Aliens: Gateway Station Shuttle- research thread

Stefan, found some at Boots, but no joy, forgot to tell ya lol, the angle is all wrong, they are more straight with a single "bend" into the mirror, i see two bends on the prop...yes?

I may just pick up some cheap ones, and see if they can be just warmed, and formed, plastic should be pretty workable?

lee

Oh, meant to say Stefan, been a bit distracted from this one buddy, lots going on lol, but, wanted to say, way neat build so far :love, i just need a darn Quel Quallie TBH and ill be joining in!

lee

hey stomper

on the tail tube of the shuttle, are the plastic strips on the tube (the one's on each side of the tail) are those the vanes from the Quallie, or are they styrene strips?

it looks segmented like the vanes on the QQ

any insight on the landing struts? I'm not convinced they were from a helicopter kit at this point, they look like the frame piece from something else to me

The strips look like simple Plastruct strips. I checked the QQ but nothing close. However, the QQ engines could be the source part for the end cone of the tail.
As for the landing struts - it's hard to tell from the picture but those might be the exhaust pipes of the Yamaha kit.

Cheers,
Stefan

the one on the shuttle looks like a Reach toothbrush (you remember the commercials "You don't have a flip top head, so we made Reach...) I wonder if they did Dental Mirrors?

Another update:
8164239.jpeg

Any ideas about the parts in the wheel arches?

Cheers,
Stefan

Could the "dental mirrors" actually be part of a cheap set of headphones?

-Mike J.

Hmm, interesting idea.
However, if you have a look at this picture (from the start of this thread) you'll see that these are most certainly dentist mirrors:

gatewayship2.jpg

...but I've been wrong before....

Cheers,
Stefan

Last edited:
well, we have an answer to that... the tail is definitely NOT the Airfix

so I guess that leaves the ESCI kit, or are there any other manufacturers that popped a Tornado?

Last edited:
Ok, what have we checked:

Revell "Tornado GR.1 RAF" - copyright 1998
Italeri "Tornado ECR" - no copyright
Airfix "Panavia Tornado GR1" - copyright 1982

To check:
Hasegawa "Tornado GR4"
http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!BR0fUJwCGk~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmV5L+BK!Bz9Fbow~~_1.JPG
Hasegawa tail would probably be more detailed...

Heller "Tornado GR4 / GR 4A" - too new?
ESCI/ERTL
Testors "MRCA Tornado" (this kit is differend to Italeri Tornado ECR)

%21BTr7qqwB2k%7E$%28KGrHgoH-DUEjlLlw8DFBKJvTSR,vQ%7E%7E_1.JPG

Monogram "Tornado"
%21BT1j%29iQ%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-EIEjlLl09%21jBKKlDrhPc%21%7E%7E_1.JPG

There is also a Tamiya kit but from what I know this is too new.

Feel free to add to the list...

I'd suggest to check the Monogram and ESCI kits next.

Cheers,
Stefan

Last edited:
the Kit was the Airfix Panavia Tornado GR1 copyright 1982

mine's not even close enough to use, so I'll be buying another either way...

Last edited:
Hi JT,

thanks for the link to the sprue pictures!
However, we are looking for a 1/72 scale kit and that one is 1/48 scale.

It also has to be a kit that was available before 1986 but this is difficult to check as the same kit is often sold in a diffend box later on. Revell's Space Shuttle for example hasn't changed a bit (except for the decals) and was sold in many differend type of boxes.

Cheers,
Stefan

Oops! 1/72, I should have checked a bit better. I thought it looked like a 1/48th kit. I got a Quel and a Regult yesterday, so I'll be able to check a bit better in future.
Here's a link to scans of the Esci kit http://www.modelingmadness.com/scotts/mod/gb/tornadopreview.htm
tornadob.jpg

and for the Hasegawa GR1 (I have one of these at home, I'll check the dates) http://www.modelingmadness.com/scotts/mod/has/has51555preview.htm
has51555a.jpg
Here's the Matchbox http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/mod/previews/pk130.htm
pk130a.jpg

Haven't found any scans of the Monogram, but apparently the "RSAF" (Saudi Air Force) Revell kit was/is a Monogram re-pop.
IDS_RSAF.jpg

Cheers and good luck with the ID's

JT

JT, thanks for those scans!
I didn't know the modellingmadness site and it went right to my bookmarks. :)

I'll have to check the parts when I get back from work.

Cheers,
Stefan

Ok from the links/images JT posted above, I think we can rule out the matchbox kit as it is missing the forward passive ECM housing:

The description of the Hasegawa kit says "Developed in the late 1980s" - so we can skip that one too.

The ESCI-kit could be right from what I can make out in the picture.

There's also this interesting bit of info: "Probably the first kit on the market was a tie between Airfix and Monogram, though ESCI did follow closely". As the tail fin of the shuttle is missing the tiny fins near the base, we can assume that it was an early kit. We already dismissed the Airfix kit which would leave the Monogram and the Esci to be the next logical steps.

Cheers,
Stefan

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got an interesting link from Mangamax (who will soon join us here) to the first finished Gateway Shuttle build by Matt Meyer:

018-sized.jpg

More about it here: http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=12837
It's interesting to see how some of the (now) found parts were made to complete this ship. There's also some detail added to the intakes of the porsche.

Cheers,
Stefan

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back