1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Don't want to get into trouble for ressurecting an old thread but this is a ship I've been struggling to find ways to scratch build for years and I've only just found all of this, which is the answer to my prayers.
I'm looking at beginning to get parts slowly from the beginning of next year but am in a position to crack on with the armature. My plan is to get that all completed first and suss out the lighting so I can get parts as I can afford them
My question is - does anyone still have Marc's plans for the bow armature? I've got the PDFs for the central column and stern, and can't afford at the moment to get all the bow components to measure and build one
My advice is to build the centre and rear armatures. Leave the bow until you have all the parts. You need to have the centre section assembled first, before attaching the bow and the forward fuel tank printed part is designed to slide over the central armature. If you attach your bow armature, you will not be able to fit the tanks. Leave this off, but construct it, so it can be secured with screws.

My advice is to build the centre and rear armatures. Leave the bow until you have all the parts. You need to have the centre section assembled first, before attaching the bow and the forward fuel tank printed part is designed to slide over the central armature. If you attach your bow armature, you will not be able to fit the tanks. Leave this off, but construct it, so it can be secured with screws.

I never would have thought of that! Thank you for that very wise advice. Can't wait to get working on this. Bar the Eagle from Space:1999 and Red Dwarf's Starbug, this is for me the most beautiful space ship ever designed

Been hunting through old files and found the cutting image for MY bow armature. You'd need to measure it against the interior of the bow sections, when you get them, but this worke for me. Just assemble like a box,leaving the top off until your wiring is sorted, then screw to the rest of the central armature.

Attachments

• uss - 4.jpg
    uss - 4.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 233
Been hunting through old files and found the cutting image for MY bow armature. You'd need to measure it against the interior of the bow sections, when you get them, but this worke for me. Just assemble like a box,leaving the top off until your wiring is sorted, then screw to the rest of the central armature.
That's fantastic. Thank you so much for your kindness. I'm thinking of beginning with collecting the bow parts first after your previous advice and gleaning the measurements from there to complete the armature. Then start from the back and work forwards

Hello!

Im beginning to buy the parts available of this magnificent and unique model, the USS Cygnus in 1/700 scale. I looked for a high detail model for years. My respect and admiration to all of the modelers that finished this project. Im aware that the 3d parts in shapeways aren't complete. I read this forum about the subject. I need help and advice of were to find the missing parts. Right now I ordered my first step in shapeways: the Center Bow Foward.... Well, I need to find the CLEAR PARTS, THE WINDOWS, AND DOMES FOR THE COMMAND TOWER AND OBSERVATORY UPPER AND DOWN. They aren't available in that site and many said that are the most difficult to get.. Where can I find them? Who make them? I appreciate all the help. Many thanks to all of you!

Thank you 32buds for your reply. I will write you again with the info that you ask, I dont understand why this forum do not allow me to reply conversations. I hope they fix this as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any contact info for Kremmen, other than the Shapeways account? I'd be willing to pay to get the 3D models so I can print this incredible ship myself instead of paying a couple grand for the pieces.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any contact info for Kremmen, other than the Shapeways account? I'd be willing to pay to get the 3D models so I can print this incredible ship myself instead of paying a couple grand for the pieces.

Thanks!

I spoke to him about 2 years ago. Said the project wasn’t dead, but didn’t have time for it due to a house rebuild and work. I’ve reached out since with no answer, so no idea... don’t have the direct contact though, but please post here if you do get any further info... I’ve also inquired about purchasing certain files. I have most of the parts for the 1/350 from before Shapeways doubled and tripled their prices a couple years back. Only missing a few fuselage pieces which I had figured I’d cut, paste, and scratch from the ones that are still available, but with their price increase, it’s been tough to justify the expense.

The alternative for you might be to get Primitive Dave’s files from Shapeways (they’re on the respective part pages) and upscale them to the size you’re wanting

Last edited:
I spoke to him about 2 years ago. Said the project wasn’t dead, but didn’t have time for it due to a house rebuild and work. I’ve reached out since with no answer, so no idea... don’t have the direct contact though, but please post here if you do get any further info... I’ve also inquired about purchasing certain files. I have most of the parts for the 1/350 from before Shapeways doubled and tripled their prices a couple years back. Only missing a few fuselage pieces which I had figured I’d cut, paste, and scratch from the ones that are still available, but with their price increase, it’s been tough to justify the expense.

The alternative for you might be to get Primitive Dave’s files from Shapeways (they’re on the respective part pages) and upscale them to the size you’re wanting

I was trying to find his stuff also. The only thing I can find is the stuff that Kremmen has listed as a backup for Dave. Do you have a link for the files by chance?

I just started playing with my first 3D printer and anything to do with the Black Hole movie is incredible. I'm a member of the V.I.N.Cent Builder group on Facebook and plan on printing a Vincent and Bob (once those files are ready). I saw the model of the HUGE printed Cygnus and wanted it right away!!!!

Thanks!

I would be interested in the Files as well... I have an acrylic armature for this model that I has cut a LONG time ago... But I never followed up after things started to get really slow about finishing this project... if the files become available I would very much like to get in on that.

Thank,
Jedi Dade

have the direct contact though, but please post here if you do get any further info... I’ve also inquired about purchasing certain files. I have most of the parts for the 1/350 from before Shapeways doubled and tripled their prices a couple years back. Only missing a few fuselage pieces which I had figured I’d cut, paste, and scratch from the ones that are still available, but with their price increase, it’s been tough to justify the expense.

I was trying to find his stuff also. The only thing I can find is the stuff that Kremmen has listed as a backup for Dave. Do you have a link for the files by chance?

I just started playing with my first 3D printer and anything to do with the Black Hole movie is incredible. I'm a member of the V.I.N.Cent Builder group on Facebook and plan on printing a Vincent and Bob (once those files are ready). I saw the model of the HUGE printed Cygnus and wanted it right away!!!!

Thanks!

Here’s the 1/700 parts.

www.shapeways.com/shops/primitive_dave

Awesome!!!! Thank you very much!!!!

The only issue I have is Antenna, Command Capsule Cap, Outboard Module and Outboard Module Connector files aren't valid zip files (zip of a zip, which I wouldn't think would cause an issue, but....).

I'm also not seeing any of the domes listed as parts.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, but is there anywhere else those files are available?

Thanks!

Has anyone figured out yet how to effectively unzip these files?
I didn’t have any problem aside from one or two. You can purchase those pieces from Kremman’s SW shop
From shapeways I don't think you can download the files at all - you can simply order them to be printed for the stated price.

Jedi Dade

Depends on the seller. They can choose to make the files available for download. Most of the 1/700 Cygnus files can be downloaded, but they are fairly complex pieces, and not really ideal for home printing in some cases. I’ve done some on a Form 2, and in the end, it would have been comparable to just let Shapeways do it.

but they are fairly complex pieces, and not really ideal for home printing in some cases. I’ve done some on a Form 2, and in the end, it would have been comparable to just let Shapeways do it.

I'm printing some Easter basket stuff for my granddaughter, but am going to try to print some girder stuff on my CR-10, just to see how bad it is. I looked at one of the bigger pieces in Cura, and it was ugly. I think I'd have more support than actual ship, but I still want to give it a try. The ship is just magnificent!!!!

I'm printing some Easter basket stuff for my granddaughter, but am going to try to print some girder stuff on my CR-10, just to see how bad it is. I looked at one of the bigger pieces in Cura, and it was ugly. I think I'd have more support than actual ship, but I still want to give it a try. The ship is just magnificent!!!!

Yes, printed a part on an Ultimaker 3. Came out pretty nice. Just a ton of support filament used... to the point that I might as well have had SW do it cost wise. Good luck

OK I admit to being confused... you guys were able to download the files from Shapeways? Oh wait - you need to be logged in for the download button.... got it. this might motivate me to be a larger printer :)

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

From shapeways I don't think you can download the files at all - you can simply order them to be printed for the stated price.

Jedi Dade

The files for all the Primitive Dave pieces are available for download from SW. However, there seems to be some problem with unzipping the ZIp files.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back