Return of the Jedi - Back in Theaters

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A theatrical re-release of ROTJ has been announced:

Before you get too excited, no it’s not the original version. But, if you haven’t seen “Jedi Rocks” or the “Little Shop of Horrors Sarlacc” on the big screen, now is your chance. :)

CD3CB269-1155-4927-9873-4670E1628CA2.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess it depends what kind of home theater set up you have at home. But there is really no match for the sound and visual experience in the theater. Of course, in the theater you have to deal with people yapping, kicking your seat, getting up to go to the bathroom, etc.

TazMan2000

Can't say I like that poster at all.

I wonder why it wasn't scheduled for May 25th.

It would've been nice to have gotten Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back on their anniversaries as well. I don't know why they weren't also re-released. Warner Bros. just pulled the same bologna with Lord of the Rings by only re-releasing Return of the King but not Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers. I don't get it.
I guess it depends what kind of home theater set up you have at home. But there is really no match for the sound and visual experience in the theater. Of course, in the theater you have to deal with people yapping, kicking your seat, getting up to go to the bathroom, etc.

TazMan2000
Wait a few days for the theaters to thin out and then go. Just avoid spoilers in the meantime :lol:.

Special Edition or not I wanna try to catch this while it's in theaters. It's the only Star Wars content I care about and the only thing Lucasfilm is involved in that's worth my time.

Watching Luke Skywalker triumph over evil on a gigantic screen sounds like just the kind of escape I could use!

Did it? I don't remember at all. Was it a limited re-release? I feel like I would've remembered it.
Yes Empire did have a 40th anniversary re release. I checked my FB and The fam and I saw it on October 1, 2020.

Anyone know if the theaters are getting proper digital "prints", or is it one of those Fathom-style streaming things?

I have NEVER seen any of the original trilogy Star Wars in the theater! I hope they will release it in France!

I hope you get the chance to see the trilogy in the theater one day. I've only seen them in theaters in 1997 for the original SE release, though my cousin told me we saw Jedi in 83 for its original release. I was only two so I have no memory of it. For the SE release in 97 I saw Star Wars twice, Empire twice, and Jedi only once. I never got to the theater a second time for Jedi.

It was the only time I'd ever seen them in theaters as I wasn't born until 81. Even knowing them by heart, seeing them that large was an experience I'll never forget.

I really hope I can catch this in theaters one more time!

Yes Empire did have a 40th anniversary re release. I checked my FB and The fam and I saw it on October 1, 2020.
I just remembered why I didn't catch it. California still had theaters forced to be closed at that time :mad:. Also, I'd rather not give Disney money.
Yep. It was awesome. First time I got to watch ESB in theaters.
Sweet! It's a whole different experience isn't it?
I hope you get the chance to see the trilogy in the theater one day. I've only seen them in theaters in 1997 for the original SE release, though my cousin told me we saw Jedi in 83 for its original release. I was only two so I have no memory of it. For the SE release in 97 I saw Star Wars twice, Empire twice, and Jedi only once. I never got to the theater a second time for Jedi.

It was the only time I'd ever seen them in theaters as I wasn't born until 81. Even knowing them by heart, seeing them that large was an experience I'll never forget.

I really hope I can catch this in theaters one more time!
Same. That was the one and only time I've seen them in theaters. I caught them all at the Grauman's Chinese :).
I'd rather rent a cinema hall for a private screening and play Harmy's Despecialized Edition of ROTJ, coz it's just not the same without Lapti Nek and Yub Nub.
One day I'm going to do exactly this but with 4K77, 80, and 83.

Last edited:
I just remembered why I didn't catch it. Commiefornia still had theaters forced to be closed at that time :mad:.

Sweet! It's a whole different experience isn't it?

Same. That was the one and only time I've seen them in theaters. I caught them all at the Grauman's Chinese :).

One day I'm going to do exactly this but with 4K77, 80, and 83.
I will go see ROTJ with the fam on a matter of principle.
However we got burned recently by the crap steaming feed of fathoms The Thing anniversary release.
Upgraded to a home theater recently and watching 4k77 at home is far better than the roll of the dice theater content/ experience.

Now we do have an excellent dual 4K lazer projection Imax setup in town with a HUGE 66 feet tall by 90 feet wide screen. Will definitely see Guardians 3 there.

Only time I saw the OT in on a massive screen was in SWC Orlando right before the Disney buyout. They were the 'final' revised versions with Ben scaring the Tuskens sounding just like a scream, Ewoks with blinking, and Vader saying "No!" at the end of RotJ. Despite the changes, those were some really great experiences.

If it screens here, I might just have to go see this.

Something that bugs me in the "final" revision of Return of the Jedi is that they enlarged the door to Jabba's palace, so it is now two-three times as large on the outside than the chamber inside.

I just remembered why I didn't catch it. ************ still had theaters forced to be closed at that time :mad:.
Tread lightly.... a statement like that is dancing on the line of crossing into politics and could start arguments, thus getting the thread locked or getting people infractions, or worse, banned.

Last edited:
Yeah. They shouldn't call it a 40th year anniversary, when they are not even showing the actual film, but just the 1997+ special edition. How lame. I like George Lucas movies more than I like Ridley Scott's (with the exception of Alien), but at least Scott allows people to watch all his alternate versions of his movies.

I bought the 2006 DVD editions with the GOUT versions. That's the last time I bought the original trilogy on any format. I refuse to throw money at inferior versions, when the original versions are still not properly restored and included.

Yes! Seeing 4K77, 4K80, and 4K83 on the big screen would be incredible!
Agreed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back