Who saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture in theaters?

Remember seeing it in the cinema . The most memorable parts for me ( 13 ) were seeing the remodeled Enterprise on a HUGE screen and the sublime music / score . I didn’t know much about Star Trek at the time , an occasional TOS episode on tv being my only link . I think my dad was more silently ‘ WTF ‘ about the film than myself - after all having seen repeated viewings of SW prior to this , everything space oriented sci-fi was a must see way back then.

Having seen SW a few times prior to this, everything space oriented sci-fi was a must see back then.

Everything space-oriented Sci-Fi was also a must-FAIL back then, when compared to the stellar brilliance of Star Wars and the quantum leap it had taken in special effects. It took decades for the rest of Hollywood to catch up to that new gold standard set by George and his ILM magicians on May 25, 1977.

The Wook

Everything space-oriented Sci-Fi was also a must-FAIL back then, when compared to the stellar brilliance of Star Wars and the quantum leap it had taken in special effects. It took decades for the rest of Hollywood to catch up to that new gold standard set by George and his ILM magicians on May 25, 1977.

The Wook

Mostly agree with you there in hindsight mate . However , back then ( not knowing any better ) and ignorance being bliss and all ... I’d consume anything that would offer me an escape from the ‘ real world ‘ . I was / am still to a certain extent , a big believer in daydreaming , and nothing like sci-fi and fantasy ; films / books / novels etc .. fed that need .

Just a quick aside - careful there ... you sounded just like the officer Vader was teaching a lesson to ( by suffocating ) , when comparing the brilliance of Star Wars to others ... and the officer comparing the brilliance of the Death Star to the power of the Force !! :lol

:cheersGed

Yup,

Saw it at the Eglington Toll Odeon cinema in Glasgow 1979.....

I loved the film, LOVED it...so much so that when i got home i made a "bridge" out of dining chairs and teddy bears etc. !

My single, strongest memory is just how bleedin' cold it was in that cinema in the winter watching ST:TMP...coats and gloves remained ON!

Rich

Mostly agree with you there in hindsight mate . However , back then ( not knowing any better ) and ignorance being bliss and all ... I’d consume anything that would offer me an escape from the ‘ real world ‘ . I was / am still to a certain extent , a big believer in daydreaming , and nothing like sci-fi and fantasy ; films / books / novels etc .. fed that need .

Fair enough. I was not as much of a daydreamer, and didn't share your need to escape the real world. I was too preoccupied with playing sports and bird-doggin' chicks. So all of the outer-space/alien-world escapism movies that followed Star Wars were just woefully inadequate to receive my extended attention.

The Wook

Last edited:
I was 11 years old and do recall thinking the movie was dull compared to the tv show. In overall tone and style, they were completely different beasts. But it was still cool to see the cast together again and I loved the Enterprise design.

Besides the model kit with lights that some others have mentioned, my prized possession was this amazing cut-away poster (anybody else have it?). It blew my kid mind to see what all the rooms, corridors, etc. might actually look like inside the hull. This small image doesn't do it justice (click to activate embiggin-o-vision):

enterprise-cut-away-sml.jpg

Last edited:
Its always sad to think about very older but I had the experience of see so many things when they were released, Star Trek and TV and Motion Picture, Star Wars 1,2,3,4,5,6, ,Jaws, Green Hornet with Bruce Lee, Batman the series and all movies,Conan movies,Alien movies etc.....I'm a movie buff so I go to all the movie premiers....Enjoyed them all with an open mind......

I was 11 years old and do recall thinking the movie was dull compared to the tv show. In overall tone and style, they were completely different beasts. But it was still cool to see the cast together again and I loved the Enterprise design.

Besides the model kit with lights that some others have mentioned, my prized possession was this amazing cut-away poster (anybody else have it?). It blew my kid mind to see what all the rooms, corridors, etc. might actually look like inside the hull. This small image doesn't do it justice (click to activate embiggin-a-vision):

View attachment 789562
I had that poster on my wall, too!

I was a little kid and enjoyed it. However, I thought that it was weird in some places and the hairless woman freaked me out.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back