2001: A Space (Station) Odyssey

Dave--

I applaud your ambition to build the Space Station, much less put it out as a kit! I tried to make this as a kit and had to abandon it due to the complexity and cost. I hope you at least make one for yourself, because I know it'll be perfect. I don't mean to imply you shouldn't make a kit of it, though-- it'll just be a complex and expensive kit!

Scott
AtomicCity@gmail.com

Dave--

I applaud your ambition to build the Space Station, much less put it out as a kit! I tried to make this as a kit and had to abandon it due to the complexity and cost. I hope you at least make one for yourself, because I know it'll be perfect. I don't mean to imply you shouldn't make a kit of it, though-- it'll just be a complex and expensive kit!

Scott
AtomicCity@gmail.com

Hey Scott, good to hear from you. Your 2001 kits have certainly set the benchmark for that film! Yes, this is an ambitious, expensive and none too practical kit project but what the heck!

I've been working on the central part of the hub. There's still a lot of small detail to add...
100730Axle.jpg

Here are some views of the skins on the second, under construction, ring. Still a lot of detailing to do.
100730UCRingSect6.jpg

100730UCRingSect4.jpg

100730UCRingSect1.jpg

100730UCRingSect5.jpg

Revised Hub End

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Phil (PodBay68) was kind enough to send me a photo I hadn't seen before of the studio model under construction. There were some differences so I've revised the end of the hub. The recessed opening under the docking port has changed a bit and the surface plating as well. Plus a few minor detail changes.

100804HubEnd.jpg

Absolutely love the work you've been doing here. Interesting use of Sketchup beforehand. Any particular reason why you didn't do that in Rhino ?

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers,

Wasili

SketchUp vs. Rhino

Absolutely love the work you've been doing here. Interesting use of Sketchup beforehand. Any particular reason why you didn't do that in Rhino ?

Sketchup is just really fast for massing out forms nd for use as a design tool. Especially when exporting and importing dxf files back and forth from SketchUp to Vectorworks (2D) to refine the dimensions. Rhino has a much more powerful toolset but is really better suited for "manufacturing" parts or detailed design work. At least for me!

I am new to this forum and I am totally astounded on what can be done by the model makers on this forum. Amazing simply amazing.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back