Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

I've used it on my B-Wing, but haven't made a comparison with decanted AS-20, yet.
But i wouldn't use it on the PG Falcon, anyway. AS20 would be cheaper here, i think.

I tried a thing.

So a buddy has me working on his Polar Lights TMP Enterprise. One of the resources he has is a set of pre-cut vinyl "aztec" panels for airbrushing.

And I wondered how well such an idea would work in place of Bandai's decals. My focus was specifically the battle damage and areas where the paint was chipped or weathering applied to the colored panels.

I scanned the decal sheet and manually re-created all of the features for the panels.
p6tUJCeh.jpg

sZbmu1jh.jpg

Then I went to my local maker space shop and tried their vinyl cutter. My results were less than... well...

I tried a few things and chewed up most of a roll of vinyl.
sAOLaynh.jpg

So anyway. Live and learn. Maybe I'll try just the damage parts and laser cut an airbrushing stencil.

In the meantime I'll give the SVG to anyone who PMs me.

I was impressed.
4sQ50i4m.jpg

Fortunately it's not my cutter. We have a local maker space with some decent fabricating equipment.

In fairness I was trying to cut some ridiculously small stickers. You never know if you don't try.

What's going on with the availability of this kit, specifically the Bandai-branded PG kit? Amazon has it for what amounts to $400 plus additional shipping. One seller on ebay has it for $310 plus $75 for shipping from the midwest to California. (So I guess he/she personally rents a car and drives it to my front door? I'm being facetious, but sellers from far further away charge much less for shipping.) What I'm getting at is this: has it gone out of production for a while the way FM did with its MF? And once people realize it, the ebay prices will jump to $700? Although the Revell kit might keep the scalper prices down. (One store that's only a half hour drive away has it for $315, so that's not bad. But then I just looked and it is labeled as the PG kit but the description says "non-lighted" so what's in the box? Wait, is the basic version without lights and decals also labeled as "Perfect Grade"? That would be news to me.)
Mike Todd

Last edited:
Yes that’s exactly the case. The PG Lighted version with decals and photo etched parts released first then after awhile they released the PG “Standard edition” with no LED kit or photo etched parts. I believe it still comes with water slides but am not certain.

Okay, wow. I totally missed that they still called it a PG kit. And just to be clear, are there just two kits? I am aware of the first PG kit with decals and lighting; and I'm aware of the release without lighting and decals (stickers only) kit. Is there a third kit that actually includes decals and is called the PG non lighting kit? (And I have read a lot of the discussion about not including decals in a kit like this, so we don't need to re-hash that.)

Yes two separate kits from Bandai. I don’t know of a third type released. Sorry about that. Someone else here knows more than me most likely.

Yes that’s exactly the case. The PG Lighted version with decals and photo etched parts released first then after awhile they released the PG “Standard edition” with no LED kit or photo etched parts. I believe it still comes with water slides but am not certain.
Be warned...NO WATER SLIDES in the standard kit and you can't get them separately

Well there it is then. No water slides in the standard release.

I was just looking earlier today at the Falcon 3D Parts LED see. Looks amazing and blows the Bandai lighting kit out of the water.

I just wired mine the way I wanted it. I added more gear well lights, 3 for each rear and two for each front. Then of course the landing lights, did my own engine lighting. I wanted a dull blue glow to simulate a just landed or preparing for take off. I put 11 LED's in the ramp ceiling so it would really pop. I built mine ESB with Shapeways parts, etc. Last count I have 64 LED's in this thing and bundles of .25mm fiber optic, as well as some .50 and .75. I'm getting close to being done. It's been challenging but a super fun kit to build(y) I'll probably use the lighting portion for something else...an MPC build or something. I hardly ever toss anything out:lol:
Rather than post a bunch of stuff here, my Echo Base Diorama thread, like the last 5 pages is where mine is if you wanna have a look

What's going on with the availability of this kit, specifically the Bandai-branded PG kit? Amazon has it for what amounts to $400 plus additional shipping. One seller on ebay has it for $310 plus $75 for shipping from the midwest to California. (So I guess he/she personally rents a car and drives it to my front door? I'm being facetious, but sellers from far further away charge much less for shipping.) What I'm getting at is this: has it gone out of production for a while the way FM did with its MF? And once people realize it, the ebay prices will jump to $700? Although the Revell kit might keep the scalper prices down. (One store that's only a half hour drive away has it for $315, so that's not bad. But then I just looked and it is labeled as the PG kit but the description says "non-lighted" so what's in the box? Wait, is the basic version without lights and decals also labeled as "Perfect Grade"? That would be news to me.)
Mike Todd

I don't understand the pricing algorithms on Amazon. It seems they go into runaway mode once it hits private sellers and an item is seen as "out of production",

You see it with a lot of the Revell stuff. Once it is no longer offered as part of prime or fulfilled by Amazon, prices quickly double, triple, even quadruple. You start seeing a $30 model that seemed to take years to sell out skyrocket to $300 in a few weeks

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back