Aliens: Gateway Station Shuttle- research thread

I was looking at tanks... but I know there's a few 1/72 submarines out there (no idea how long they've been in print)

the parts on the front fenders of the Porsche mounted behind the "senser arms"... are they not from the QQ? (I was thinking they were because of the contour)

1:72 scale would be the upper limit for the scale if these are indeed doors. I'd say it's more 1:100 scale.

I'm not sure what part(s) you are refering to in the second part of your post - could you mark them in the picture?

Cheers,
Stefan

Thats a tremendous spread of parts Stefan, im really eager to see you begin the build, looks a reall fun one too.

Hatches on the front fender, hmm dont know, i get an engine vibe about them, ill go do some searching as im looking up RT donors right now!

lee

Anyone here with a Peterbuilt truck? The parts left and right of the (truck?) radiator look like they could be from the suspension of a Peterbuilt....

Cheers,
Stefan

Stefan, those parts look like brake disc holders to me. Maybe from a large bike?

Cheers and love the build and parts hunt, JT

Stefan, those parts look like brake disc holders to me. Maybe from a large bike?

Cheers and love the build and parts hunt, JT

I just got the Yamaha kit in - those parts are actually some kind of motor shroud or air filters on that kit. It also contains the radiator, the two parts on the fender,... actually almost everyhing that was missing :love

Lee, you got the right vibe once again - the parts on the fender are the cylinder heads of the engine!

I'll post pictures as soon as possible....

Cheers,
Stefan

Heh, Stefan, glad the vibe maybe helped a little, this thing is a little off my normal IDing methods lol, but, you guys have done a bang up job, so tell me, you'll being building soon...PLEASE :lol this is such a cool, and ill say it again, refreshing thread, i love things off the beaten track!

lee

Ah, just looked at the Yamaha kit, so the fender plates are a bike seat pod afterall, a great buy for this prop Stefan, and a great find buddy!

lee

I think the part underneat the Tornado tail (any luck on the Airfix kit?) is just a tube that may have been used to mount the model from the rear. There seems to be some kind of cone attached to the rear end (maybe to resemble a rocket engine). The gap to the Huey tails seems be crudely bridged with filler. Maybe more of the Seahawk tail was initially attached here and was later ripped off (at least there is no clean cut at the remaining tail fins).

This brings me to a differnd subject - what does everyone think about building this kit: as close as possible to the studio model with all its imperfections or idealized (e.g. with the tail gap filed in nicely with the Seahawk fins blended in and cleanly applied decals).
It sure needs some weathering to fit into the Aliens universe, but most of the "weathering" on the original looks like dust that couldn't be cleaned off because its in places hard to get to.

Cheers,
Stefan

PS: I probably won't be able to past pictures before the weekend.... :unsure

Stefan, id go the studio model route, simple as :lol As for the main body beneath the Seahawk etc, i agree, thats just a tube, more than likely just an armature mount, hidden by the Heli tails, in other words, a fast and "dirty" build...which, IMO, is cool!

lee

I'll know about the airfix kit hopefully on thursday or friday

here's what I was asking about
gatewayshuttlequestions.jpg

oh, and that little frame piece right above the muffler on the bike
if you go back to the first pic in the thread, you'll see it plain as day underneath the tail section

also... is there a tubular frame on the bike? just wondering if maybe that's what they used for the landing struts

Last edited:
I'll know about the airfix kit hopefully on thursday or friday

here's what I was asking about
gatewayshuttlequestions.jpg

oh, and that little frame piece right above the muffler on the bike
if you go back to the first pic in the thread, you'll see it plain as day underneath the tail section

also... is there a tubular frame on the bike? just wondering if maybe that's what they used for the landing struts

Woah! Now I know what you are talking about! I don't know how I could miss it. Looked like badly applied filler to me - doh! :eek

Matt is right - that obviously the leg of the regult.
Sorry Matt, no other helmet parts so far .... :unsure

Cheers,
Stefan

Amazing project!

I saw the model today in Seattle. A member had asked if possible for shots of the bottom. But the way it is situated in the case (even if they allowed photos), this is completly impossible. Sorry guys...

Amazing project!

I saw the model today in Seattle. A member had asked if possible for shots of the bottom. But the way it is situated in the case (even if they allowed photos), this is completly impossible. Sorry guys...

Thanks a lot for giving it a try! :)
Did you spot any parts or something worth of note? ;)

Cheers,
Stefan

Last edited:
I'm looking for the tail tube at the moment. Judging from the pictures and the Quel Quallie part I'd say it should be about 18mm in diameter.
However, as this was probably used to mount the model for photography I was wondering if there is something like a standard to mounting armatures.

Cheers,
Stefan

damn, check you out!

I got outbid on the airfix tornado, but I won one yesterday
so I'll have a definitive answer on that one shortly... and more parts for the parts box:lol

btw, have you found a dental mirror that matches yet?

Haven't found the dental mirrors yet - there only seem to be those with straight shafts around.
If all else fails I'll have to build them. But Lee is looking for those too.

Cheers,
Stefan

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back