Beskar Ingot Project

Shonuff

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all, I'm starting work on a full on damascus billet for a beskar steel ingot prop. I want to get the measurements for the ingot as close as possible to help inform the metal work stage. Was curious as to what others have come up with. Did a couple test pieces but currently they are feeling a bit too wide. Currently working with 5.5" X 3" X .5"

Attachments

• Template1.jpg
    Template1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,587
  • Template2.jpg
    Template2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 826
  • Template3.jpg
    Template3.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 855
I’ve seen a few on Etsy that are 4 by 2.5 by .25, but that seems too small. On the show they looked to be at least 5 inches long.

Yeah, the exact lenghts are tough to judge. Been working mostly off of proportion ratios. Proportion wise it doesn't look like its an exact 1X2, just short. The width also looks to be about 2.5 X the diameter of the empire insignia as well which has gotten me this far, but think I need to trim off the width a tad and go maybe 1/4 " taller

On your third picture, I would go with the one on the left, the slightly larger one looks to be more in line with what I saw on the screen.

on further viewings looks like it is closer to a 1X2. judging by the finger placement, gonna trim the overall length down as well.

Attachments

• Size_Ref.jpg
    Size_Ref.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 683
When you say 1x2, do you mean 1 inch by 2 inches? If so, that would be way too small.
No. Speaking in proportions and ratios. 1X2 just refers to its length being 2 times as long as its width, though technically its more normal to call that a 2X1

I've dialed it in pretty close I think, settling on 5" X 2.5" X .5" with a emblem diameter of 1". The empire insignia gave me the best spatial ref for the overall ratios and having a shot of it in hand helped settle the overall scale of the piece. Now on to putting together the steel layer stacks and planning out how to best get the damascus pattern to mimic the waves we see in the Beskar Ingot prop.

Attachments

• Ratios.jpg
    Ratios.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 562
  • Template4.jpg
    Template4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 398
  • Template5.jpg
    Template5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 364
  • Template6.jpg
    Template6.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 683
What are the chances they just used a phone case as a jumping off point? Looking at my iPhone... it's 5.65" x 2.79"
Would make sense from a marketing standpoint if we start seeing a lot of officially licensed beskar iphone cases show up in stores

My steel arrived to begin the metal stage. got everything cut to 6 inch segments and will move on to cleaning, pattern stacking and welding. Won't be until January that I can get access to a power hammer so gonna be a bit unfortunately :\

Also decided to slap together a quick jig to get the rear details in the wooden templates. The damascus billet will have this step done on a milling machine, but for the wood versions this made quick clean work of it.

Attachments

• Steel_1.jpg
    Steel_1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 410
  • Jig_1.jpg
    Jig_1.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 410
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to start a proper pattern welded one of these. What's your setup like? Do you have a lot of experience forge welding already?

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to start a proper pattern welded one of these. What's your setup like? Do you have a lot of experience forge welding already?
I have a small bit of experience forging, mostly in bladesmithing. I wanted to use this project as a good reason to start learning to make damascus. I have all my steel cleaned, stacked and welded, now just waiting to get access to a power hammer and press to forge it properly as I don't quite have the confidence to get a solid forge weld through straight hammer forging alone. The thing I'm trying to figure out in the meantime is proper manipulation of the stack in the heating/bending stages to get a good wave pattern like we see in the resin version of the show

Try making a stack in plasticine and 'forging' the clay on a hard surface to simulate the anvil. It's a good way to figure out patterns. That way when the steel is hot and you're forging it you don't need to worry about what to do, you'll already know. My guess is you'll have to forge weld and re stack without doing much drawing out to get the necessary height and then forge slightly on the bias to make the gentle flow happen like in the prop.

Anyway, good luck!

I bought a graphite mold that produces ingots right at 2.5"X5". Casting in pewter. Steel need to do the swirly toned pattern and I am awaiting my custom-made imperial stamp. I think they will look o.k................

Attachments

• 20200129_200034.jpg
    20200129_200034.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 623
  • 20200129_204148.jpg
    20200129_204148.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 606
My first thought on seeing it was that it might be a low-ish layer twist pattern damascus. I haven't really worked out how to get the same pattern without losing a ton of steel though.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back