Who saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture in theaters?

...Was there an underlying reason that Kirk was such a dick to Decker at first? I always assumed this had more to do with Kirk's insecurity about his own (rusty) abilities than anything to do with Decker personally. Any truth to that?...
My interpretation was/is that Kirk was unhappy being an Admiral and stuck at Starfleet. He finally gets his command of Enterprise back, but it already has a Captain--Decker. So he sees Decker as an obstacle and a threat to the possibility that he'll be able to retain his command of Enterprise once the mission is complete; the fact that Decker is clearly more "up to speed" than Kirk is just an irritating reminder that he's been out of the game for a while. So I don't think he had anything against Decker specifically; he would probably have treated anyone in Decker's position the same way.

Last edited:
My parents took me to see Star Trek The Motion Picture when I was 7 years old and it definitely left something of an impression on me. I think people now watching it for the first time cannot really comprehend the visual power this movie has on the big screen. The Enterprise refit reveal sequence was truly jaw dropping to behold and still stands up to scrutiny today. It can go toe to toe with the Star Destroyer entrance in New Hope any day of the week. In fact the special effects throughout the movie (save for the wormhole asteroid sequence perhaps) were astonishing for the time. As a child the movie naturally confused me but in time - and as an adult - subsequent viewings have given the story a proper lease of life. I'm not the biggest ST fan but I think you can see that I hold this film in higher regard than most. It's quite fashionable nowadays to say that TWOK is the better movie. And it probably is. TMP is not a perfect movie but it's also not the hot mess most people liie to say it is. In fact I would say that it remains closer to the original ideals of Roddenberry than any of its sequels.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

I saw there was at least one other person on this thread of my generation. I have had the opportunity to see each of the Star Trek and Star Wars movies (and so many other science fiction greats) on opening day through the years. But I also got to see TOS on TV when I had to wait at least seven days to see the next episode.

I saw there was at least one other person on this thread of my generation. I have had the opportunity to see each of the Star Trek and Star Wars movies (and so many other science fiction greats) on opening day through the years. But I also got to see TOS on TV when I had to wait at least seven days to see the next episode.
Guilty as charged. I've been watching Star Trek since the first episode aired in September of 1966, and have seen all of the Star Wars movies (except for The Phantom Menace, because everyone I know told me not to bother) in a theater on opening day, opening weekend, or within the first week. Also, I've never understood anyone who thinks you have to choose one franchise or the other. I like both, so I watch both.

I was 21 when I saw STTMP on the first day. I got off from work at noon, and drove straight to the theater. My favorite scene still is the Enterprise in Space dock tour by Scotty for Kirk. I saw the movie 3 times in the theater, and still got a gold colored pin of the patch worn by the crew, that I bought in the Lobby.

i did, last week on mystery movie tuesday. local theatre till does that here. pay 5 bucks for a ticket and a bucket of popcorn and watch a movie. sometimes old movie sometimes new release. was fun seeing ST again :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back