Behemoth Head sculpt from start to finish (tons of progress pictures!)

XD I see how it is Jmen ... well BEHOLD ... what it looks like so far ...

20160613_145652.jpg

20160613_145717.jpg

20160613_145743.jpg

20160613_145812.jpg

20160613_150807.jpg

20160613_151119.jpg

Cast it already!!!! I'm dying here Nic!!! want this bad boy on your head!!!! ;P

(y)(y)(y)
Well to cast it I first need to mold it ... and I'm still avoiding molding it like the plague, as I not only am waiting for the funds to get some more molding materials ... I'm also still trying to decide if I'll make an Ultracal30 or resin mold ... even though I've never done the later. With the amount of time I've put into this, I don't want the details being ripped out after every single additional pull.

I finally remembered the red stuff that Jeff (alphatech) used for his mould..Smooth on Epoxa coat(red)..A kind of Resin I assume..He swears by it, and from the looks of it, awesome and easy enough to use..

To each his own, Ultracal is awesome, but, seriously, after using Ultracal, I really wished I could have gone the resin route..

Ultracal is Heavy as bro. I swear my one, just for the head alone, probably weighs atleast 40kgs..and I've only pulled 2 latex masks so far, but I've been patching/repairing heaps already. It continues to chip, especially in parts that are very detailed.. Cheaper than resin sure, but not much..I'll definitely go down that route when I do the torso and the legs..

If you can, go Fibreglass, maybe some of that Epoxa coat. :)

Got most of the scales on the right side in place.Made the rough modifications to the spikes protruding from the jaw section. Then hit the scales with a blow drier, in order to get some of them to melt together a bit, before I go back with a tool to define them a bit more. The reason I'm doing this is to make sure that there aren't any large gaps in between the scales.

20160620_133916.jpg

20160620_170020.jpg

20160620_170848.jpg

Way to go Nic! It’s absolutely amazing the power of the human imagination to impress upon a raw material its mirror image. When I saw the first photo in the sequence I was like, WTF?!?!, what is trapped inside this poor kid’s head!…lol As I continued down through the progression of images your genius became more and more evident.

It’s one thing for an artist to dream. It’s another thing all together for an artist to shape the material world in such a way that enables others to share that dream with him.

The suggestion made by Unforgiven Hunter is a wise one. Whatever mold material you use will make its way into every crack and crevice and behind every ball to the point that whatever casting resin you chose to pour into your mold will rip most of that beautiful detail out along with it as you remove or “pull” the cast from the mold.

As Chris also suggested, thin out some clay to a paste-like consistency and brush it on over the entire sculpt. The idea is to fill in and smooth out the deep cracks and crevices while controlling loss of detail before applying your latex or silicon mold. But you're already aware of this so why am I repeating yourself???...lol

Another suggestion is to carefully remove all the teeth from the sculpt when you’re ready to pour the primary mold and make separate molds for each of the teeth. The angles at which the teeth and mandibles are pointed will no doubt cause difficulty when pulling your cast without breaking anything off in the process.

Oh, and by the way…the CVS prescription on the table there beside your obsession…classic prop maker all the way!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, tips, and kind words :D I've been working on this thing for a while now as you can see, and the encouragement I've been getting here is what has been helping me move foward despite my mental problems, and the issues I had with the sculpt thus far XD

I'm also planning on molding and casting without the teeth, or lower mandibles present, I just took to making some new teeth, as I had made a (sloppy) two piece silicone mold for the previous teeth, and they have just to many issues when cast, as it was my first time ever molding in silicone.

Nic, I have Aspergers which I seemed to have passed on in some degree to my three sons. Whatever "metal problems" you suffer, be it ADD, ADHD, OCD, depression, etc., have apparently contributed is some way, shape, or form, to your genius! When it comes to channeling creative energy there is no such thing as dis-ability. The only obstacle any artist need overcome is his or her belief in what is and is not possible. That's one bad ass sculpt!

Thanks for all the info, tips, and kind words :D I've been working on this thing for a while now as you can see, and the encouragement I've been getting here is what has been helping me move foward despite my mental problems, and the issues I had with the sculpt thus far XD

I'm also planning on molding and casting without the teeth, or lower mandibles present, I just took to making some new teeth, as I had made a (sloppy) two piece silicone mold for the previous teeth, and they have just to many issues when cast, as it was my first time ever molding in silicone.
well keep sculpting!!!!! Lordy knows if I could do this I would have my house full of city hunters!!!!!!!!!! I have to give it to you, I once tried to make something with clay, and it didn't work at all. So I am fascinated by these sculptures!!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back