Arkham Knight Utility Belt _ FINISHED!!

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been asked to build a replica of the Batman utility belt from the upcoming Arkham Knight. He's looking for something a bit higher-fidelity than the leather version that is for sale. I've done as much research as I can with screen grabs, etc. This is also technically my first video game inspired build

Beginning this build. Should be able to build everything up with layers of Sintra and styrene. Started with the little winged clips around the buckle.

Attachments

• IMG_3455.JPG
    IMG_3455.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3456.JPG
    IMG_3456.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_3460.JPG
    IMG_3460.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 226
  • batman_ark_knight_gamescom-3.jpg
    batman_ark_knight_gamescom-3.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 279
  • batman-arkham-knight-screenshots.jpg
    batman-arkham-knight-screenshots.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 290
  • arkhambelt-2.jpg
    arkhambelt-2.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 1,024
Last edited:
Re: Arkham Knight Utility Belt

Okay, that's it for tonight. Good progress on the buckle.

Attachments

• IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3469.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3468.JPG
    IMG_3468.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Thanks! Yeah, there will be casts sold eventually. Keep and eye on this build :)

Arkham Knight Utility Belt

I built out the components of the main pouches. I am bit bit torn. My plan was to build this as a hero prop and cast all the pieces you see here and assemble them with a real leather flap. My only concern is how sturdy some of the small pieces will be for folks who (unlike me) actually wear the belt.

One thought is to assemble the whole pouch and mold the entire thing assembled ... then cast it in Smooth-on's FlexiFoam ... which I have zero experience with.

Any experiences with FlexiFoam anyone could share?

Attachments

• IMG_3470.JPG
    IMG_3470.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3476.JPG
    IMG_3476.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

I built out the components of the main pouches. I am bit bit torn. My plan was to build this as a hero prop and cast all the pieces you see here and assemble them with a real leather flap. My only concern is how sturdy some of the small pieces will be for folks who (unlike me) actually wear the belt.

One thought is to assemble the whole pouch and mold the entire thing assembled ... then cast it in Smooth-on's FlexiFoam ... which I have zero experience with.

Any experiences with FlexiFoam anyone could share?

This looks fantastic!

I do have experience with Flex-Foam IT. I cast my Origins belt in their 17. 17 and 25 are very dense and self skinning.
You'll need a mold with a fibreglass jacket. A full silicone mold won't hold the pressure of the foam expanding. And you need a backer board for your mold. Like mdf with a smooth side. Put a few holes in the backer board so the foam has somewhere to go and relieve pressure. Mold and backer will need release. The stuff sticks to everything. Basically pour in the foam, slap on the backer, and clamp the heck out of it.

Foam will end up with bubbles here and there on a piece this detailed. So I'd recommend skinning the mold with urethane rubber to catch all that detail before doing the foam. That's how I'd do it at least based on my experiences.

Good luck!

Moving on to the twin capsules on each side of the buckle. I want to cast these as a single piece so I needed a way to build the assembly that would take to casting. It looks like the two capsules are meant to be bound by four thin metal bands. This would create a challenging cast. So I decided to build the whole thing another way. I'll be layering a number of nylon spacers I found at Ace. Instead of thin bands, I made an oblong spacer with two holes that, then everything is stacked together, will look like the capsule system on the belt, but made an strong, simple cast for the belt. I need to tweak the length of some of the spacers to get closer to the look from the game. But I'm pleased with this solution.

Crappy pictures. Sorry. I'll post better ones once this is all glued up.

Attachments

• IMG_3477.JPG
    IMG_3477.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3478.JPG
    IMG_3478.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 149

Finished the twin capsule assembly. Again, I'm thinking ahead about making mold making a simple process so I'm trying to eliminate cracks and voids that won't mold well.

With that I have all the masters done for the various components to make a full belt. I do still need to source some black leather for the flaps. Or maybe pleather. The web belt material and functional buckle is on its way. As is more Oomoo silicon. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_3482.JPG
    IMG_3482.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3481.JPG
    IMG_3481.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 184

Poured the molds today. This is actually my first two-part mold, so that was cool to get some experience with. I love the sight of happy little molds drying.

Attachments

• IMG_3497.JPG
    IMG_3497.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3493.JPG
    IMG_3493.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3494.JPG
    IMG_3494.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3495.JPG
    IMG_3495.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 179

Casting multiples today. Plus I'm running some paint tests. Two options here. One is my favorite Rustoleum Classic Bronze. The other is Antique Gold Run N' Buff over black primer. The rub and buff is probably closer to the weathered look of the game design.

Onward.

Attachments

• IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3503.JPG
    IMG_3503.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3505.JPG
    IMG_3505.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

LOVING this build, can't wait to see more! Keep it up Valor, you're knocking it out of the park!

When you start selling, I'll be buying!

Alright, finished with my replica of the Arkham Knight Belt. The pieces are glued and screwed to a black web belt. The paint was actually a combination of the Rustoleum and a base with a gold Rub N' Buff layer on top. Looks like beat up brass. Considering the size of the pouches, it's actually lighter than my previous Utility belt.

I plan on a small run of these kits. Check the junkyard if you're interested.

Attachments

• belts.jpg
    belts.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 268
  • arkhambelt2.jpg
    arkhambelt2.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 307
  • arkhambelt3.jpg
    arkhambelt3.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 789
  • arkhambelt4.jpg
    arkhambelt4.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 192
  • arkhambelt5.jpg
    arkhambelt5.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 182
  • arkhambelt1.jpg
    arkhambelt1.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 201
  • arkhamkit3.jpg
    arkhamkit3.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 183
  • arkhamkit2.jpg
    arkhamkit2.jpg
    811.3 KB · Views: 178
  • arkhamkit1.jpg
    arkhamkit1.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 181
Holy balls, Valor!

I didn't think you'd actually be finished so quickly, I am not at all prepared for this!

My wallet may hate me forever, but I kinda just need to own this belt man, it's beautiful!

I'll send you a pm very soon!

Couple of new pic of the base belt. I splurged and bought a police tactical belt base for this one. It gives the whole thing some needed structure and weight. It's intoxicating to wear :)

Attachments

• A_IMG_3558.jpg
    A_IMG_3558.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 223
  • A_IMG_3564.jpg
    A_IMG_3564.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back