SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion - COMPLETED!!!

Re: SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion

Did a bunch of weathering on the bottom and got a first pass on streaks and rust down! She's looking pretty good I think!!
46Iyt7Ssm_vxPUVhHmRleaop0KgYmUWTodBv0=w840-h473-no.jpg

kGxd7wmEj2Saks5gZpe_sR0J36VzpGn-UPBqY=w840-h473-no.jpg

St4Mrssm5F-rn2LUh3HSkZRRCMdZHx-qjUwHg=w840-h473-no.jpg

sgqxO7S4xN_4tBWjZJu99JVy2mLmx8-gCmF4=w840-h1494-no.jpg

V-_Uzpi6CEJdutMn5G7N5mNW2TUB6VMgjgvwg=w840-h473-no.jpg

d4SJbggycT_J8pProBxyBgEPcUj5v8-aqJZnc=w840-h473-no.jpg

YpwDNmm6RYChhPjbcDSOACgOhTk_38W9hl5yM=w840-h473-no.jpg

nZzlJcgPHd9ZtEiK2zbhvoP8LaEY97FF5gVlo=w840-h473-no.jpg

Last edited:

Very clean build. A please to look at. Great job!

Thanks! I feel like it's overall not yellow enough...when I compare it to pics of the studio model and others builds I get that feeling. I can't tell if that is because most pics are taken under incandescent or fluorescent lights? And I am under white 5000k lights? Or if it's actually too white?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

So last weekend I ran into a problem...I was painting my falcon with turps and oils and it was looking great. I let it dry for about a day and a half and then I did a sealer coat with Testors dull coat. And I got this problem.

Here it is before the clear coat.
dlAA0ID_hmjn22OCAPXVLjJQ_iFrnqScIb2pk=w840-h473-no.jpg

Here it is after. See the splotches on the streaks?
ht8FEezhS9D-lu_Q9UQ7XcBiQDLJiwoCcSeew=w840-h473-no.jpg

I talked to some guys on the Painting the Falcon facebook page and they think it's one of 2 things...or a combination of both. Either I painted the clear coat too quickly and the oils weren't dry enough. Or I painted the clear coat too thick and heavy and it "orange peeled" and the pigments accumulated in the bulges. Either way fair warning to anyone using oils with a clear coat after. Make sure it's plenty dry before doing it. And put clear coats on slowly with very thin layers. At least that what I am going to try next time. Which should be soon. I will report on how this goes.

Last edited:

ugh...so painful man...thanks for sharing all of these hard learned lessons with us that will be following in ur footsteps.

Update time!! Here she is! Half done!

I have finished painting the bottom half of my Falcon! All details are done including hash marks. Only thing left to do is to apply a clear coat in a few weeks to seal her up.

Let me know what you think! First pic is a top down. After that are some more dramatically lit beauty shots.
xXGhmzy7Dqh3TYmcbRPYNZ7BorBFzviDqQvM=w840-h1494-no.jpg

tERF3553YxODeSAZqxhyDYN9ZNEIXG7Se3fpE=w840-h473-no.jpg

mzloeIbE3bxbdY8a6pSlO8X42twlPMperpZqA=w840-h473-no.jpg

B47LGvZP8ygB4zH4RUDZXIcmnOewmks1UJMZE=w840-h473-no.jpg

8fyjjbmzV-4mXpi0-RpKzMvQ5GekAxEZfJqmY=w840-h473-no.jpg

VVUU9irtEjZI9i8qG62Rl9jeDSoSgnv6U0EDM=w840-h473-no.jpg

Only thing left I am contemplating is darkening some of the damage spots. Specifically the one on screen right in the first image.

Please let me know what you think! I wanna know if I missed anything or messed up anything. Or if I can do better. Remember, this one is practice for when I do my Deago Falcon build down the road.

Last edited:

wow...i'm not qualified at this point to say if you missed anything or whatever but I do think your model is going to look amazing when its assembled. what are you going to do about the screw holes later on?

Den

I am not sure what I am going to do about the holes. I don't wanna completely seal them as if something does wrong with the lights I wanna be able to repair. So I am thinking about making some plugs to go into the holes and just painting them after the fact. Need to figure out how to do that and be able to remove them without damaging them. Maybe magnets? Not sure yet. Gotta test some stuff.

Thanks for the kind words!!

wow...i'm not qualified at this point to say if you missed anything or whatever but I do think your model is going to look amazing when its assembled. what are you going to do about the screw holes later on?

Den

Looks great !

Such a huge transformation from the original toy to a beautiful MF Star Wars display !

I bet you're seeing each detailed section of this ship in your sleep though...lol :wacko

So I have moved on to weathering the top. Wanted to get this warning out there again because it's very important. When doing the first step with turps and oils don't go too heavy on the amount of oils you use and you can't go too heavy with the turps! You can always add another thin layer to make it darker but if you do too much there's no taking it off. My top is a little heavier than I wanted. I thought I was using the same amount of oil as I did on the bottom but it looks a smidge darker than I wanted. It will still look good in the end but just be careful!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Just wanted to post another update! Getting really close to being done with her!!

I have finished first pass weathering on the upper body.

Before starting weathering.
Z0w9ngzbOWM0ksUAJN1XLSRcHdoauqJonrDg=w840-h1494-no.jpg

Here is an example of going a little overboard on the oils on that first pass like I mentioned in my previous post. This again ended up slightly darker than I wanted. I would say this is probably double what I should have done.

pJ08PP4j-4gjBkCHz1Jqn4cqzFBqEpuW_FDdM=w823-h463-no.jpg

After first pass oils have been applied.
RHdgkxx7gb8opwGpF1aA10f-KXNlZGgxljbII=w840-h473-no.jpg

And here's where it is now. This is after doing first pass oils for adding grime (basically a wash layer) and then another pass of oils to add the subtle streaking and then I let it dry for about a little over a week and added a dull coat.
-8YTjk3nd0sHXt5SvIsPCgnrc29eg0dMQF83g=w840-h473-no.jpg

sCbPSl5h55PhulTvc23SIXgX2tWkShzeq4WlI=w840-h473-no.jpg

m_uD8J2TJ2Wm5XjZ5bSwmC-BAtM8oNFoYeocw=w840-h473-no.jpg

f2OCx330xsliyviJ5Wjm1T8e8AhsdCvDdpl6Q=w840-h473-no.jpg

Last edited:

Also wanted to add this. I used ground up match stick heads when I was doing my initial damage of the plastics and thought the color looked cool. So I decided to try it after the final weathering had been done. Its subtle but I think it adds to it.

Here is it after weathering.
7BN6sRnmEoUuE_baORea-d-cfM7i1crIZsFuo=w840-h473-no.jpg

Then I added some ground up match stick heads.
eHN2MCD_E2jvzDuOTWbGyavfFCAlS36G76-ec=w840-h473-no.jpg

Here it is after igniting it!
Oe-WkIfCh2KziZvHqfyigU9VGnUAdeYpd5nQw=w840-h473-no.jpg

And here it is after being all done.
1Wn0Q72phJvR-oBLQZotH4fUoKqPukNcLamVg=w840-h473-no.jpg

Like I said the difference is subtle for sure. But there are some colors in there I wasn't getting from just the paint and powders.

Last edited:

So I wanted to start assembling this bad boy and so I got all set up and started digging into the lights! So here is some more progress!

The bottom half ready to go.
Gs3erlEDIZ6YH1iMVYllt2QPNbN3TIL2M97B8=w840-h473-no.jpg

Wanted to take a shot of the light wells before putting in the wells.
O3wy0UNAN11PN7k-rjm2AP8BGVqjySRc62g4Q=w840-h473-no.jpg

Added the big wells.
nap1GXjsXePH_JFso5sEok-j5_Di1xXAH7WBk=w840-h473-no.jpg

rNm8dJxe-jefWS9CxJJIbBp_jkyvguLcPaPJc=w840-h473-no.jpg

And some of the little ones.
lx7K23vi7qm97vkIfhaYGZqh2dUsm6EIdCBT0=w840-h473-no.jpg

ujnGOajLCHNLM6BVHKGH_EyxVofSyyTN0e8aM=w840-h473-no.jpg

And the engine assembly.
f85gHrLzY57F4ST1YGEzm_LrZ4qitTY6XJM10=w840-h473-no.jpg

I realized after the fact that two of the small wells go directly below my engine assembly. So I had to cut into the inside of the assembly to make room for the light. Not really a big deal. Just extra work.
ZY6crLkJv-ob9LtI0NB3ZwBLMWezro6bAgSwA=w840-h473-no.jpg

All of the light wells are in place.
jWzS7zqWJqNAeXt1kEb_vES2DS55E8pnQsjyY=w840-h473-no.jpg

w39nclyCv-mEZfjHLCL6eqzfDDr2dSHtojUg4=w840-h473-no.jpg

wLghCXZOQC5paaMu8vVBxs22oA557GuI7ypl8=w840-h473-no.jpg

Then I started adding some of the actual lights to see how it's gonna look. Also hooked up some of the fiber optics. Having some trouble here but will post that in another update.
qty-XxXsn_c9kjL2YulJ_eMCgIKfcLYnidy5U=w840-h473-no.jpg

NuG8XrlawoUuEfrkGxPhjAc7ZpY0SRH3ul83Q=w840-h473-no.jpg

And here she is!! Got the lights in and the red fibers are showing perfectly through the running light fixtures I made earlier! I LOVE how its looking!!
jdcsAjMTK4kKsH0BwmaHIVEnaRJDObYZCPA-o=w840-h473-no.jpg

AaR0vD9VJ11owosOnjg9Pc1R0ZRAKBTfyWyGk=w840-h473-no.jpg

8Nx1gcPiRkTPU_GEylV4hUJVhUa2-Wx8ghfyY=w840-h473-no.jpg

I will post some pics of the rear engines a bit later. Gotta finish hooking those up but you can see here the lights are installed and working.
gkPvA7Er1znBbz66a5PfSGETiFBDGhnyOGUWo=w840-h473-no.jpg

Last edited:

OK, one more update for tonight!

I realized when I put her up on the stand that I have never gotten to the point of making the actual cover for the base of the stand. That wooden block just isnt going to cut it!! So I have been planning to do a Death Star base for now, but I wanted to make it in a way that it was modular and removable.

So here is what I got. Its only in 3d currently. Working now on doing some test prints to see how its gonna work.

What do ya think?

Here is a 3d model of the base without the cover.
PfWMZrAIrZHn1HVTYRoES0ZyQGZUXhT_w4TGc=w840-h611-no.jpg

And here is the cover modeled over top of it!
SLmCO_a4tyXDqYUoQkXHzr5iizZpGBJG4xwU0=w840-h630-no.jpg

I think it looks pretty cool!!

Last edited:

I mentioned earlier that I was having some troubles with the fibers. I installed them initially by inserting them into the holes and then adding a drop of glue to the back to hold em in place. But what happened with a few is that the glue seems to have melted the fibers and they weakened and then they quickly broke off. I then had to drill out the holes to fix it and that was a PAIN!!!

So I am curious, what glue have you used to glue the fibers in that isn't melting the plastic? Or do you have any tricks that don't involve glue?

Man this is a fantastic thread. I've been putting off starting on my Falcon but after your thread, I have no excuse!! Very inspirational, informative, and just plain awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back