Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Perfect Grade kits are usually super detailed and can take LEDS and have gimmicks involved.

The Gundam ones however don’t come with water slides for some ridiculous reason. So I guess the Falcon has a leg up there.

Only as of the last few years have Bandai started to offer PG kits in two varieties. One with a Lighting kit and one without.

The ones without then are the cheaper option for builders that might want to install their own better LED strips or what not.

How that translates to their Star Wars line I’m not completely sure. It depends on the model I suppose.

It's easy to see it like this:

1/72 (aside from the B-Wing and MF), 1/48, and the 1/12 figure kits = HG
1/72 B-Wing, 1/144, the 1/6 Stormtrooper, 1/48 X-Wing, and the 1/5000 SD = MG
1/2 BB-8 = Mega-Size

So what is it about the MF that makes it PG?

Size, detail, and parts count: it had a lot of engineering and research behind it. It's a really good kit, and the surface detail rivals even Gundam PGs. I think we can all agree that if you're gonna spend at least 300 on a MF, it might as well be this one.

Last edited:
IF...you're a fan of the Falcon, as most of us are, this IS this kit to have. Its FANTASTIC! Although, if like myself, you prefer the 5 gear ESB version, spend the money on Shapeways for toe pieces...and the hallway piece if you're doing a "landed" build...and the complete cockpit set and corridor. I think I've sunk 600 plus in mine and I be lovin' it! Oh, and if you have the where with all, do your own lighting, the supplied stuff is a tad insufficient in my estimation. I'll post some pics when my POS laptop is in the mood to cooperate:confused:

I'll second what gt350pony66 said, the level of detail and accuracy is exceptional and the precision with which the parts fit together with little cleanup is superb.
If you're a real details person you may find a few minor inaccuracies but you've really got to go hunting for them (I think its been said the cockpit interior is actually more ESB rather than ANH).
Regardless, though, its a true delight to build with a level of detail and engineering to marvel over for any hard core fan of the 5' Falcon, totally justifying the price tag.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't see the PG kit (with lighting, etc.) as "too" special. And I see the non-lighting version as even less so. Let me explain before you get the pitchforks. (Full disclosure: I have two of the original PG kits.) With the lights and PE, I thought that was the point. Or more to the point, "this is a really nice kit, excellent details, very accurate, and we are going to make it extra special by offering a lighting systems and even photo etch and call it "Perfect Grade", like that is the grade it gets by the modeling community." When the non lighting version came out (which I, all along, thought was not even labeled as "Perfect Grade"), I just thought it was the standard kit. So, what's left. The plastic, pretty much. It's very good. It's a work of art. It's very accurate. It's very detailed. At Hyperscale, (to mostly non-sci-fi people, mind you) I suggested it should be considered for kit of the year. But this is more of where models have gotten to. As extra special as people might say the PG MF is, it's basically what I might expect from Bandai--and from many other companies in the industry. It's bigger because the "real" ship is bigger and they decided to do it in 72nd scale. And this results in more parts. The parts count is, likewise, not too far off from the FM kit. When the FM kit came out, it blew a lot of people away with it's level of detail, like people figured out, why all along, FM mostly stuck with that "gentleman's scale." If only for the accuracy--grrr. If the FM MF didn't suffer from the shape issues, it would probably be the only one I'd own as I prefer the ESB ship and the 32" model. Now, Bandai pushes the limits with design, but they do that with lots (all?) of their SW stuff. Quite simply (mostly just looking at the plastic) this is the 72nd scale MF I would expect from Bandai--and in this day and age--nothing more, nothing less. Don't take this as an attack on the kit, but more of a praise of Bandai and the level of the modeling industry.
Now, what's an emoji for a pitchfork look like?
Mike Todd

PS: I have a post at the Hyperscale Jets forum that basically says the same thing about "Kinetic Gold." The only response was that someone said it's just marketing.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't see the PG kit (with lighting, etc.) as "too" special. And I see the non-lighting version as even less so. Let me explain before you get the pitchforks. (Full disclosure: I have two of the original PG kits.) With the lights and PE, I thought that was the point. Or more to the point, "this is a really nice kit, excellent details, very accurate, and we are going to make it extra special by offering a lighting systems and even photo etch and call it "Perfect Grade", like that is the grade it gets by the modeling community." When the non lighting version came out (which I, all along, thought was not even labeled as "Perfect Grade"), I just thought it was the standard kit. So, what's left. The plastic, pretty much. It's very good. It's a work of art. It's very accurate. It's very detailed. At Hyperscale, (to mostly non-sci-fi people, mind you) I suggested it should be considered for kit of the year. But this is more of where models have gotten to. As extra special as people might say the PG MF is, it's basically what I might expect from Bandai--and from many other companies in the industry. It's bigger because the "real" ship is bigger and they decided to do it in 72nd scale. And this results in more parts. The parts count is, likewise, not too far off from the FM kit. When the FM kit came out, it blew a lot of people away with it's level of detail, like people figured out, why all along, FM mostly stuck with that "gentleman's scale." If only for the accuracy--grrr. If the FM MF didn't suffer from the shape issues, it would probably be the only one I'd own as I prefer the ESB ship and the 32" model. Now, Bandai pushes the limits with design, but they do that with lots (all?) of their SW stuff. Quite simply (mostly just looking at the plastic) this is the 72nd scale MF I would expect from Bandai--and in this day and age--nothing more, nothing less. Don't take this as an attack on the kit, but more of a praise of Bandai and the level of the modeling industry.
Now, what's an emoji for a pitchfork look like?
Mike Todd

PS: I have a post at the Hyperscale Jets forum that basically says the same thing about "Kinetic Gold." The only response was that someone said it's just marketing.

I don't think the "PG or Perfect Grade" branding is anything more than it being a special release due to size\cost. I believe the PG branding started with the Gundam line and was used for the larger Gundam kits.

IIRC Most were 1/144, but then Bandai introduced the MG (Master Grade line) that went to 1/100 scale which included more parts and details and articulation over the 1/144. Then the Perfect Grade line came out with 1/60 scale which included more articulation details and even skeletal features over the 1/144 and 1/100 lines

So I believe the "Perfect Grade" label for the 1/72 Falcon represents a much larger part count and more fiddly detailed kit then they would normally release using the 1/144 Falcon being the candlestick for a ship that size. Bandai clearly has a target "optimal shelf space" size of 1/72 for Star Wars models. Anything too large (U-wing, Falcon) gets bumped to 1/144 (or smaller in cases of capital ships), anything to small (Snowspeeder) gets bumped to 1/48.

I believe the PG kits also tend to be more limited in release runs as far as the number of kits they produce in each given run compared to the "normal" stuff

TL;DR

It’s simply a branding label carried over from the Gundam line for the highest grade kit of the subject in terms of complexity, gimmicks, detailing, scale and price.

Last edited:
My take on the PG Falcon kit is that it is a near identical match to the studio model. The 1/144 kit has many flaws and could not be considered PG in any aspect. And from what I've read, PG kits from Bandai are larger scale kits.

I don't think the "PG or Perfect Grade" branding is anything more than it being a special release due to size\cost. I believe the PG branding started with the Gundam line and was used for the larger Gundam kits.

IIRC Most were 1/144, but then Bandai introduced the MG (Master Grade line) that went to 1/100 scale which included more parts and details and articulation over the 1/144. Then the Perfect Grade line came out with 1/60 scale which included more articulation details and even skeletal features over the 1/144 and 1/100 lines

So I believe the "Perfect Grade" label for the 1/72 Falcon represents a much larger part count and more fiddly detailed kit then they would normally release using the 1/144 Falcon being the candlestick for a ship that size. Bandai clearly has a target "optimal shelf space" size of 1/72 for Star Wars models. Anything too large (U-wing, Falcon) gets bumped to 1/144 (or smaller in cases of capital ships), anything to small (Snowspeeder) gets bumped to 1/48.

I believe the PG kits also tend to be more limited in release runs as far as the number of kits they produce in each given run compared to the "normal" stuff

TL;DR

It’s simply a branding label carried over from the Gundam line for the highest grade kit of the subject in terms of complexity, gimmicks, detailing, scale and price.
Now this makes perfect sense. Thank you, sir. Kind of legitimizes what I said but puts a solid perspective.

I believe the PG branding started with the Gundam line and was used for the larger Gundam kits.

Not quite; the PG line actually started with the PG Eva-01 from Neon Genesis Evangelion; the next one was the PG RX-78-2 and was exclusively Gundam since until the Millennium Falcon. The PG line also doesn't mean large kits; 1/60 Gundam kits were already being sold since the 80s, and 1/48 Gundams are already being sold under the Mega-Size line.

The PG line isn't just size, it's also characterized by detail and complexity, and you've pretty much nailed it when you said "much larger part count and more fiddly detailed kit"

Ok guys, like it or hate it...my PG build is finished. I hope it meets with your approval :whistle:
64 LED's, 30 odd feet of various sizes of FO and all the Shapeways goodies for the PG

Attachments

• pgfinish1.jpeg
    pgfinish1.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 512
  • pgfinish2.jpeg
    pgfinish2.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 553
  • pgfinish3.jpeg
    pgfinish3.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 469
  • pgfinish4.jpeg
    pgfinish4.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 479
  • pgfinish5.jpeg
    pgfinish5.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 455
  • pgfinish6.jpeg
    pgfinish6.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 457
  • pgfinish7.jpeg
    pgfinish7.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 465
  • pgfinish7.jpeg
    pgfinish7.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 516
  • pgfinish8.jpeg
    pgfinish8.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 485
  • pgfinish9.jpeg
    pgfinish9.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 444
  • pgfinish10.jpeg
    pgfinish10.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 499
So quick question on decals here. I bought the standard version as I plan to paint the coloured panels etc.

However are most people applying the very small logo decals ?

Wondering if it's worth the hassle.

One other question. Does anyone know if there are Fotoetch kits for Standard version ? Paragrafix has one for the Revell kit. However don't seem to be able to find anything for the Bandai. Am sure there are plenty of people with the standard that would be up for a secondary market etch and decal kit.

Great job gt

Whats next then?

J
Well, I decided to dive into the FM Falcon. I wasn't going to get any Shapeways stuff because I'm on such a budget now, but this thing is pretty pathetic compared to the Bandai. I've started on the cockpit this afternoon...man is this thing lame. And I've been doing Bandai stuff so long it's strange to have the glue out on the table:lol: but, I'll do the best I can with it. It will be stuffed into the diorama so I guess I won't really need to go ALL OUT on this one. We'll see(y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back