Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

Ron

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So I watched this thinking that was Kong sitting on the throne but the comments suggested it was another ape.

I haven't loved the Legendary movies but I haven't disliked them enough to give up on them just yet. We shall see...

Whereas I really haven't liked one yet. I mean, ooh, aah, CGI crap, but what they have on screen isn't Godzilla, it's Godzilla-in-name-only. It's a bunch of terrible human characters that I have never once given a damn about. The people have no personality, the monsters have no personality, it's another mindless CGI-fest with no real story behind it.

So... just like most things coming out of Hollywood these days.

Yeah, that's the problem. The human characters are boring. I read comments where people say something along the lines of, "Nobody cares about the human characters. Just give us good fights!" Yeah, that thinking does NOT make for a good monster movie. You NEED the human element. All the best TOHO Godzilla films going back to the original (especially the original), had human characters that had a vested involvement in the story that tied them to Godzilla in which you cared for their fate. In the Legendary movies, they're just sort of along for the ride in a convoluted way. The only moment of the four films that had any impact for me was
Dr. Serizawa sacrificing himself to revive Godzilla which was a flipped callback to the original.
and even that could've had a better buildup and execution.

I'd love to have a practical effect Godzilla from Legendary but we still have TOHO for that (Hopefully. There was a ton of cgi in Shin Godzilla.) so I don't mind the cgi from them too much. I just wish it looked a little better. It doesn't look awful but there were times where it looked more obvious than not.

Most CGI looks fake, especially if you're talking about nature or animals. You might be able to get away with it for superheroes slugging each other, but it just doesn't have the weight of practical effects. That's really the problem is that Hollywood has been so concerned with whether they could, that they don't ask if they should. Just because you can slap a ridiculous looking stunt on screen or an over-the-top action scene, that doesn't mean that it fits into the narrative, if they bother to include a narrative at all.

What is the ‘x’ for? Times, kiss, can’t see it stands for anything meaningful. Please educate me

Not sure. Maybe they thought it would look 'cool'. I have no clue.

“X” denotes a collaboration between two entities in a lot of cases right now.

Nike X Cristiano Ronaldo is the Nike/Ronaldo line.

Supreme X Nike are Supreme logos on Nike products.

Here’s one I just got emailed about, State Bikes X Taco Bell are State’s bikes with Taco Bell themes.

99A9C5BE-E184-43D6-AA3D-11832C7B0671.png

X basically just means “with” or “together.”

Just got back from watching Godzilla X Kong. I gotta say, that movie was non stop from beginning to end. Was hard to squeeze a bathroom break in without missing something. Enjoyed this much better than the last Godzilla vs. Kong outing and was way better than Ghostbusters Frozen Empire. That movie just dragged along for me.

So I watched this thinking that was Kong sitting on the throne but the comments suggested it was another ape.

I haven't loved the Legendary movies but I haven't disliked them enough to give up on them just yet. We shall see...

A whole lotta “dumb” in the trailers…on the levels of The Fast and the Furious stupidity….

“Let’s have a roaring contest!!”

IMG_3905.jpeg

But the dumbest thing of all…”Nintendo Power Glove Kong”…

IMG_3906.jpeg

“You’ve got the power!!”

IMG_3907.jpeg

I hope the actual movie is better than the trailers make it out to be.

Last edited:
I've been avoiding trailers since I'm seeing this regardless but yeah,...power glove haha.

Why he has it? Don't know.
Who built it and why? Your guess is as good as mine.
Why only one hand and not the other? Beats the heck outta me.

I'm still trying to figure out from the last movie how there's a Sun in the center of the Earth.

I literally don't care if there's a plot. Pass me the popcorn.

My son got back from watching that the other night. He said the problem with the movie is that there IS a plot, which is so bad that the film would have been better without one! So it's about 90 minutes too long...

I've been avoiding trailers since I'm seeing this regardless but yeah,...power glove haha.

Why he has it? Don't know.
Who built it and why? Your guess is as good as mine.
Why only one hand and not the other? Beats the heck outta me.

I'm still trying to figure out from the last movie how there's a Sun in the center of the Earth.
all of those questions are answered in the film.

Perhaps it’s my age. I’ve loved kaiju movies since being a kid. Saw the 1933 Kink Kong on tv in the early 70s and fell in love with movie sfx as a result and even liked the 1976 version but this movie left me cold. Long periods of no dialogue and humans who made no influence on the plot but the thing that got me most was the sheer amount of human destruction that would have occurred, if this was real life, that wasn’t addressed in the movie.

Godzilla fights a spider crab thing (can’t remember name) in Rome, trashing buildings as they go.

Godzilla ploughs through Cairo, destroying anything in his wake.

The four kaiju trash Rio DJ, killing what would be 100s of thousands as building are wontonly smashed into oblivion.

The entire military might of the world would absolutely destroy each and every kaiju as and when they appeared. Not let the likes of Godzilla make Romes colluseum a nest for napping, FFS!

At least Pacific Rim, for all its sins, addressed this somewhat

Caught this yesterday in IMAX and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had reservations after the last Godzilla vs Kong, but I though this film was much better. I really want a Kong and Little kong figure sooooo badly, lol.

I felt that this was a call back to the craziness that was the original films of the 60's thru the 70's. I mean , lets be honest, the plot lines and space aliens of the old films are just as wacky and out there as these new films. I just watch them with my 9 yr old glasses and enjoy them for what they are, giant monsters fighting. That said, I think I would have preferred that they they went with space aliens rather than the hollow earth, just my 2 cents. The fights in the new film are among my fav. The film is far from perfect, but I liked it much better than the last one.

Of the the new legendary films, the 2014 Gareth Edwards film was my fav until the masterpiece that was Godzilla minus one. I Know many complaints of the 2014 film is Godzilla's actual screen time, but the plot was so good and loved Brian Cranston's character. I feel like it has the serious tone of the original.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back