New Toho Godzilla film

In my area it is only showing on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. No Friday or Sunday and I have plans for Saturday. I guess they want to keep those days open for movies that will make more money, like "Queen of Katwe".

Well, bought my ticket for tomorrow night at my local theater! Can't wait, lol. So glad this is getting a limited US release.

Going Thursday, we only get a Japanese G on big screens every 15 years at the current rate so it's a big deal for sure.

Last edited:
It opens this Thursday here, but I won't get to see it until probably Tue/Wed next week. Regardless of how good or bad it is, I'm still excited about seeing a Japanese Godzilla movie on the big screen!

Just got my tickets for a show tomorrow night. I grew up watching the classics with my 2 Canadian cousins. It was our regular thing whenever we'd meet up! SO pumped for this!

Saw the 7pm showing at the Keystone Arts in Indy. This showing was originally scheduled for their smallest screen, and pre ticket sales grew to sell out their full screen. One-third of the audience was seated 45 minutes early. Mostly hardcore Godzilla fans, and parents who brought young kids to seed the next generation.

I love original Godzilla. To keep it vague, this 2016 version was fantastic. It nailed all of the classic cues I needed to see, and incorporated enough new themes to make it relevant for 2016.

Godzilla the creature was handled beautifully. Not saying another word until others see it.

I concur with Darth. Their take on the Japanese government and their handling of disasters was down right comical, as was their take on the US.

Caught the 7:30 show last night. I really liked it. It's not your daddy's Godzilla though, lol. This incarnation was quite menacing and formidable. Love the new design and the music cues were wonderful. Can't wait to see if this ushers in a new series of modern Japanese Godzilla films.

Got back not too long ago from the 7:30 showing too and I loved it. Ol' G is back to his menacing, if not moreso, roots and there so much of the original film's influence on it but skewed in a modern slant that it's amazing how well it works. Rather than dealing with post-war nuclear threat (there's still a tinge of that underpinning here), it really deals with US/Japan foreign affairs and, in general, US foreign military intervention. It really is quite smart and I think it won't be given that credit simply because it's Godzilla.

Anno's directing and writing lends a certain stylishness to the film that really is striking. It has a lot of cues from his animated work but it really works well in live-action. Again, there's a real "peppiness" to this film following the mad descent of the bureaucracy dealing with a threat like this and never once loses it's footing in the grounded reality it's presenting. Absolutely loved this film. It even made up for the two twats that sat in front of me mucking about and checking their phones.

Glad to see the King of Monsters back to form and telling the US Godzilla to suck a big fat one.:p

Just got back from seeing it tonight. My review is quite the opposite of the others. Now this is just my opinion so don't start slinging hate.

I think I was declared dead about three times during the film, from boredom. While the scenes that actually had Godzilla in it (all 5 minutes of it) were
astounding, the rest of the film was dreadfully boring. I don't think English dubbing could make it more interesting. This is one movie I will NEVER sit
through again. Maybe watch the "just Godzilla" clips when edited for youtube. Final Wars is a gem compared to this one. :(

Agreed on the talky bits went on too long and could have used some short break aways to G rather than looooong stretches waiting for the next G segment. It was not bad talky segments certainly good content was there but it dragged out. Granted there were some huge payoffs and Tokyo suffered all of hell upon it. G stood in the burning ruins like the conquering demon of mankind's destruction. Good use of classic scores, but team nerd let's get to work music was cheesy and used more than once.
I consider it a beginning, chapter one, and I suspect G will return in yet another evolved form.

I too must agree that many of the scenes between the Godzilla scenes were quite boring, but Godzilla's scenes made the wait worth it. But ya, one viewing for me as well. Last time I saw a Japanese Godzilla film on the big screen was Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla so I jumped on the chance to see a new one.

I agree with CessnaDriver, this felt like a new beginning and big G will be most likely return in new form in the near future.

I enjoyed it, although I admit I found myself dozing off a few times (but tiredness had a lot to do with that).
There are great "WHOA, he can do THAT now?" moments.

The US-Japan liason lady is beautiful.

Strange that the characters never acknowledge, much less explain, all the blood in the water (and the tunnel) during the emergence. VOLCANOES DON'T BLEED

No way a wrecked city would have nice clear roads for all those tankers to get up close to him...

Some really indulgent and not-motivated-by-story directorial choices, like the camera being in the phone cradle when someone hangs up.

Excessive overuse of identifier titles. We don't need to know what kind of helicopter it is and what squadron it's assigned to, or the names of the roads at the intersection that's being stomped on.

Last edited:
Excessive overuse of identifier titles. We don't need to know what kind of helicopter it is and what squadron it's assigned to, or the names of the roads at the intersection that's being stomped on.
It put me in mind of some of the old war movies like "Midway" or "Tora, Tora, Yora".

I'm glad I did not see it last week or I may have seen it twice. I loved it. I also liked the use of the original theme and some variations on it. And Tokyo was Trashed.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

Just saw it. Man, I havent been this bored in a movie in ages. The best part was when the original them came in. The audience let out a collective groan when the spawn came to shore for the first time. Third act was damn near unwatchable. I felt like the dialogue was a gilmore girls episode considering how fast they were talking and their response time. REALLY disappointed. Jaw unhinging and laser blasts from the tail? So what was the deal with the end? Were those baby godzillas coming out the tail or were those humans? Also, its not satire if they hit you on the head with it. Two big giant thumbs down. I would rather sit through Final Wars any day of the week. Damn. Super pissed.

Godzilla in the far future? Hm, I ain't big into anime to begin with and certainly not this 3D-to-look-2D stuff I'm seeing more often. But, I do appreciate they're just gonna do something crazy with it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back