All original parts Obi ANH saber - adding cotter pins

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm in process of upgrading my all original parts Obi saber with cotter pins going through the clamp and booster. I think I'm going to have to replace my clamp as the 'figure 8' holes don't appear to be in the right place, they don't line up with the holes in the booster.

Has anyone mapped out exactly where to place the holes on the clamp in relation to the booster? :)

Last edited:
Re: Obi ANH saber. Where to place the cotter pins and 'figure 8' holes

Is the whole cotter pin used? I can't figure out how this all fits together! :darnkids

Re: Obi ANH saber. Where to place the cotter pins and 'figure 8' holes?

The figure 8 holes should be exactly opposite eachother on the clamp, and in that configuration the booster bearing holes will never line-up because the bearing holes are not opposite eachother. (similar the brass screw holes are exactly opposite eachother). I believe the clamp was at some point probably put up in a drill press and holes were drilled straight through from one side to the other.

Currently there is no hard evidence that the cotter pins were used at all, and no hard evidence that the bearing is under the clamp either. I have not seen any Obi ANH saber yet that uses the bearing and cotter pins, and/or it looks exactly like available reference photos.

If you can figure it out I'd love a tutorial because I never could.

Also, if the bearing is screwed all the way down it covers the figure-8 holes where the wire would come out.

So is the consensus then that the saber was cobbled back together - with the cotter pins & brass screws - after the production wrapped, for reference photos (which are now known as the Mechanismo and Chronicles shots) and the saber - or sabers - that were constructed for the film were assembled without the pins & screws?

Yes, sort of.

The filming shots and screen caps show no wires and screws.

Unless the cotter pins were tucked inside the clamp the whole time and then brought out and used if/when the saber needed repair it's a stretch that booster/bearing cotter pins were used.

It makes more sense that if the center was a pipe or wooden dowel that a hole was drilled from top to bottom and a wire was inserted all the way through, cut on both ends, and bent over to keep the clamp in place and keep it from moving/sliding.

No evidence has ever come out that the bearing assembly was ever used, but it's possible.

No matter where you thread the bearing it's next to impossible to get a cotter pin in a hole, in the clamp, and out the figure-8 holes. Plus the holes don't match up with where the figure-8 holes are located, and the bearing blocks the openings.

No matter where you thread the bearing it's next to impossible to get a cotter pin in a hole, in the clamp, and out the figure-8 holes. Plus the holes don't match up with where the figure-8 holes are located, and the bearing blocks the openings.
Yeah, I know - I had that same experience... so I faked it.

I'm thinking of re-doing my saber with an unaltered clamp.

Can someone post a pic as I have no clue as to what you are referring to.

I have an icons owl, and would like to see what you fellas are talking about.

ObiWanANHSaber1.jpg

Boosterringmeasurement2.jpg

FS071-vi.jpg

Crop_FS036-vi.jpg

wirelm9.jpg

So is the consensus then that the saber was cobbled back together - with the cotter pins & brass screws - after the production wrapped, for reference photos (which are now known as the Mechanismo and Chronicles shots) and the saber - or sabers - that were constructed for the film were assembled without the pins & screws?

I'm of the opinion that the saber used in Tunisia and the one shown in the Chronicles shot is a different prop. There's just too many differences, and there MUST have been more than one OWK lightsaber prop made for filming.

Dan

Thank you sir for the pics. makes sense now as to what you are referring to.

Is there a decent picture showing the other wire/cotter pin? The one half wau around the clamp?

I notice that this one is rotated so the 8 hole is actually lined up with one of the booster ridges. If the other one is rotated the other way then it could be made to work.

I eventually managed to get the cotter pins in there, just not sure exactly where to cut them. I take it all that should be left of them is a little 'U' shape?

I would upload pictures but my PC refuses to pick up my camera these days. :rolleyes

So, should I just cut these down to leave little 'u' shapes?

obi1.jpg

obi2.jpg

Bump. This is the only way I can see of getting the cotter pin through the booster bearing and figure 8 holes so that they are actually doing anything useful.

Is this right?

What if the cotter pin remains the same as seen in above picture (so in fact only half a leg remains on the cotterpin the other half is cut off at the other end once being through the bearing ... get it?) and the booster
is screwed inside the graflex clamp stuck behind both tab holes ridges ... is there then an opening to get that one leg of the cotterpin wired through the first 'mistaken' eight hole and once out then pulled tight through the other eight hole and cut short? So that it's only purpose will become to hold the graflex clamp in place keeping it from spinning around a little on the booster bearing :)

Mind you an Obi-Wan ANH lightsaber with this booster + booster bearing configuration attached like so inside the graflex clamp, will hold the booster already fixated tightly onto the clamp . . . on its own :)

That's why initially no cotterpins would be needed, as James Kenobi has pointed out earlier, however during principle photography and dropping the lightsaber once again for say 'take 327' it could possibly have been heavily damaged and needed restoring after filming, just in case lateron some more pick-up shots with Alec Guinness and it's lightsaber-prop were needed for whatever scene necessary.

Keep us posted Kurtyboy,

-Chaim

I don't see how this is possible.

What if the cotter pin remains the same as seen in above picture (so in fact only half a leg remains on the cotterpin the other half is cut off at the other end once being through the bearing ... get it?) and the booster
is screwed inside the graflex clamp stuck behind both tab holes ridges ... is there then an opening to get that one leg of the cotterpin wired through the first 'mistaken' eight hole and once out then pulled tight through the other eight hole and cut short? So that it's only purpose will become to hold the graflex clamp in place keeping it from spinning around a little on the booster bearing :)

Mind you an Obi-Wan ANH lightsaber with this booster + booster bearing configuration attached like so inside the graflex clamp, will hold the booster already fixated tightly onto the clamp . . . on its own :)

That's why initially no cotterpins would be needed, as James Kenobi has pointed out earlier, however during principle photography and dropping the lightsaber once again for say 'take 327' it could possibly have been heavily damaged and needed restoring after filming, just in case lateron some more pick-up shots with Alec Guinness and it's lightsaber-prop were needed for whatever scene necessary.

Keep us posted Kurtyboy,

-Chaim

... instead of words I should have used diagrams that would have visually explained what I had in mind :lol

-Chaim

I mean I don't see how it could be possible to get the cotter pin to go in and back out of the same figure 8 hole(s).

... instead of words I should have used diagrams that would have visually explained what I had in mind :lol

-Chaim

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back