2001: ASO Clavius Suit

I have finally started my Clavius base suit. I'll be posting progress photos here. I welcome any and all feedback. Here are some images of the start of the helmet.

I modeled it MAYA and prepped the files for print in Meshmixer. Printed in Carbon fiber PLA. I wasn't happy with a few spots after printing so I did some reshaping with JB Weld. I forgot to take pictures of the print before I started refining it but will be better documenting my steps as I go.

I've decided that rather than go 100% screen accurate, I want to embellish some areas with detail not seen on the available reference.

As you can see I designed in faciting into the "data cartridge" section to guarantee a perfect alignment of the cartridges. I will be using magnets to make the cartridges removable and putting some memory card style attachment. Diagram is WIP.
I believe those holes in the back are air vents. Not sure you want to plug them :)

I believe those holes in the back are air vents. Not sure you want to plug them :)

No air vents on this helmet;)
The vents are there. I put faucet screens over them on the inside to dress them up a bit as well as designed my own interior pads, since, I'm not going for screen used accurate. There is clearance behind the data cards on the outside and the fans in the top will draw air in and blow it to the front. It actually circulates air quite well. :)

Attachments

• 20201019_111138.jpg
    20201019_111138.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 111
The vents are there. I put faucet screens over them on the inside to dress them up a bit as well as designed my own interior pads, since, I'm not going for screen used accurate. There is clearance behind the data cards on the outside and the fans in the top will draw air in and blow it to the front. It actually circulates air quite well. :)
I wrote too fast:oops: No visible air vents:p

I have finally started my Clavius base suit. I'll be posting progress photos here. I welcome any and all feedback. Here are some images of the start of the helmet.

I modeled it MAYA and prepped the files for print in Meshmixer. Printed in Carbon fiber PLA. I wasn't happy with a few spots after printing so I did some reshaping with JB Weld. I forgot to take pictures of the print before I started refining it but will be better documenting my steps as I go.

I've decided that rather than go 100% screen accurate, I want to embellish some areas with detail not seen on the available reference.

As you can see I designed in faciting into the "data cartridge" section to guarantee a perfect alignment of the cartridges. I will be using magnets to make the cartridges removable and putting some memory card style attachment. Diagram is WIP.
PLEASE, PLEASE, tell me how how or where or some way I can aqquire these files. I would even pay for them. As a 16 year old, this movie is easily my favorite and I plan on taking it to future generations with me. This helmet has been my favorite part of this movie and to this day I have tried to cultivate one of my own. I ask in the most sincere way possible for some link to these files so I can print them out and create this helmet. I work a minimum wage job and can't afford Mike Scotts official replica kits. I would do anything. Thank you.

This is incredible work! You really did a beautiful job in capturing the look and the "vibe" of the helmet in all its glory. Do you have plans for selling the stl files in the future?

This is incredible work! You really did a beautiful job in capturing the look and the "vibe" of the helmet in all its glory. Do you have plans for selling the stl files in the future?
Thank you so much. I'm really enjoying making this. I am willing to share my files, they foc, but after printing I did a lot of modification to dial it in, so it's not a print and done thing. Problem is I had a catastrophic hard drive issue and may not ne able to recover those files. More to come as I exhaust recovery options.

So...I can't believe it been a year, but finally getting back to it...but I had to shift gears (and didn't document the process sorry) I completed the case I will be displaying the suit in...it's a doorway I constructed and there is another door to the room behind it. Its part of a house remodel and needed to prioritize it...I am now focusing 100 on getting the suit completed.

Attachments

• 20230115_120710.jpg
    20230115_120710.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230115_120718.jpg
    20230115_120718.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230115_120734.jpg
    20230115_120734.jpg
    766 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230115_121118.jpg
    20230115_121118.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230116_062723.jpg
    20230116_062723.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 78
  • 20230121_140129.jpg
    20230121_140129.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 74
So...I can't believe it been a year, but finally getting back to it...but I had to shift gears (and didn't document the process sorry) I completed the case I will be displaying the suit in...it's a doorway I constructed and there is another door to the room behind it. Its part of a house remodel and needed to prioritize it...I am now focusing 100 on getting the suit completed.
That helmet and display area are great! Can't wait to see the entire suit.

Wow...you went all out with that displayo_O :cool: :cool: (y) (y) How did you do it? Vacu-formed doors?

Wow...you went all out with that displayo_O :cool: :cool: (y) (y) How did you do it? Vacu-formed doors?
The main carcass is mdf, and I laser cut a door, then made a silicone mold and cast them in Smoothon Featherlite urethane resin. Hinges and latches all resin cast. Lights and vents are laser cut acrylic. Rubber mat for floor and ceiling..."dancer" pole from amazon to finish it off...I'll soon post images of the brackets for the pole that match the hardware the suits are on in the pod bay on the Discovery...

Attachments

• 20230122_124949.jpg
    20230122_124949.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 37
The main carcass is mdf, and I laser cut a door, then made a silicone mold and cast them in Smoothon Featherlite urethane resin. Hinges and latches all resin cast. Lights and vents are laser cut acrylic. Rubber mat for floor and ceiling..."dancer" pole from amazon to finish it off...I'll soon post images of the brackets for the pole that match the hardware the suits are on in the pod bay on the Discovery...

This looks amazing, well done display area. What'd you use to paint your resin parts to appear metallic?

This looks amazing, well done display area. What'd you use to paint your resin parts to appear metallic?
I have been getting great results with this product...2 to 3 coats of black, buffing with a fine scotchbrite pad between coats and topping off with the chrome spray, then a light buff with a cotton cloth...the neck ring on the helmet is the same process, and is what all the parts of the rest of the suit will get...

Attachments

• 20230122_205330.jpg
    20230122_205330.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
I have been getting great results with this product...2 to 3 coats of black, buffing with a fine scotchbrite pad between coats and topping off with the chrome spray, then a light buff with a cotton cloth...the neck ring on the helmet is the same process, and is what all the parts of the rest of the suit will get...

Thanks, I'm always on the hunt for new and decent metallizing techniques/products. I'm not familiar with this brand, is I'll need to read up on it. I'm actively learning electroplating, but good and fast painting techniques are always valuable.

...it's doorway I constructed and there is another door to the room behind it...
I'm a little dense at times, so please forgive the dumb questions, but are you saying that the display opens "as a door" into the adjacent room, or that the doorway no longer functions and you have to use another entrance to go into it?

I'm looking forward to seeing your suit come together. You're motivating me to restart mine, it keeps getting bumped by other projects that never get finished. Regardless, thanks...I think? :lol:(y)

Thanks, I'm always on the hunt for new and decent metallizing techniques/products. I'm not familiar with this brand, is I'll need to read up on it. I'm actively learning electroplating, but good and fast painting techniques are always valuable.

I'm a little dense at times, so please forgive the dumb questions, but are you saying that the display opens "as a door" into the adjacent room, or that the doorway no longer functions and you have to use another entrance to go into it?

I'm looking forward to seeing your suit come together. You're motivating me to restart mine, it keeps getting bumped by other projects that never get finished. Regardless, thanks...I think? :lol:(y)
You aren't dense, my post didn't make much sense...I removed the door and jam and built the cabinet in place. I have another entrance to that room (which happens to be where my 3d printers and laser cutter are.) It would have been cool to have it open, but that would reduced my usable space in that room...

You aren't dense, my post didn't make much sense...I removed the door and jam and built the cabinet in place. I have another entrance to that room (which happens to be where my 3d printers and laser cutter are.) It would have been cool to have it open, but that would reduced my usable space in that room...
Thanks for the clarity, and yes, your post may not have been very clear, but I’m still pretty dense (most of the time ).

Sounds like a cool way to display your suit and I’m looking forward to watching it come together.

So, progress on the boots. They are rigid 3d prints. The suit can stand on its own, supported by pvc up the legs. I struggled with how to even approach this, but I knew the suit was not something I would ever wear and in essence be a life-sized action figure standing at the door to my home office so this made sense and gave me great control. . I said on here before I'm not going for screen accuracy but my interpretation changing a few things to make them feel more real, my suit is sewn in the same fabric for ironing boards, so it has a cool fire suit tactileness to it it feels more real than the silver from the film. I also wanted the gloves and boots be made of the same leather, not the tan suade commonly depicted. I cut the legs off an old pair leather pants and wrapped the leather around them. I'm going to paint the black leather to match the gray of the gloves, and dust maybe dust with silver...maybe leave gray, palms of gloves will be died black...

Attachments

• 20230122_150736.jpg
    20230122_150736.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230123_202431.jpg
    20230123_202431.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230123_202450.jpg
    20230123_202450.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230123_202459.jpg
    20230123_202459.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
  • 20230123_202719.jpg
    20230123_202719.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20230123_202849.jpg
    20230123_202849.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 39
  • 20230121_134040.jpg
    20230121_134040.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back