Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Well, we'll go with Nature on this one story:

Changes: The constant in the Universe; change Bobba Fett to make him less competent in his job of bounty hunter (Sarlacc + old age ).
Apex: Reached the ultimate position in his life of bounty hunter/human...the only way for him now, is downward.
Decay: This downward path leads him to re-organize his life/destiny; he's not capable of doing the tasks he did before (it affects his thoughts).
Death: Now it's time to go to the great beyond; leave and walk toward the horizon and never return.

If we are to adhere to the myths which inspire Star Wars. If the story is to move on past "they lived happily ever after." Things go sideways. The heroes make mistakes and fall.

With that said there is more nuance to be had. I'm always struck with how well the (in my opinion) the original Star Trek films handle the aging hero.

I also think that not ever character needs to have horrible things happen. This will be controversial but Luke going dark, works.(it's fits with the King Arthur and the Hero's Journey.) But it gets depressing when Han and Leia are also in a dark place. I mean we all knew the real reason everyone was separated, was so that they could all have their nostalgic entrance in Episode VII. But not everyone needs that. Han doesn't need to follow he Hero's Journey. And Boba isn't a hero.

With that said there is more nuance to be had. I'm always struck with how well the (in my opinion) the original Star Trek films handle the aging hero.

To your point, one of the best stories about reaching middle age that happens to be set in outer space (per David Mandel):

IMG_2884.jpeg

IMO Luke going dark does make sense from a mythic story POV. But Disney handled it all wrong.

There are many other ways that could have been done besides turning him into Jake "get off my lawn" Skywalker. Some ancient Force demon posesses him. He loses his memory/coma. He's holed himself up for years to battle some great evil or do some great good. He claimed he would leave the galaxy if some orange-skinned guy got elected president and then he kept his word. Etc.

Han Solo should've had a decent happy ending like Indy had in 'Crystal Skull'.

Leia . . . not sure on that one. Maybe political defeat in the Rebel alliance but personal happiness with Han.

The early rumors were, not sure if they were true, that Luke was becoming so powerful he was having trouble dealing with it and that was why he was in exile. He was learning to control it (whether it was his strength or a specific power, not sure). That would have made a lot more sense IMO.

More importantly, I'd argue, they're a refusal by studios (and audiences, to some extent) to move on from the past and do something new.

Each of these projects is an attempt to extend the lifespan of an already-long-in-the-tooth franchise with already-long-in-the-tooth characters (and in some instances, actors) who are quite simply past their fighting prime, as it were.
Problem is this is up to the studios and not the audience. We can voice our opinions on what we think should and should not be made but its ultimately the studios that decide what get made.

With the Star Wars sequel trilogy, once they announced the old actors would be in it, I was pretty much expecting exactly what I got. It wasn't gonna be the old crew high-fiving the young crew and then kicking ass back to back with them. It was going to be "The Empire in some form is back, the old victory is rendered hollow or only temporary, and the old characters are now shadows of their former selves in their glory years."
I dont think anyone was expecting a movie of 60 year olds in a piece of junk flying around and kicking ass (although that would be a good one-off film not going to lie). I think people were realistically expecting a new group of characters as the leads with the old cast popping up as cameos or possibly a mentor role. Saying something like "Im too old to go fighting so I leave the future to you." There is still a big difference between mentors who are hopeful of the future and miserable ones who just want to die until a young um comes to get them in gear. See Top Gun: Maverick to see an old main character not hating himself and wanting to die as an example.

With Boba Fett, the dude was eaten by the Sarlacc. Either he crawls out and it's non-stop asskicking for the next several boring hours, or you actually have some character growth and a reason to bother having the show at all in the first place.
Boba Fett is a bounty hunter, someone with skill but not overwhelming strength like the force. A series on him starting or restarting his career as a bounty hunter while delving into the underground of Star Wars would be an interesting take with an anti-hero or villain protagonist which we dont have in official Star Wars film media (yes in books and video games to an extent). Kicking ass is also not bad if the asskicking is not certain and the hero struggles to eventually kick the ass which Boba Fett would given he is highly trained but only human in a world of aliens and beasts. Given the demand for the cancelled Star Wars bounty hunter game, such a series would have legs.

With Obi-Wan, same story. I mean, what else were people expecting? What the hell is he supposed to be doing for the 6-8 hour run-time of the series? Just sitting, stoically watching Luke and saying "Some day...some day you'll be ready" and then...what? Mopping up stormtroopers with ease? There's nowhere for the character to go when you do that. That's a boring show and story.
Obi Wan should just not have been made period and has been noted by several people here on the site. We knew there was no story to tell at best and would screw up the canon at worst (which the series did with the legitimate question why Obi Wan didnt kill Vader in the series encounter. Vader should have never been there which was apparently the original draft and Obi Wan should have not be drawing attention to himself given he is in hiding to protect Luke).

I do agree that this isn't about gender. I also think the "coincidence" of women being competent has a lot more to do with the fact that women are simply being cast as the central character/lead of these stories. The conscious decision there is, at most, "Let's make this stuff accessible to little girls, too." That's about it, I'd guess. It's not "Make the men look stupid" or even "Make the women look hyper competent." It's "Make the hero/central figure be a hero, and have it be a woman." I think it only really stands out because we're all so used to just defaulting to dudes being the heroes.
While I dont want to go too deep into politics and hate the term "woke," I do think there is something with gender to be honest although its not as major as people make it out to be or the only reason.

There are way too many instances where a character is competent/right or not due to what is between their legs.
Rey is the obvious example but could be excused as badly handling a main character. Leia becomes her mentor though even though she has minimal jedi training and isnt even a jedi. Holdo has all the bearings of a secret traitor or bad guy in disguise but was actually the good guy. Rose is the "moral center" of the cast in TLJ and lectures Finn on the evils of capitalism. Although not revealed, Phasma played by a woman seems to be the only actually competent bad guy from the First Order (although she is still pretty incompetent).

Meanwhile, Luke is a failed jedi who is letting his life waste away. Han ran from his duties and lost his ship. Poe is arrogant and gets his crew killed. Finn remains an "idiot" unaware of the costs of the "real world" and sort of a tagalong. Ben takes consistent Ls and is indecisive until the end (honestly the makings of a good main character). Hux went from authoritative second in command to a joke incompetent commander who was actually the traitor for the resistance.

While bad writing is a big issue, there is some legitimate evidence to make an argument about gender.

I always said that because the SW films were kind of like the Allies fighting the Axis in the Second World War, they could have had one of the Rebel Alliance rising up after the defeat of the Empire, liberating & mopping up the old Imperial Senate & creating a new superpower (USSR)

Instead we kind of went back to the First World War defeat of Germany & the Sequels was their rise again

After buying LFL from Lucas Disney raced in without a plan to resurrect Star Wars, they had a checklist of items that they thought their new films HAD to have

Really what they should have done was to jump forward many centuries & create something new, away from Rebels & Empires

J

Really what could have happened was that Obi Wan could have sensed a force user on Tatooine, perhaps working for Jabba, possibly demanding protection money from the farmers etc, getting too close to discovering Luke

Instead we got an Obi Wan & Leia series

J

Problem is this is up to the studios and not the audience. We can voice our opinions on what we think should and should not be made but its ultimately the studios that decide what get made.

However, it is up to the audience which projects are financially successful and as we see, most of what Hollywood puts out these days fails miserably and loses hundreds of millions of dollars. Since their entire job is to make money, that makes the audience a whole lot more powerful than what you're portraying.

The early rumors were, not sure if they were true, that Luke was becoming so powerful he was having trouble dealing with it and that was why he was in exile. He was learning to control it (whether it was his strength or a specific power, not sure). That would have made a lot more sense IMO.
I mean, I think that both outcomes "make sense," it's just that one is more palatable to fans than the other.

People don't want to accept it, but I tend to think that if you thought you personally caused your nephew to lose his mind and (1) kill all the other Jedi (apparently), and (2) go join the NuFascist regime where he would (3) bring terror and death to the galaxy as a whole while placing it under the boot of said regime...yeah, I can see where that would massively **** you up and make you just go into self-imposed exile.

But it's a downer, and people don't like it. I think it makes sense why they don't like it. But I don't think that Luke bailing doesn't make sense. That's just my view, though.

That aside, while I think it'd make sense that Luke grew "too powerful" and so isolated himself so he wouldn't be a burden also kinda, sorta makes sense, but...it leaves you with MASSIVE narrative problems. There's almost nowhere to go with a story like that, and you end up with inevitable "Why don't the eagles just carry Frodo to Mount Doom?" situations. Like, if Luke is basically a demigod, why doesn't he just destroy the First Order himself? Why do we need anyone else? And why would he then say "No, no, even with all this awfulness, I can't get involved"? That, to me, makes a whole lot less sense than "I feel massive, crushing guilt and believe myself to be a total failure and a danger to the galaxy because my efforts resulted in destroying everything I love and sought to protect."

It does, of course, open up the door for Luke doing a ton of kickass kewl Jedi stuff, but as I said, narratively, that's pretty boring.
Sure, but they're not immune to public opinion, as witnessed based on how they course shifted after TLJ's "divided" response.
I dont think anyone was expecting a movie of 60 year olds in a piece of junk flying around and kicking ass (although that would be a good one-off film not going to lie). I think people were realistically expecting a new group of characters as the leads with the old cast popping up as cameos or possibly a mentor role. Saying something like "Im too old to go fighting so I leave the future to you." There is still a big difference between mentors who are hopeful of the future and miserable ones who just want to die until a young um comes to get them in gear. See Top Gun: Maverick to see an old main character not hating himself and wanting to die as an example.
Yeah, I found Top Gun: Maverick to be really boring, honestly. Plus, it was all about Maverick, not the new characters. If you want a movie about the new characters, then Maverick is more in the Iceman role. Or...wait, sorry, LUKE is more in the Iceman role. Anyway, you get the point. :)
Boba Fett is a bounty hunter, someone with skill but not overwhelming strength like the force. A series on him starting or restarting his career as a bounty hunter while delving into the underground of Star Wars would be an interesting take with an anti-hero or villain protagonist which we dont have in official Star Wars film media (yes in books and video games to an extent). Kicking ass is also not bad if the asskicking is not certain and the hero struggles to eventually kick the ass which Boba Fett would given he is highly trained but only human in a world of aliens and beasts. Given the demand for the cancelled Star Wars bounty hunter game, such a series would have legs.
Yeah, possibly. But that's kinda what The Mandolorian was doing anyway. Which calls into question why you need Boba Fett at all. I think it was intended as fan service, and then, fans being fans, they weren't happy with it. Don't get me wrong: while I enjoyed it overall, I do think it's one of the weakest of the new Star Wars things produced. But I tend to think that mostly because of how it resolves fairly abruptly, not because I disliked where they took the character.
Obi Wan should just not have been made period and has been noted by several people here on the site. We knew there was no story to tell at best and would screw up the canon at worst (which the series did with the legitimate question why Obi Wan didnt kill Vader in the series encounter. Vader should have never been there which was apparently the original draft and Obi Wan should have not be drawing attention to himself given he is in hiding to protect Luke).
Yeah, again, I enjoyed it, but I do see the timeline issues with it. I didn't care as much as some other folks, but I get the complaints about it.

I think I mostly just look at the new Star Wars stuff and take it as it comes. I gave up getting peeved over things ruining "my" Star Wars after going through the various "phases of grief" with the PT coming out and everything shifting to focus on that. Admittedly, I'm just...less picky these days. But that's not to say I don't take issue with things. I still think the PT itself, as a standalone project, is an uninteresting narrative that is weakly conveyed, but I respect it for at least having some kind of "vision" and for it being a clear artistic choice (albeit one I often disagree with). I think the ST is...deeply flawed as an overall project, even if it includes stuff I really enjoy. The rest? Eh, it's just extra stuff that I can choose to have fun with, or that I can ignore. Doesn't faze me one way or the other, really. As a result, I find I'm much more accepting of what it is than frustrated by what it failed to be.
While I dont want to go too deep into politics and hate the term "woke," I do think there is something with gender to be honest although its not as major as people make it out to be or the only reason.

There are way too many instances where a character is competent/right or not due to what is between their legs.
Rey is the obvious example but could be excused as badly handling a main character. Leia becomes her mentor though even though she has minimal jedi training and isnt even a jedi. Holdo has all the bearings of a secret traitor or bad guy in disguise but was actually the good guy. Rose is the "moral center" of the cast in TLJ and lectures Finn on the evils of capitalism. Although not revealed, Phasma played by a woman seems to be the only actually competent bad guy from the First Order (although she is still pretty incompetent).

Meanwhile, Luke is a failed jedi who is letting his life waste away. Han ran from his duties and lost his ship. Poe is arrogant and gets his crew killed. Finn remains an "idiot" unaware of the costs of the "real world" and sort of a tagalong. Ben takes consistent Ls and is indecisive until the end (honestly the makings of a good main character). Hux went from authoritative second in command to a joke incompetent commander who was actually the traitor for the resistance.

While bad writing is a big issue, there is some legitimate evidence to make an argument about gender.
Yeah, sorry, I just disagree with that. Again, without getting too much into deeper political/cultural issues, I think we've all kind of grown up in a world where stories were told with mostly men in these roles and with women being relegated to secondary characters. (Not always, of course -- Ripley comes to mind, as does Sarah Connor.) When we start seeing women put into the roles, it "stands out" because in our experience women have been the love interest, the damsel, the secondary character, etc. You gender-flip things, and make those women men, I think you see a lot less pushback about "God, why are they so hyper competent while everyone else is a doofus?" And it's often not even because of some conscious sense of "Women aren't as capable" as much as we're just...used to stories being told with dudes as the competent heroes.

I mean, nobody's complaining that Luke beats Vader in his second ever lightsabre duel. They're happy to fill in the blanks and say "Surely, in the ensuing years, he must've trained himself, even though we don't know how long it's been between films based solely on the films."

Now, what I do think is likely is that the choice to include more female characters and more people of color as main characters was done to expand the appeal to audiences beyond white dudes. To the extent we want to ascribe cynical, gender/racial/cultural bases to those decisions, I'd say it's waaaay more likely that it comes down to "And that way more people will see the movie, and we'll make even more money and be able to sell way more stuff to people."

Past that, it really is down to sloppy storytelling and being more interested in building rollercoasters than anything else.

The fail of buying into it is while, sure, you would feel terrible beyond belief - you also know you are the only one leftvwho can stop him. So no, it isnt believable he blows off everyone to let the neofascist run the galaxy. That is everyones disconnect. Plus, if you wanna pull that off, it takes more than a 30 second flashback to make people think he could possibly do that.

People don't want to accept it, but I tend to think that if you thought you personally caused your nephew to lose his mind and (1) kill all the other Jedi (apparently), and (2) go join the NuFascist regime where he would (3) bring terror and death to the galaxy as a whole while placing it under the boot of said regime...yeah, I can see where that would massively **** you up and make you just go into self-imposed exile.
While I personally didnt mind the Luke being depressed, the how he came to that state was contradictory and silly.
- Luke attempts to kill Ben because he has the most darkness he has ever seen.

This is compared to Vader, a man who slaughtered a tribe of Tusken Raiders and jedi children. If Kylo Ren was a powerful darkside user, ok makes sense and hypes him up as a big bad. But Ben's "flaw" is that he has too much light in him which is why he killed Dad Solo. This doesnt fit with the narrative.

And given Luke still believes in Vader's light despite all that, him not having faith in his own nephew seems out of left field. I always felt Luke actually purposefully ignoring Ben's darkness and then having his school and students destroyed by Ben would better justify his guilt and failure, ignoring a threat and undermining his beliefs in family and the goodness in people.

Sure, but they're not immune to public opinion, as witnessed based on how they course shifted after TLJ's "divided" response.
And they still go full throttle trying to make Rey the new lead or Captain Marvel the new face of the MCU? Still keeping Kennedy in charge of Lucasfilm? Still replacing MCU cast with female counterparts essentially?

Yeah, I found Top Gun: Maverick to be really boring, honestly. Plus, it was all about Maverick, not the new characters. If you want a movie about the new characters, then Maverick is more in the Iceman role. Or...wait, sorry, LUKE is more in the Iceman role. Anyway, you get the point. :)
Hollywood doesnt have many recent good movies differing to past heroes. Another good example from literature would be the Edge Chronicles. The main character in the first series gets "cursed with immortality" and stuck on an island and meets his grandson. Twig first acts like Yoda in a sense, acting like he isnt anyone major and then drops his name and also goes along the adventure with the main characters while not being an old person just waiting to die.

Same could be said for Obi Wan in OT. He is arguably the "central focus" of PT and takes a supporting role in OT. He rises to the call but is unable to defeat Vader because of his age so leaves the task to Luke who has more potential and youth. Obi Wan also isnt a death seeker and depressed in OT.

Yeah, possibly. But that's kinda what The Mandolorian was doing anyway. Which calls into question why you need Boba Fett at all. I think it was intended as fan service, and then, fans being fans, they weren't happy with it. Don't get me wrong: while I enjoyed it overall, I do think it's one of the weakest of the new Star Wars things produced. But I tend to think that mostly because of how it resolves fairly abruptly, not because I disliked where they took the character.
Mando essentially is a escort quest transporting Grogu to safety. Not that much exploration of the criminal underbelly with Mando also being arguably a good guy while Boba could be a purely bad protagonist. It could have also been Boba instead of Mando tbh or just scrap Boba now that Mando took off since Mando was originally going to be Boba.

Yeah, sorry, I just disagree with that. Again, without getting too much into deeper political/cultural issues, I think we've all kind of grown up in a world where stories were told with mostly men in these roles and with women being relegated to secondary characters. (Not always, of course -- Ripley comes to mind, as does Sarah Connor.) When we start seeing women put into the roles, it "stands out" because in our experience women have been the love interest, the damsel, the secondary character, etc. You gender-flip things, and make those women men, I think you see a lot less pushback about "God, why are they so hyper competent while everyone else is a doofus?" And it's often not even because of some conscious sense of "Women aren't as capable" as much as we're just...used to stories being told with dudes as the competent heroes.
There are lots of media with female main characters. Why cant we just have stories were there are capable and incapable characters and villains regardless of gender?

This kind of story only works if the character's gender plays a key role in the story which is honestly why Barbie was so well written in a sense. Gender is a key role in the movie and the differentiator between "barbies" and "kens" in a matriarchal society. Its a good movie but was honestly playing to current Hollywood's strengths with a good conclusion than neither matriarchy or patriarchy is good.

Cant believe Im citing Harry Potter as "good literature" but Hermione is the best wizard in terms of knowledge and problem solving. Even though the main is a male character, there are competent and loving female characters like Molly Weasley, Luna Lovegood, or Ginny later in the series. There are also great enemies regardless of gender (Voldemort, Pettigrew, Lestrange, Umbridge). Star Wars ST/MCU phase 4 has moved toward painting male characters as generally incompetent (First Order leadership is a joke to the point that its hard to believe they actually took over the galaxy and succeeded the Empire) on both sides while female characters are generally competent. The First Order definitely lost because they had fewer women lol.

I mean, nobody's complaining that Luke beats Vader in his second ever lightsabre duel. They're happy to fill in the blanks and say "Surely, in the ensuing years, he must've trained himself, even though we don't know how long it's been between films based solely on the films."
Luke was also wrecked by Vader in their first fight where Vader essentially toyed with him and Luke was only alive because Vader wanted to capture him alive (hence testing the freezing in carbonite on Han). As soon as Luke gets a glancing blow, Vader disarms him, literally.

There is a time lapse between ESB and RotJ to justify a missed training montage and Luke still arguably taps into the dark side to beat a Vader who is "turning more to the light" and may have been holding back.

Compare that to Rey that never lost a duel and was automatically the same level of competence as Ben who has been training for years because "dyad." If I was Ben, I would say f that and just sit on the couch. No matter what, we are equal in strength anyway and the villain aint winning in a Disney movie.

Now, what I do think is likely is that the choice to include more female characters and more people of color as main characters was done to expand the appeal to audiences beyond white dudes. To the extent we want to ascribe cynical, gender/racial/cultural bases to those decisions, I'd say it's waaaay more likely that it comes down to "And that way more people will see the movie, and we'll make even more money and be able to sell way more stuff to people."

Past that, it really is down to sloppy storytelling and being more interested in building rollercoasters than anything else.
Except thats consistently shown to not be the case and that logic defended by Hollywood. White-led movies still are often the top grossing with minority led ones being rare exceptions like Black Panther. Hollywood themselves defended this when "white washing" Bullet Train that was released in 2022, saying that Asians and Asian-Americans are different and Asians have their own cinema and go to Hollywood for foreign entertainment.

Movie still did well ($100M both domestic and overseas against $90M budget) and made double its budget because Brad Pitt is a audience draw and the movie itself was written well since its a decent adaptation of a novel.

You could chalk it up to bad writing which definitely contributes but there is too many instances of stories where female characters are just better than their male counterparts and the villain also needs to be a woman to put up a challenge because men are inferior in modern movies that it honestly seems intentional.

However, it is up to the audience which projects are financially successful and as we see, most of what Hollywood puts out these days fails miserably and loses hundreds of millions of dollars. Since their entire job is to make money, that makes the audience a whole lot more powerful than what you're portraying.
That's right: as a consumer, I'm always voting with my wallet;)

Solo4114 wrote: "Yeah, I found Top Gun: Maverick to be really boring, honestly. Plus, it was all about Maverick, not the new characters. If you want a movie about the new characters, then Maverick is more in the Iceman role. Or...wait, sorry, LUKE is more in the Iceman role. Anyway, you get the point."

Cruise is the bankable star + producer...that kind of story was inevitable ;) A TG4 is in the works; maybe Tom will have a reduced role and let the others shine...we'll see.

If they did Rogue Squadron with Tom, and gave him, Bruckheimer, and Kosinski full control...that might be the only way I'd watch a new Star Wars movie.
At last... the crossover we've all been waiting for...brought to you by Nukethisfilm and directed by some political activist you've never heard of until now..oh...oh..here she comes! Watch out boys, she'll chew you up!

TOP DUMB: Maneater
1705607183059.png

Solo4114 wrote: "Yeah, I found Top Gun: Maverick to be really boring, honestly. Plus, it was all about Maverick, not the new characters. If you want a movie about the new characters, then Maverick is more in the Iceman role. Or...wait, sorry, LUKE is more in the Iceman role. Anyway, you get the point."

Cruise is the bankable star + producer...that kind of story was inevitable ;) A TG4 is in the works; maybe Tom will have a reduced role and let the others shine...we'll see.
No, I think we all know deep down that it will be the Tom show again. Heck, in Oblivion, he died and still came back for the romantic reunitement ending.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back