1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

The link that Seknewb posted (www.shapeways.com/shops/primitive_dave) will get you Dave's shop. You can click on each item and scroll down to the bottom of that page for the Download Product link. If it says it is downloading a *.zip.zip file, cancel the download, it's an invalid file. The others (I think there's one *.obj.zip and a bunch of *.stl.zip) are valid.

James

Thanks! I'll be downloading both te 700 and 350 part tonight... between the 2 I hope I have a complete cygnus I'm really excited to get to this now... I'm seriously considering an 3D printer upgrade :)... basically buying the printer instead of the parts form shapeways :)

Jedi Dade

You're not going to get all the pieces. There's mostly the 1/700 pieces from Dave, but as I said in an earlier thread, there's several pieces that are corrupt files. There's also no transparent pieces (the 3 domes and the container that the lights go in. I think 32buds posted a link earlier about having those cut. I have also downloaded those files, but haven't made it much farther than that, other than downloading a lot of the images from the ByYourCommand.net gallery of screen captures (Screencaps - ByYourCommand.net Gallery). 32buds also was able to get the missing antennas done by commissioning someone to do them for him, I think.

Been scheming in my head how this could be done with smaller pieces with plastic pins and slots to keep the pieces aligned instead of huge pieces. I also read that, even though this is made out of plastic, it's heavy. Was thinking about an aluminum frame that all the pieces would screw to to keep everything in place. Even thought about color changing LED lights for the interior so you could have it lit up yellowish for normal, but could switch it to red like it looks when entering the black hole. Hell, if you're a big Prince fan, you could light the whole interior purple!!! LOL Again, haven't made it much further than scheming....LOL

Good luck, and please post your progress. I'd like to keep up on how you're doing.

James

There were plans out there for an acrylic frame that all of the pieces attach to. That is what I used to have them cut for me. Not sure if they are still linked in the earlier pages of this thread... I "might" still have them on my home PC... for lighting it up I was thinking of using parchment paper on the inside of the acrylic and warm white LEDs... to give it that weird yellowish glow it has, but I have not experimented on it to see how it would look - since I stopped after getting the frame cut... but that was my plan at the time.

Jedi Dade

I have to admit, I quickly scanned though *most* of the pages of this thread, so this might have been answered at some point, but I wasn't sure how people were making the outside of that "glass" look similar in coloring to the grid (girder?) part of the ship. Again, please keep us posted on your progress.

James

I have to admit, I quickly scanned though *most* of the pages of this thread, so this might have been answered at some point, but I wasn't sure how people were making the outside of that "glass" look similar in coloring to the grid (girder?) part of the ship. Again, please keep us posted on your progress.

James

They should still be in thread somewhere. Let me know if not, I have them and can search for them in my files.

There were plans out there for an acrylic frame that all of the pieces attach to. That is what I used to have them cut for me. Not sure if they are still linked in the earlier pages of this thread... I "might" still have them on my home PC... for lighting it up I was thinking of using parchment paper on the inside of the acrylic and warm white LEDs... to give it that weird yellowish glow it has, but I have not experimented on it to see how it would look - since I stopped after getting the frame cut... but that was my plan at the time.

Jedi Dade

Armature plans start on pg.19 of the thread and continue thru pg 22.

There was also a print of the lighted wall section that may be useful on pg39.

You da man!

I took these to a local acrylic supplier and had them laser cut... I don't remember if I had to mess with the PDF files first - I don't think so. It cost me a few bucks but made it pretty darn easy... But I also haven't used them yet to see if they had any issues... Good luck.

Jedi Dade

What printer did you buy? Resin or PLA?
I have a mars elegoo that I will use to print everything it can - its got a pretty small print volume... but I purchased a tronxy 5SA pro that has a print volume of 330mm x 330mm x 400mm which is JUST big enough to print the spine part at 39.5cm

Jedi Dade

Well I spent several hours Yesterday assembling my new large volume printer.... then realized the time and that I had to work today... so its about 3/4 constructed... But the first steps are underway...

Jedi Dade

Finished assembly and played with figuring out how to level the bed. while the machine states it has auto bed leveling - I beg to differ :eek:. I am working overtime the next few days so I probably wont get to it until Friday - but next up is a test print from the files provided with the printer... then figure out how slicing and supports work... then print something small just to get the feel of it. I think I will try a bunch of different settings on something small to try and dial in the printer to the bet print results before trying anything I actually want to keep :).

Jedi Dade

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back