Who saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture in theaters?

joeranger

Sr Member
I was 12 but I don't really remember it unlike Star Wars two years earlier.

For ST2 WoK, We had a party. Son of Svengoolie had a countdown where they played the ST Space Seed episode. All my friends and I felt like we were special because we knew who Khan was. We felt like we were the only ones in the theater who really "understood" the movie.

I have read a bunch of stuff on Star Trek history and seen all the documentaries, but who remembers being there?

I was 12 but I don't really remember it unlike Star Wars two years earlier.

For ST2 WoK, We had a party. Son of Svengoolie had a countdown where they played the ST Space Seed episode. All my friends and I felt like we were special because we knew who Khan was. We felt like we were the only ones in the theater who really "understood" the movie.

I have read a bunch of stuff on Star Trek history and seen all the documentaries, but who remembers being there?

I Did.

I was 3.5 years old and I still remember falling asleep. Then waking up later, only to fall asleep again

I think "Taking my son to the movies" was my dad's way of getting out of the house to see things he wants to see.

Seriously. Who thinks an 8 year old wants to see "2010"?

Last edited:
I was there (11 years old.)

In fact, as run-up promotion to the film, the studio held local "design an alien" contests in November 1979 in various cities, including my hometown of Jacksonville Florida; I entered and got some sort of honorable mention or similar. The big thing was that the "awards ceremony" was held on a Saturday at a local mall; they held a "fashion show" of sorts where actors modeled various screen-used costumes from the upcoming film (I recall it was the first time I saw the new white "engineering suit"). After the "ceremony", I remember my father and I going to the bookstore in the mall, where I picked up both the ST:TMP novelization (out several weeks in advance of the movie, whether that was planned or not) and a copy of the "new SW book" Han Solo at Stars End. So I thoroughly spoiled ST:TMP for myself before the film came out (as well as getting quite the sex education from all of Gene Roddenberry's references to "love instructors" and similar in the novel.)

M

Bryan, I am right there with you! My Dad took me to see it in the theatre right before he shipped out to Germany. Then he shipped me that toy for Christmas! I loved that toy! I was the only kid on the block who had it!

Oh...Would I love to have one of those again!

I didn't get to see it in the theater - Mom wouldn't let me because it had a naked bald sexy woman in it :(

But I did get a polyester uniform shirt that I wore to school (and everywhere) unashamedly.
It was this one, but without the epaulets and belt buckle (and sized for a seven-year-old, of course) :

Starfleet_short_sleeved_uniform_mid_2270s.jpg

Man, I wish I still had that thing. It wouldn't fit me anymore, but, man, was it cool :cool

I did see TWOK in the theater.

I Did.

I was 3.5 years old and I still remember falling asleep. Then waking up later, only to fall asleep again

I think "Taking my son to the movies" was my dad's way of getting out of the house to see things he wants to see.

Seriously. Who thinks an 8 year old wants to see "2010"?

I was 14 and also feel asleep, even the onset of puberty couldnt keep me awake. My god the long drawn out scenes were terrible. What was Robert Wise thinking?

As time went on I learned to appreciate it more but if one film deserves a re cut, its ST TMP. Take out 20 mins and it has a whole new life.

I was 14 and also feel asleep, even the onset of puberty couldnt keep me awake. My god the long drawn out scenes were terrible. What was Robert Wise thinking?

As time went on I learned to appreciate it more but if one film deserves a re cut, its ST TMP. Take out 20 mins and it has a whole new life.
I love it now. In all honesty, part 1 and 2 are the only ones I really like

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Me! At 9 years old, I confess I found it a bit underwhelming; especially after coming off of Star Wars. I very much enjoy it now, although I don't really find the ending to be as profound as I am probably supposed to. The Enterprise refit reveal gives me chills every time I see it; I think it's the most beautiful ship in sci-fi history, and that's coming from a certified Star Wars tech geek.

I saw it in the theater as well.

The Klingon sequence, including the music, awesome. The drydock sequence same. The rest, meh.

Director's cut is pretty good. If you have never seen it, please do. The movie was rushed to meet it's release date and never received a proper edit after the effects were finished (save the Director's cut DVD). If you don't remember, Trumball and Dykstra had to pick up the pieces after Robert Abel and Assoc. couldn't get the job done (I'm sure someone here will tell me I'm wrong, but that was the official story).

I saw it in the theater as well.

The Klingon sequence, including the music, awesome. The drydock sequence same. The rest, meh.

Director's cut is pretty good. If you have never seen it, please do. The movie was rushed to meet it's release date and never received a proper edit after the effects were finished (save the Director's cut DVD). If you don't remember, Trumball and Dykstra had to pick up the pieces after Robert Abel and Assoc. couldn't get the job done (I'm sure someone here will tell me I'm wrong, but that was the official story).

Will check it out.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back