I like what he did with ANH but from what I've seen of his ESB, yeah, he's just gone completely overboard. I have no desire to get his ESB version.

I'll never understand why they didn't cut to a close up of Jabba's face, his eyes turning to follow Solo, then cut back to Solo on the other side. Sure some pedantic nerd might have been all "What, did Solo STEP on Jabba's tail? Haw haw haw, snort!" But it would have been a hell of a lot better than SHOWING Solo step on Jabba's tail. What a silly moment, an insult to both characters, and a CG botch job.
They said they had a hard time figuring out how to get Han around Jabba without going through him. The time and money it must have cost to have him step on his tail.... You figured the whole thing out in a sentence.

They said they had a hard time figuring out how to get Han around Jabba without going through him. The time and money it must have cost to have him step on his tail.... You figured the whole thing out in a sentence.

NOTHING was gained by that scene but cringeworthy cg. It didn't explain Hans sitch in any way that greedo didn't. In fact it's weird to have greedo confront him at all when Jaba is there 5 minutes later.

just an excuse to throw in boba fett.

NOTHING was gained by that scene but cringeworthy cg. It didn't explain Hans sitch in any way that greedo didn't. In fact it's weird to have greedo confront him at all when Jaba is there 5 minutes later.

just an excuse to throw in boba fett.
Too bad the special editions happened before DVD really took hold as the dominant format. The Jabba scene would work so much better as a bonus deleted scene instead of actually being integrated into the film.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I've always thought that if Lucasfilm wanted to really take on the Phantom Editors all they'd have to do is bless the concept and then monetize the need ti requires. Offer up every scene, every camera shot, every element stripped back to models on a blue screen, every camera take, ever deleted scene, 3d assets, and unmixed audio files all ala carte.

Set it up an online shop, charge a dollar for a single element and let fandom make their own versions of Star Wars to fight over.

Of course it exists. There's a copy at the Library of Congress. The interpositives exist. The whole "It doesn't exist anymore" line has been debunked ages ago. This is entirely about LucasFilm apparently wanting to honor George's vision by not releasing the originals, and about otherwise not thinking it's worth paying the money to remaster the original originals (as opposed to the various DVD/Blu-Ray/SEs).

Lucas is very stubborn. IMHO he would have had to be pretty evil to destroy the work of all those people for all time.

Of course it exists. There's a copy at the Library of Congress. The interpositives exist. The whole "It doesn't exist anymore" line has been debunked ages ago. This is entirely about LucasFilm apparently wanting to honor George's vision by not releasing the originals, and about otherwise not thinking it's worth paying the money to remaster the original originals (as opposed to the various DVD/Blu-Ray/SEs).

My understanding is he never gave an unaltered copy to the Library of Congress. He offered the 97 version and they said no thanks.

I saw that video the other day and it made me wonder if George has indeed finally had a change of heart. It's more likely he was just doing a favor for some friends at the academy but then again maybe seeing Disney getting so much grief for their treatment of Star Wars, even more so than he ever got, is showing him it was never about hating the SE but preserving the legacy of the OOT. Granted a lot of fans went a little overboard on the Lucas bashing over the years.

I personally never had a problem with George regarding the SE as the definitive version, outlandish as that proposition is, so long as the OOT was readily available and honored. My criticism of George has always only been his decision to bury the OOT and claim it no longer "exists" both physically and artistically. It not only robs us of cinematic history but erases the revolutionary special effects work of the OOT crew.

I saw the SE in theaters in '97 and was happy for it never having seen Star Wars in theaters before, but I still hope for a day when I can watch the OOT on the big screen too.

Last edited:
As much as I would love for George to have changed his mind, I don't think it will ever happen during his lifetime.

A lot easier than changing his mind, after his lifetime.

Great pull quote from Lucas in the article linked above:
“People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society.” Lucas implored for the preservation of original prints of films. “In the future,” he presciently cautions, “it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be ‘replaced’ by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

I'm sure it's written into the sale with Disney that they are not allowed to release any version of the films other than his Special Editions. Not to mention there are other legal binds with 20th Century Fox holding some of the rights. I forget how that works but I know it further complicates matters.

As for the quote, while it's incredibly ironic that Lucas himself said that, his argument was actually regarding people other than the original artist altering the works in question. I think Lucas/ Disney ought to release a properly restored version to the public considering they are historically significant films and they are losing out on making an enormous amount of money.

If it ever happens, and that's a very big if, they won't release them until after Lucas passes away.

I'm sure it's written into the sale with Disney that they are not allowed to release any version of the films other than his Special Editions. Not to mention there are other legal binds with 20th Century Fox holding some of the rights. I forget how that works but I know it further complicates matters.

As for the quote, while it's incredibly ironic that Lucas himself said that, his argument was actually regarding people other than the original artist altering the works in question. I think Lucas/ Disney ought to release a properly restored version to the public considering they are historically significant films and they are losing out on making an enormous amount of money.

If it ever happens, and that's a very big if, they won't release them until after Lucas passes away.

To believe the 'original artist' argument, you have to ignore the part the article put in italics: "Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

Not to mention the FACT that Lucas wasn't he only artist that worked on Star Wars. There were 100s of them, many won one of the 7 Oscars that the film garnered. Lucas has erased much of their contribution.

I'm in agreement with you. I think Lucas is obligated to release the original versions.

I was just explaining what I think George's perspective is. I don't agree with his point of view. But I think it's important to acknowledge the reality that George has no intention of backing down on his position no matter how wrong any of us think he is.

But I think it's important to acknowledge the reality that George has no intention of backing down on his position no matter how wrong any of us think he is.

Bribery, like Jar Jar, is the key to all of this...

But he clearly doesn’t need money. We need to appeal to the deeper needs of the soul...

I’ve heard that he has a soft spot for mall food court grub....

F59BD87D-8DA0-4CBC-99CB-824DF3ED6631.jpeg

Perhaps a generous bribe of gift cards to Panda Express, Wetzel’s Pretzels, and Mrs. Fields will cause him to change his stance and release the original versions of the OT?

Or, perhaps if we offered to bring him 100 pounds of bootleg “Holiday Special” DVDs, to smash with a hammer, in exchange?

579ABC4A-09C6-4ABB-BDDD-377BA6147FF2.jpeg

And he loves his prequels...

What if we promised never to make another “prequel-rant video” online?

What if we promised that we would purchase one prequel movie for every unaltered OT disc that is purchased? For example, in order to purchase “The Empire Strikes Back” one would have to also purchase “Attack of the Clones”.

Or, maybe, the ultimate bribe....we declared Jar-Jar the most beloved Star Wars character of all time—forever—in exchange for the release of the unaltered OT?

A21C7379-EF5B-49A8-A0D8-6DC5931CBEBB.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back