11th doctor waistcoats

Cap Fitzgerald

So, as to avoid derailment of other threads, I'm making this one so we can discuss the three waistcoats in the second half of series 7.

The first and most common is the "scale" waistcoat with woven silk buttons (except for in journey to the center of the tardis)
bells+of+st+john+portrait-1.jpg

The second is the velvet waistcoat with what looks like lambs wool trim and metal buttons in the Christmas special and darker buttons in nightmare in silver and the name of the doctor that seem like silk
1z5nk29.jpg

And last is the dark gray almost black plaid waistcoat in the 50th anniversary episode that has normal looking black buttons with small white circles or dots around the edges.
10r07yr.jpg

Let's see what we can find out about these

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if that last one has some purple woven into it. I also never noticed that the grey waistcoat had different buttons in Journey. Kind of an odd change. It occurs to me though that a person could make the two easily exchangeable by sewing both sets of buttons to one side of a sew on snap and the other side to the waistcoat. It wouldn't be as strong as sewn on buttons, but it would make it effortless to switch between the two variants.

That'd be one option, to avoid making two waistcoats (which I'll probably end up doing me, knowing myself)
It's just confusing because Journey is actually smack in the middle of filming when it comes to production order. There's no reason to change the buttons

That'd be one option, to avoid making two waistcoats (which I'll probably end up doing me, knowing myself)
It's just confusing because Journey is actually smack in the middle of filming when it comes to production order. There's no reason to change the buttons

It isn't only Journey that has the plain buttons on the waistcoat, I think they are also in The Rings of Akhaten. Maybe the coat started out with the silk buttons for Cold War and Hide, which were filmed first. The two Victorian era episodes were shot next [different costume of course]. Then Journey and Rings were filmed [with Bells of Saint John in between] and the coat has new buttons in both of those. Maybe there was some damage after the earlier recording block, or someone decided they didn't like the silky buttons? Or maybe it is actually a different coat of the same fabric?

Reading the Neckties thread and I saw some reference on the waistcoat pattern might be wanted, this may be the closest shot I've seen -

JOURNEY Smith waistcoat.jpg

For people looking for the Velvet waistcoat, there's a ebay seller who has quite a close option, you just need to ask for them to make it with a straight button, they seem to have been accommodating to other members who asked for it.

For people looking for the Velvet waistcoat, there's a ebay seller who has quite a close option, you just need to ask for them to make it with a straight button, they seem to have been accommodating to other members who asked for it.

Yeah that was me lol. I found it and got the first one made..

- - - Updated - - -

S0341052.JPG

Here it is. Looking at it now it seems similar but the pattern looks more pronounced in a diamond shape. What you think?

I'd call it scales, there's no other name for it. A waffle pattern fabric is sort of in the ballpark but really those are scales.

Also, does anyone know if the velvet waistcoat is a full waistcoat?
I'm fairly sure the 50th one isn't, and it just has no belt, but if anyone can disprove that, it'd be appreciated

I'd call it scales, there's no other name for it. A waffle pattern fabric is sort of in the ballpark but really those are scales.

Also, does anyone know if the velvet waistcoat is a full waistcoat?
I'm fairly sure the 50th one isn't, and it just has no belt, but if anyone can disprove that, it'd be appreciated

The velvet is front facing only..

I think I'll send that email, but I'm going to specify which vest I want. The 50th one is pretty boring IMO.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back