ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Yes but for many me included good just enough to get approved is not good enough I dont care what is approvable in my eye it has to be as close as the movie as possible its just a self satisfaction, you can get approved in a FX armor minus helmet

Right there! I'm also more into screen accuracy then basic approval. I know the 501st does charity work but imo that should come second in the costume hobby. There are other ways to do charity work that is Star Wars related that does not involve spending $2-3k on yourself. If you're gonna do it, do right and with a bang. Be the character that has walked right off the screen! Because we did not watch any other version of them.

Anovos armor is good but the helmet has issues that are not on the R1 or ANH buckets. I can see this as an issue for people who actually have passion for the hobby and not just using it as a means to an end. The results between the 2 are huge.

Please tone down the No True Scotsman gatekeeping...? I have an actual passion for the hobby, thanks, and I devote that to idealized symmetrical, the way an impersonal, galaxy-spanning Empire would design and mass-manufacture.

I can appreciate those who appreciate the hurried and less-than-perfected sculpts made for Star Wars, and seek to lovingly re-create them, up to and including paint runs, thumbprint in not-yet-cooled plastic, cracks, and gaffers' tape. I do not accept that as the only valid way to approach it.

That said, I like neither the lineage helmets like RS, due to that horribly asymmetrical wonkiness; nor the Rogue One helmets, because they made topical markings into ill-conceived physical holes for dirt to get into, unnecessarily redesigned the earcap greeblies, and deliberately canted those greeblies to re-create the off-angle of how some of the originals were assembled; nor, in fact, the ANOVOS version, because it maintains some of the asymmetries while eliminating others, resulting in the worst of all worlds.

If we get nothing at all in Q4 we can argue about accuracy then, for a different reason. I like this community for all the different perspectives, for both the true to the original, and the ‘as I saw or imagined it’ view (I am part of both based on time and goals). For me at this moment, it’s a question of Anovos’ ability to deliver based on past promises, posts and photos.

I don't think the on screen version of a prop is necessarily the best way to represent the in universe object. Sometimes they used multiple props with obvious differences to represent a single in universe object. Can we say any of those props is the ultimate representation when the film makers didn't make the details consistent?

Some people want to replicate the prop. Others want to replicate the in universe object often in a more idealized way. Both are totally fine.

Even RS Props is not screen accurate with the majority of their stunt TK helmets. They use ABS which wasn't the original material. Bare ABS is quite different than painted HDPE with paint falling off. I know they have made some helmets with the original material, but it is a small percentage.

Anovos made some choices that many disagree with on the OT TK and Vader that make them not totally accurate to the actual props. These are costumes, not prop replicas. 90+% of the general public will not notice the difference. I understand that doesn't please the warts and all fans, but even on these boards I'm not sure that is the vast majority. Plenty of people on these boards have bought the Hasbro Black Series helmets which certainly have a accuracy issues.

The good thing about OT TK and Vader replicas is that there are plenty of options to choose from.

Maybe in your eyes, in my eyes a much better example of a accurate sanitized helmet/suit are the AP's and TM's and much better quality, all cleaned up with all the assymetries still present. Most people who got the Anovos they just jumped at it since it was a first time fully licensed costume for only $350 but had no clue how a movie suit really should look like, to prove my point the volume of people joining whitearmor.net increased by quite a bit after Anovos started selling TK's, many newbies mostly Anovos customers were posting they had received a suit defects or helmet or parts were badly formed and planning to return for replacement ect... basically Anovos is made for the average guy who just wants to have fun in a stormtrooper costume which is fine, the RS, TM, AP, TE are made for the more hardcore that want something more screen accurate.

The answer is easy - it´s obvisiously not made for your liking, so move along. Noone will force you to spend money on it, buy somewhere else and don´t think to much about it if it makes you unhappy.

Right there! I'm also more into screen accuracy then basic approval. I know the 501st does charity work but imo that should come second in the costume hobby. There are other ways to do charity work that is Star Wars related that does not involve spending $2-3k on yourself. If you're gonna do it, do right and with a bang. Be the character that has walked right off the screen! Because we did not watch any other version of them.

Anovos armor is good but the helmet has issues that are not on the R1 or ANH buckets. I can see this as an issue for people who actually have passion for the hobby and not just using it as a means to an end. The results between the 2 are huge.

I think there are many bigger problems in the costuming scene if we go for screen accuracy.

A Vader 2-3 inch to small? Makes no Vader for me.
A blonde Leia? Makes no Leia for me.
A fat costumer? Makes no true representation of any main character to me.
And the list goes further.

No matter how accurate the details of the costume itself are. And even if you are e perfect copy - be sure, you are still a adult that just plays costuming, no real trooper or Vader.

But i think if these costumes are used for that charity work ..... the kids don´t care, they are just happy. That´s the only reason i can understand adults costuming as fictional characters.

But i think if these costumes are used for that charity work ..... the kids don´t care, they are just happy. That´s the only reason i can understand adults costuming as fictional characters.
1568988316758.png

Some people like doing one thing, some people like doing another thing. I feel like, unless something drastic happens to someone over the course of their life, their personality and tastes and likes are often set fairly young, and only added to over time. Everything I liked as a child, I still do. Star Wars, reading, models, girls, drawing, sewing, Star Trek, macaroni and cheese, Transformers, playing dress-up, games of all kinds...

Only real differences now is that I am not nearly as reliant on others (parents, mainly) to be able to do/enjoy those things, and my expression of that enjoyment has gotten more complex -- and often more expensive. I feel that, often, people think they have to stop liking toys and dressing up and stuff like that when they "grow up", that being an adult is about being serious and wearing a tie to work and magically changing into an entirely different person. I like making costumes and props because I like the costumes and props. The charity work is a fringe benefit for me, but something I feel a number of folks in the costuming groups use as a justification for something that they're worried will look "silly" to "normal people". If I couldn't wear a costume for charity, I'd wear it at conventions. If I couldn't do that, I'd wear it for Halloween. If I couldn't do that, I'd display them around the house and still dress up from time to time because why not?

So out of curiosity, have they stuck at all to their new shipping schedule? Anything from Q3 being delivered? My order is slated for Q4 but I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery at this point than getting my pack kit in that shipping window
What happens if they yet again drop the ball and issue yet another delay?

So out of curiosity, have they stuck at all to their new shipping schedule? Anything from Q3 being delivered? My order is slated for Q4 but I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery at this point than getting my pack kit in that shipping window

No, my previous question has been answered.
And same answer to you, no the ‘shipping schedule’ is just pure fantasy, means absolutely nothing.

I’ve been waiting, believing that they would come good with all the pressure put on them, but I’m afraid it’s time for me to say enough is enough.

Credit card company being contacted, then my dealings with this bizarre company are finally over.

Last I heard from them, a direct e-mail on Aug 20th, said that Solo jackets were ready and awaiting final inspection for shipping to their warehouse and that they'd ship after October 1st. If you stretch their stated sales conditions, they have until the end of Sep to get them into their warehouse, then another 14 days to process and ship. The clock is ticking....

Some AT-AT Driver helmets, Sandtrooper helmets, and TLJ FO Stormtrooper helmets have shipped. I don't know about the rest of the items.

As far as I know nothing special happens if the schedule slips.

These are costumes, not prop replicas. 90+% of the general public will not notice the difference.

More like 99%. The average person can't even see a difference between an FX suit and a movie suit and thinks the FX is amazing. (not that I'm condoning the FX as a good product)

To say the Anovos stormtrooper looks nothing like a movie suit is subjective, but probably for 99% of the population, it's an exact replica. No average person or even an average fan realizes there are differences between the suits from movie to movie too.

More like 99%. The average person can't even see a difference between an FX suit and a movie suit and thinks the FX is amazing. (not that I'm condoning the FX as a good product)

To say the Anovos stormtrooper looks nothing like a movie suit is subjective, but probably for 99% of the population, it's an exact replica. No average person or even an average fan realizes there are differences between the suits from movie to movie too.

I grew up on Star Wars, and I still love it, but my favorite movie has been been Rogue One, since the first time I saw it. If someone ever makes a R1TK, I’d buy one. Otherwise, I’m working on the most screen accurate Shoretrooper possible. If others don’t care about screen accuracy, that doesn’t change what is important to me. Then 99% of people are welcome to buy a Rubies helmet, and I won’t lose any sleep, just don’t try and sell me on the idea.

What doesn’t make any sense is that people tell me I shouldn’t like the R1TK because it’s not 100% faithful to the bumpy/asymmetrical OTTK, and that the current Anovos version is superior for accuracy. The simple fact is, that point is invalid because the Anovos TK Bucket isn’t faithful to any helmet, asymmetrical or not.

Like a real life version of Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown. After YEARS of hearing the same thing over and over "ya we've had problems with suppliers, but we've learned from those mistakes!"....I feel safe saying that one or two things might ship, late. Most will not.

Also, we will still be having this same conversation next summer. Probably even about some of the same pieces.

I grew up on Star Wars, and I still love it, but my favorite movie has been been Rogue One, since the first time I saw it. If someone ever makes a R1TK, I’d buy one. Otherwise, I’m working on the most screen accurate Shoretrooper possible. If others don’t care about screen accuracy, that doesn’t change what is important to me. Then 99% of people are welcome to buy a Rubies helmet, and I won’t lose any sleep, just don’t try and sell me on the idea.

What doesn’t make any sense is that people tell me I shouldn’t like the R1TK because it’s not 100% faithful to the bumpy/asymmetrical OTTK, and that the current Anovos version is superior for accuracy. The simple fact is, that point is invalid because the Anovos TK Bucket isn’t faithful to any helmet, asymmetrical or not.

Well, i´m sure 99% don´t care for your wish of accuracy on R1 stuff - and that´s nothing wrong.
Under the line NOONE has to say others what to like - not the costumers the accuracy nuts that they shall love not accurate stuff, and also not the accuracy nuts those that are not on that way that they have to go accurate stuff. Everyone just shut up, move along, don´t complain about stuff you don´t like and just buy with your money the stuff you like.

And additional all that is pointless even more in this thread, where we have a company that delivers nothing, not accurate and also not inaccurate, just nothing than excuses. And most of the time not even that.

The way I look at it....the public needs to stop believing the misconceptions like the size and color of Vader's helmet for example. I had a previous helmet delivered to work and my co worker couldn't understand why the box was so big after I told her what it is. My step dad asked me what I was polishing after getting a glimpse of the face crown then asked me why is it grey. That's just my own personal experience with misconceptions about the on screen props. Represent the characters right to reduce the made up image in the public's eye. People think fx tk is accurate. I have a friend who troops in it and it's cringe worthy, especially the helmet.

The minute details are for self satisfaction but to some degree accuracy is a must to represent the on screen version.

But ..... what if i don´t like the crappy made on screen versions?

The finish is one thing...the source another.If the source is crap..the complete prop is crap.
But I think 90% of all paintjobs are idealized in some ways to hit the taste of the maker.You cannot match the screenused look 100%.
So you can make a prop with lineage looking better for modern eyes with better paint and remove some small defects...thats what EFX always did.
But Anovos Vader is not a propreplica for me...its a costume helmet.A better one but they ruined the base with mods...if they really had an esb cast at the beginning..nobody knows.

I like my SW-props near as possible to the real ones...but I can also understand that some people wants it a little bit more idealized.
But I think the source should be a good cast of a real prop.Or made from the original digital files for the movie for the modern props.

Replicas can still look like the original with out the shoddy finish.
It depends what the purchaser wants. Some want the shoddy finish because that is how certain props were. Others want it to look better. What makes it look better varies from person to person. It could be how it is finished, better materials, or changing physical "flaws".

For me, I prefer a certain amount of clean up. An OT TK shouldn't have paint runs and lumps unless it is intended to replicate some kind of weathering. A rough Sandtrooper or Shoretrooper makes sense, but sloppy construction still doesn't look right to me.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back