Circuits of Time™ not the Alternate Universe Transporter! I think they just made this stuff up as they went.... And why was time coming apart in the first place? There was no CAUSE given. It just was. Brilliant. Originally, their music brought people together and made contact with aliens possible, etc., not fixing some bizarre time rift that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Missy marrying Deacon (also different actor)? That was a bit much and given how poorly she's aged compared to Kenau and Alex, I guess it's supposed to be a reverse joke from the first two movies (hot young chick marrying older dudes is now older woman who let herself go marries younger dude). I had to check the cast list to make sure that was her as she was barely recognizable.

I didn't know who Brigette Lundy-Paine was, but thought she at least looked kind of cute and just now when I looked Brigette up, she's not a "her" at all, but a "they" apparently as one of these "non-binary" types with photos galore ranging from male to female looks all over the place while claiming to be neither. Brilliant. I sense a California upbringing for some reason (checking Wikipedia; yup; moved there at age 2 with actors for parents. Nature or nurture? I'd say the latter has a huge effect on the psyche....) Hugo Weaving's niece looked good in some other things, but didn't seem attractive at all here to me. The days of having movie eye candy to interest heterosexual males are sadly over. No Porky's movies for Generation Z! Those were EVIL I say! Ultra violence in movies like the comic book ones is much preferable!

By far the worst thing of all, though was that Bill & Ted were absolutely made pointless and unnecessary beyond having two kids that figure out that having everyone play along to a terrible song is what fixes the Universe, not the music of Wyld Stallions, which was the entire point of the first two movies! The movie makes no sense at all in that regard and destroys the reason for the first two movies to exist. If De Nomolos had succeeded, it wouldn't have mattered one iota. Wyld Stallions only had one hit song! So much for the future loving Bill & Ted's music. I guess the music didn't matter at all (It's funny because I remember seeing a list of songs in the credits, but I don't recall hearing very many, unlike the excellent soundtrack to the first movie). Ridiculous. I think I want my $25 back....

I finally watched it. If you're offended by an old fashioned (meaning Gen X in this case) heterosexual male POV on a movie, don't read any further.

I actually thought the first half was funnier, particularly when 2-year future Bill & Ted tried to attack themselves and it only gets worse from there). Most of it was somewhat amusing, but it was also disturbing what they did to the plot relative to the other movies. Not only was it the "music" of Wyld Stallions that would bring the planets into alignment (not just Earth, but other planets all with excellent water slides!), not just "one song" that doesn't even matter (so WTF would they need famous people from history to be in the band?) I found it a little disturbing that the one and only white male musician from history got no credit for playing Mozart in the Cast listing at the end of the movie. I can certainly see them picking Hendrix to be in a rock band; Armstrong was great, but not a rock musician, let alone Mozart, but we all know the greatest drummer of all time was Neil Peart of Rush, not some made up stone age Neanderthal playing what resembles a modern drum set with bones (utterly ridiculous, yet not meant to be funny). You can also plainly see in the first movie when they go to the future, it's young Bill & Ted in the animated holographic Wyld Stallion covers, not old Bill & Ted and certainly not with some historical helper band that is ultimately revealed to be superfluous anyway. Not a "woke" film, they said?

But the future was supposed to be, "...great, I'm tellin' ya!", but instead we now see a dour future controlled by one woman (Rufus' wife no less?) who is apparently so "enlightened" that she thought a killer robot to murder Bill & Ted (not unlike the robots [plural] of Bogus Journey in a way) was the solution. It's great to know murder is a problem solving solution in the future and Terminator robots are the norm.... :rolleyes: In a way, it makes the 2nd movie look good as it's clearly the bad guys that are sick of Bill & Ted's surfer dude attitudes. Now it's "not so clear" and "others have ideas that perhaps their death fixes things" etc. WTF!? Was that robot supposed to be autistic or something or just special? They could say retarded in the first film. It'd be the end of the Earth in this one if they did, despite it being a music term. And why is it the future people couldn't just give them the song to play? They know all of history, but they don't know that? That seems kind of odd given the prior movies interpretation of time. Hell looked different. What happened to the Devil and the chains and the nightmares? It looked a little too traditional in some respects. I did find Death's house there amusing, though.

Their wives (played yet by two still different actresses from the each of the previous two movies) searching other realities where they're happy? It's the Circuits of Time™ not the Alternate Universe Transporter! I think they just made this stuff up as they went.... And why was time coming apart in the first place? There was no CAUSE given. It just was. Brilliant. Originally, their music brought people together and made contact with aliens possible, etc., not fixing some bizarre time rift that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Missy marrying Deacon (also different actor)? That was a bit much and given how poorly she's aged compared to Kenau and Alex, I guess it's supposed to be a reverse joke from the first two movies (hot young chick marrying older dudes is now older woman who let herself go marries younger dude). I had to check the cast list to make sure that was her as she was barely recognizable.

I didn't know who Brigette Lundy-Paine was, but thought she at least looked kind of cute and just now when I looked Brigette up, she's not a "her" at all, but a "they" apparently as one of these "non-binary" types with photos galore ranging from male to female looks all over the place while claiming to be neither. Brilliant. I sense a California upbringing for some reason (checking Wikipedia; yup; moved there at age 2 with actors for parents. Nature or nurture? I'd say the latter has a huge effect on the psyche....) Hugo Weaving's niece looked good in some other things, but didn't seem attractive at all here to me. The days of having movie eye candy to interest heterosexual males are sadly over. No Porky's movies for Generation Z! Those were EVIL I say! Ultra violence in movies like the comic book ones is much preferable!

By far the worst thing of all, though was that Bill & Ted were absolutely made pointless and unnecessary beyond having two kids that figure out that having everyone play along to a terrible song is what fixes the Universe, not the music of Wyld Stallions, which was the entire point of the first two movies! The movie makes no sense at all in that regard and destroys the reason for the first two movies to exist. If De Nomolos had succeeded, it wouldn't have mattered one iota. Wyld Stallions only had one hit song! So much for the future loving Bill & Ted's music. I guess the music didn't matter at all (It's funny because I remember seeing a list of songs in the credits, but I don't recall hearing very many, unlike the excellent soundtrack to the first movie). Ridiculous. I think I want my $25 back....

I don't have a problem with who the actors are. I just don't like how they ignored completely the history of two films with a stupid made up quote in that watch. It disrespected the original films by
reducing Bill and Ted to a supporting role when it came to making the song to save the world.
I COMPLETELY agree with you on that being the worst thing about the film.
I KNEW it was going to happen like that when in the trailer they mentioned "Preston and Logan" not "Wyld Stallyns". I was hoping I'd be wrong.
When it was revealed I was right I wanted to turn the movie off. My wife said we might as well watch it to the end so I did.

VonMagnum, did you really just say, “...but we all know the greatest drummer of all time was Neil Peary of Rush”?
Not only is that a ridiculous remark but it’s laughable! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wanted to love this movie. My mistake was watching the first two back to back before seeing this, and well, it's just different.

In summary, this was a very nice, harmless and sweet movie that hits different if you're married and have kids. I wanted this to have the energy of the first two, but in the end, this was just watching a couple of dad's running around re-living the hits while introducing two younger versions that just didn't have that same spark.

VonMagnum, did you really just say, “...but we all know the greatest drummer of all time was Neil Peary of Rush”?
Not only is that a ridiculous remark but it’s laughable! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I said Neil Peart, not "Peary". Modern Drummer put Neil Peart at #3 of all time (Rush Drummer Neil Peart Dies at 67) and Rolling Stone put him at #4 (100 Greatest Drummers of All Time), but yes it's so "laughable" . :rolleyes:

Rush isn't my favorite rock band by any means, but they were quite proficient and I knew a lot of drummers that idolized Peart in the '90s. Most lists put Buddy Rich or Neil Bonham at the top, but then Rich and Bonham were dead by then and none of them were in Bill & Ted Face The Music.

I'd rate Clapton as more proficient than Gilmour, but I'd probably rather listen to Gilmour play guitar than Clapton. Proficiency isn't the same as style. Eddie would be more impressive to watch than either (his solo for Michael Jacksons' Beat It is one I've always enjoyed), I'd think, but I wouldn't compare anything Van Halen did with Comfortably Numb for sheer listenability. Hendrix would have wiped the floor with either one of them had they all been around at their heydays at the same time, but I'd still rather listen to Pink Floyd's music most days, but to each their own.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back