Back In Theaters: Star Wars OT & PT

You said it. Extremely limited. So instead of spreading them out over the course of the month with multiple screenings, they're giving fans only two days to watch 6 movies (5 if you watch Phantom Menace beforehand).

I'd like to take my nephew, but I couldn't sit for six hours straight to watch three movies in a day!

I've watched back to back to back movies in the theater. Frankly, it's not a pleasant experience. Those chairs aren't made for long haul viewing and you'll get burned out mentally anyway. That's of course assuming you can dedicate that much time in one day to being at the theater which most people can't.

This is such a boneheaded move.

You said it. Extremely limited. So instead of spreading them out over the course of the month with multiple screenings, they're giving fans only two days to watch 6 movies (5 if you watch Phantom Menace beforehand).

I've watched back to back to back movies in the theater. Frankly, it's not a pleasant experience. Those chairs aren't made for long haul viewing and you'll get burned out mentally anyway. That's of course assuming you can dedicate that much time in one day to being at the theater which most people can't.

This is such a boneheaded move.
I think I could do six hours at Disney Springs. They offer recliners and food service. :0)

IMG_8624.jpeg
IMG_8625.jpeg

It's absolutely going to sabotage the sales.

The internet will have a nice big heated debate about whether it was intentional or not.

While I appreciate things like Fathom Events’ screenings of classic films, the one-day (or two, or three, on occasion) release model is rather annoying. People should be given TIME to go see the films, as opposed to having to be available for one or two showtimes on one specific day.

The 1997 STAR WARS Special Edition model actually made sense. They re-released the films a few weeks apart, and the films were in theaters for several months. That gave people plenty of opportunity to see them, and one could even buy tickets and watch all three in a row, if they so chose (and some did). And the SEs beat out brand-new films at the box office. They were a staggering success.

Jamming each full trilogy into two consecutive days is pure idiocy. Typical of Disney-LFL.

I can pretty much guarantee that a whole lot of people who would otherwise love to go (and take their families along) will instead elect to just stay home and watch the films at a more leisurely pace on streaming/home media, instead.

Setting aside the slow and needless death of theatrical cinema, something like this should have been an EVENT, akin to the 1997 re-release.

(As an aside, I’ve occasionally wondered how things would have gone if, instead of making and releasing the Special Editions in 1997, as a warm-up for the prequels, Lucas had waited until maybe six months or so after EPISODE III and then released the Special Editions, or perhaps even re-released all six films in chronological order. Of course, part of the reasoning behind the SEs was to help revive interest in the franchise prior to TPM, and they most certainly succeeded.)

Last edited:
Yeah... it revived the interest... by showing altered versions of superior movies... and then people saw the PT. So it could have been extra damaging when people realized they were not up to par with what had come before.

I think I could do six hours at Disney Springs. They offer recliners and food service. :0)

View attachment 1799715View attachment 1799716

Now you're talkin'.

While I appreciate things like Fathom Events’ screenings of classic films, the one-day (or two, or three, on occasion) release model is rather annoying. People should be given TIME to go see the films, as opposed to having to be available for one or two showtimes on one specific day.

The 1997 STAR WARS Special Edition model actually made sense. They re-released the films a few weeks apart, and the films were in theaters for several months. That gave people plenty of opportunity to see them, and one could even buy tickets and watch all three in a row, if they so chose (and some did). And the SEs beat out brand-new films at the box office. They were a staggering success.

Jamming each full trilogy into two consecutive days is pure idiocy. Typical of Disney-LFL.

I can pretty much guarantee that a whole lot of people who would otherwise love to go (and take their families along) will instead elect to just stay home and watch the films at a more leisurely pace on streaming/home media, instead.

Setting aside the slow and needless death of theatrical cinema, something like this should have been an EVENT, akin to the 1997 re-release.

(As an aside, I’ve occasionally wondered how things would have gone if, instead of making and releasing the Special Editions in 1997, as a warm-up for the prequels, Lucas had waited until maybe six months or so after EPISODE III and then released the Special Editions, or perhaps even re-released all six films in chronological order. Of course, part of the reasoning behind the SEs was to help revive interest in the franchise prior to TPM, and they most certainly succeeded.)

Yeah, that's my only 'issue' with Fathom. I wish the rereleases were a week long at least. I understand theaters can only dedicate so many screens to older movies when they have new releases they're obligated to show. I go to almost all the classic movie re-screenings and it's not always easy to find time for them or sometimes it's simply that I'm not in the mood to leave the house that particular night, but I do because I don't want to miss them. To be fair though some movies don't really warrant multiple nights, but Star Wars is obviously one that does.

A few years ago, Regal was showing all the Universal classic monster movies. Back-to-back matinees on Saturdays for the month of October. I managed to catch Dracula and Frankenstein but that was it. I really wanted to watch the rest but it conflicted with my schedule. If only it was a yearly event or at least had evening showtimes it would have been manageable.

Just out of curiosity, I'll sometimes check seating on newer movies (even ones I'm not interested in) just to see how well they're selling. Most weeknights, you'll see a couple of empty auditoriums. I always think it'd be nice if they could show classic movies instead of them sitting empty.

Last edited:
The only movie I've ever sat and watched back-to-back in a theater was actually Star Wars when it came out in '77. Back then you could do that. No one came in and made you leave. But, even for the life-altering spectacle that was that movie back then, it was taxing. Even on my only twelve year old body.

they aren't doing this event in colorado that i can find.. i remember seeing the three OT movies back to back on 2 nights when the brand new THX theaters opened in KC back in the early 90s. They had all 3 for $15 and you picked the nights you saw them. They had free raffles for SWag. They had a costume parade. It was an awesome time.

Marvel did an all day 6 movie special event marathon when one of the early MCU films came out...i forget which one.. that was a long day of watching a lot of movies, but well worth it.. they even let you get free refills on drinks and popcorn all day, and many ordered food delivered to the theaters instead of getting theater food. 6 of us went and it was a great day.

these events can work, but they have to be organized well. I think the demand is still there for the films.. i would even love to see a dual Rogue One and Episode 4 back to back showing. We have done that at home before. Granted there are a lot of drawbacks to movie events these days, but i think they could still make it worth the time if done right.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back