Unlimited Run Aluminum vibro axe blade

Hey guys, I started calculating shipping etc. And the machinist that does the work or that would be doing the work on the blades is in the hospital with kidney failure. Im going to another resource. For the machine cutting. Due to the problems I had last time I need to make sure and approve of the cutting and files being transferred. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I finally mounted one of the blades to the pole. For those of you wondering how I was going to mount this. I put a 4ft 3/4" wooden dowel in the 1" pipe to make it more rigid also to prevent the pipe from collapsing when i torqued the bolts. I then ran 2- 1/4x20 bolts through the pipe and wood dowel in the pipe and into the blade. I used split washers and square nuts on the bolts. Im going to fill the hairdryer with resin, the resin will also go through the holes in the blade. Once cured this thing should be really solid.
20200811_214538.jpg
20200811_221919.jpg

Thank you. Its actually not too top heavy. It feels legit.
I was thinking about adding weight to the soaker to help balance it out if needed. I think the feel of a prop when you handle it is just as important as visual accuracy. Just feels better when it's got some heft to it.

I finally mounted one of the blades to the pole. For those of you wondering how I was going to mount this. I put a 4ft 3/4" wooden dowel in the 1" pipe to make it more rigid also to prevent the pipe from collapsing when i torqued the bolts. I then ran 2- 1/4x20 bolts through the pipe and wood dowel in the pipe and into the blade. I used split washers and square nuts on the bolts. Im going to fill the hairdryer with resin, the resin will also go through the holes in the blade. Once cured this thing should be really solid.

If you're going with another machine shop and the design isn't committed I was thinking there might be a simpler way to attach the blade to the pole that would be more secure. It totally works the way it is but just throwing this out as something to think about if it's not all already finalized.
Instead of drilling holes in the side as access points for nuts and washers, what if you left that completely solid, and on the edge that touches the pole, you mill a beveled channel so it fits the curve of the pole and just drill and tap two holes for longer bolts?
that way the curved fitment and added amount of material being held would be much greater than just the thin part between your washer and the pole and a flat surface touching a curved surface.
Or even if you didn't mill a channel if that's too involved, just having long threaded bolts all the way through would be more secure.
Just a thought.
Screen Shot 08-14-20 at 09.47 AM.PNG
Screen Shot 08-14-20 at 09.48 AM.PNG

Last edited:
Agree with Trent... this would be a much more secure fit... A flat surface mated to a round surface will wiggle... or you'll have to tighten to ridiculous lengths.

just threaded holes will be more secure and a curved mating surface.

The aluminum is not soft aluminum. Its very strong. You would really have to put forth some serious effort to rip the blade off the pole. The point of the holes, for me wasn't necessarily to access the bolts it was so that the resin would also go through the blade. I totally understand what you're saying and considerd doing it. At this point I really just want to build this thing and finish it. If you like when i sort things out with these guys I can leave yours solid instead of putting 3/4" holes in it. Either way I appreciate your input.

I totally get it and definitely not trying to change shoes at the finish line, i was just thinking it might be easier than drilling those two large holes out.
No need to do anything different to mine, I could still drill and tap passed those side holes if it was necessary. I wasn't planning on filling mine with resin in case I ever needed to disassemble it in the future.
Again it is completely amazeballs the way it is so I hope it didn't come across as me complaining. I just thought if it ended up being both easier and more secure then it might be something to think about. that's all.
Super stoked for this!

No not at all. I really wish I had more time to work on these things. Im a full time electrician and I really do appreciate your input and suggestions. Anything to help me be a better builder im totally up for. Ill still look into it. I just know the hassles and wasted aluminum i had to go through with these other guys. Not mocking them at all they provided much help it just gets frustrating when you have to baby step through the entire process no matter how thorough your cad drawings are. Thanks again bud no offense taken at all

I finally mounted one of the blades to the pole. For those of you wondering how I was going to mount this. I put a 4ft 3/4" wooden dowel in the 1" pipe to make it more rigid also to prevent the pipe from collapsing when i torqued the bolts. I then ran 2- 1/4x20 bolts through the pipe and wood dowel in the pipe and into the blade. I used split washers and square nuts on the bolts. Im going to fill the hairdryer with resin, the resin will also go through the holes in the blade. Once cured this thing should be really solid. View attachment 1335969View attachment 1335970

Wow. Just wow.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back