NECA 1989 Batman Utility Belt

There are slight sink marks in the surface where the magnets are mounted inside, and the raised edges around them seem really prone to scratching and uneven wear. Thankfully, it looks like the "metallic" sheen isn't paint at all but a pearlescent powder mixed in with the yellow, and if so you should be able to sand those injection artifacts away and then buff the plastic back to its original appearance. Those sink marks are really obvious on the speargun's handle, but also on the outside face of it where... there's no magnet. Looks like they planned an extra magnet there right up through tooling?

On the subject of scale: I want it 1:1 on principle, but ultimately I'm okay with the smaller size. It's totally selfish, but I'm an extra small person in extra small gloves (and youth size Air Trainers!) so it's nice to have a smaller belt to go with NECA's smaller speargun and smaller batarang. It's not often that things fit me the way they're supposed to, especially superhero stuff.

The general curve of the piece fits me well, so the side panels are secure and the buckle is solid, but the belt is so tall that any kind of movement shifts it around enough to get the back opening up. I plan on replacing that piece with a strip of elastic anyway so it can stretch open on the back when I sit or crouch but keep nice and snug when standing. I also want to rip the molded inserts out of the side panels to open up the space (the insides don't match the style of the movie's gadgets at all) and add in some bottom hinges so I can use them for holding ID and credit cards/cash, that sort of thing.

And the extra capsule accessories mean I can take off the gadget part and mount something actually useful to the top cap... keys, lighters, etc.. I think that once people get used to the belt (and make a screen-accurate replacement latch) that we'll see some cool functional mods for it!

There are slight sink marks in the surface where the magnets are mounted inside, and the raised edges around them seem really prone to scratching and uneven wear. Thankfully, it looks like the "metallic" sheen isn't paint at all but a pearlescent powder mixed in with the yellow, and if so you should be able to sand those injection artifacts away and then buff the plastic back to its original appearance. Those sink marks are really obvious on the speargun's handle, but also on the outside face of it where... there's no magnet. Looks like they planned an extra magnet there right up through tooling?

On the subject of scale: I want it 1:1 on principle, but ultimately I'm okay with the smaller size. It's totally selfish, but I'm an extra small person in extra small gloves (and youth size Air Trainers!) so it's nice to have a smaller belt to go with NECA's smaller speargun and smaller batarang. It's not often that things fit me the way they're supposed to, especially superhero stuff.

The general curve of the piece fits me well, so the side panels are secure and the buckle is solid, but the belt is so tall that any kind of movement shifts it around enough to get the back opening up. I plan on replacing that piece with a strip of elastic anyway so it can stretch open on the back when I sit or crouch but keep nice and snug when standing. I also want to rip the molded inserts out of the side panels to open up the space (the insides don't match the style of the movie's gadgets at all) and add in some bottom hinges so I can use them for holding ID and credit cards/cash, that sort of thing.

And the extra capsule accessories mean I can take off the gadget part and mount something actually useful to the top cap... keys, lighters, etc.. I think that once people get used to the belt (and make a screen-accurate replacement latch) that we'll see some cool functional mods for it!
The silver is paint. I tried fixing a scratch on my buckle button with 5000 grit. I thought the same thing about it being pigment in the plastic but nope.It just turned yellow. I tested another spot inside the belt and the silver started to buff away. I’m not bothered.

The silver is paint. I tried fixing a scratch on my buckle button with 5000 grit. I thought the same thing about it being pigment in the plastic but nope.It just turned yellow. I tested another spot inside the belt and the silver started to buff away. I’m not bothered.

Well, poop. I thought the color was a good enough compromise for the many different tones the belt takes especially when it completely deletes the issue of paint rubbing onto the suit, but now I might as well paint it. Anyone have any good rattlecan recs as a base? Although I do have this all these metallic nail powders I've been meaning to try out....

Well, poop. I thought the color was a good enough compromise for the many different tones the belt takes especially when it completely deletes the issue of paint rubbing onto the suit, but now I might as well paint it. Anyone have any good rattlecan recs as a base? Although I do have this all these metallic nail powders I've been meaning to try out....
Go to Advance Auto and have them make you a rattle can of Kia Starbright Yellow. It’s about $30
You’re welcome :)

Last edited:
I like it. Its not perfect but it does look good with the costume. I did a review on it if you want to know more.

Attachments

• 359143765_267966855843258_5268866193018357532_n.jpg
    359143765_267966855843258_5268866193018357532_n.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 83

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back