Looking for models to build - Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, props

matencio

I fabricated a 30" x 40" cutting area, custom 20 watt laser cutter and am looking for props and models to build and light up. I am particularly interested in the Stargate series, buildings from the Hobbit, Harry Potter, any props, and star ships of all kinds. They need to be plans I can use on a laser cutter for a part of the build and then I can use other materials. I have a 3D resin printer for greelies. I'm close to retiring (I teach 6th grade US History) and I want to get back to building models. Any and all help and assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks and nice to meet you,
Mike

Welcome, Mike!

Sounds like you could use some inspiration! I found mine by simply reading new posts in the RPF daily. The work that folks do here inspires me all the time! Notice this button:

1706642933766.png

After I read all the new items, I use the "Mark Forums Read" button so that I won't see them again until there's a new post. I do this multiple times a day.

1706643451910.png

My problem now is that I'm over-inspired sometimes, and have too many projects on the backburner!

For ideas, consider:
  • A "bucket list" item. Mine was a Krull Glaive. I have the parts, and I'm still too daunted to assemble it! But it got me rolling in the right direction!

• A tribute to a favorite movie. Some people do have a favorite movie, and some don't. I have a top three. So, in thinking, what would I like to look at and smile at when I think of my favorite movie?

• Something from childhood. Nostalgia can be hugely inspiring.
Sorry that I don't have any specific recommendations, but this kind of thing can be deeply personal. I recommend you read the RPF daily, and ideas will come to you.

Good luck!

Bill

Thanks Bill. I appreciate it. I'll do that. I have some basic things in mind. Tricorder (that works) and things like that from ST TOS. I wanted to build a full Harry Potter village that's lit up and I can see inside all of the shops. People moving about and the like.

Have you considered paper models to use as cut templates? You could eliminate the join tabs and trace them in whichever software you use to get them in the appropriate format and size. There are plenty of free models on the web (of varying quality and accuracy), usually in PDF or Pepakura format. Sites like Thingiverse also have SVG format files, although rarer than STL for 3D printing.

Have you considered paper models to use as cut templates? You could eliminate the join tabs and trace them in whichever software you use to get them in the appropriate format and size. There are plenty of free models on the web (of varying quality and accuracy), usually in PDF or Pepakura format. Sites like Thingiverse also have SVG format files, although rarer than STL for 3D printing.
That's an idea I didn't think of before. But how likely will there be Harry Potter buildings to use. That's the hurdle. I could try to find movie stills of the buildings and then trace those in Fusion 360. I'm just learning it so it will be challenging but I think it's possible. And I can convert pictures to SVG for Lightburn to use. Looks like my weekend will be busy. I am trying to create something that makes people move around the scene. They'll walk down sidewalks, enter stores and the like. I don't want them to look like they're gliding like a Vampire (lol) and turn corners will be changing but I think I can do it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back