Farscape DRD Sculpt 1:1

well it is getting late, but here is the beginning of the final sculpting and design ... this time around I am finishing it and getting it not just into silicone but completed :) thank all of you for bearing with me!!

begining of front end face lift.jpg

even if they are just quick phone pics like this one... I will try to keep the progress documented and posted.

A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO JAMES SHORT!! He has been helping a ton on the electronics front! Thanks to his prompting I have spent the last two days learning Arduino, and decided to use my pulse pistol as my learning project. I have programmed the 4 alternating lights in the back to the same slow speed for the first second that the gun turns on, then for the next almost 2 seconds the lights speed up and then they go out and the site and the overload window light come on.

When you flip the overload switch the lights in the back start out slow (142 miliseconds apart.. as fast as they are in the end of the start up sequence) and then they speed up till they go solid and then all the lights on the gun go out for 10 seconds!!

All I have left is the blaster programming and to work out the sound!! Thank you again James and I look forward to continuing this adventure with you!

It looks better and better every time you update! Keep 'em coming. You say you're planning to put it under some silicone? Does this mean there will be kits available sometime in the future? :D

yes, this will be sold at least under a limited run as a kit as soon as it is molded and available completed with working electronics shortly afterwords

IMG_20150815_025349.jpg

needs to be cleaned up a bit but first attempt of the cables in the front right window

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't happy with the back panel I did before so I am remaking the entire back panel.... here is my digital design for the risen panels... I am cutting these in polystyrene and then sanding and shaping them further so they are just rough designs.. Back Pannel Patterns.jpg

Seriously, I'm running out of adjectives... The new back shell is a massive improvement!
After the huge delay on this project, getting almost daily updates is like mainlining meth.
Awesome work!

this is so funny to read . I actually made those years ago when I still work for Henson's. ( it was the last show I did there) I wish I could show you some photographs but unfortunately I never took any . I also made the Moya prototype for the show pitch I do have photos of that somewhere. as for the little silicone feet, I drilled 3mm hole in a sheet of perspex and fabricated the mold. interesting fact I made the vac form pattern internal so you sucked the ABS in rather than over. This meant you got sharper edges where you would least expect them so it did look to much like a vac form. also you could throw sand in the mould to get a corroded looks. they where all made in red ABS because they where going to be red, then painted yellow when they got to OZ (art directors call) . good luck with your project . I'd like to see it finished.

Hi Flimzy,

I would love to ask you a couple questions about the DRD's you made, but if I had just one question I could ask it would be. Can you estimate the dimensions of the DRD if it were a rectangle (LxWxH)? IMHO the proper size of the DRD's is the most difficult aspect to capture (other than the LED waves synced to the speed controler).

side note: FXArtist in this thread has done the best I've seen on the web at replicating a DRD in proportion and size (and accuracy, etc...). [And - jackdoud - should also get significant praise for all his efforts to archive the screen caps and copious information on how the DRDs actually looked and operated.]

After that I would ask you some more questions about vac forming the shell (how you did it, what the best book [or resource] on vac forming is that you would recommend...). Thank you for your generosity in posting here for everyone working on a DRD to benefit from. I likely don't need to state it, but I love your work on these things! I would bet that everyone reading and posting in this thread loves your work too. It is my opinion that the DRD's are the most endearing piece of "background" in the show, sometimes its the 'little things' that are the best.

Thank you in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

FXArtist - how is the DRD coming? I'm wondering if I need to start my own, or if you are close to production. I saw your pusle pistol on FB and it looks great!

I can't help you with any books on vacforming as most people do I learned by experimenting. I'd talked the creature shop into buying a new formech 2 foot vac former years before when we where making dinosaurs the TV show. I can tell you I use 2mm red ABS and the eyes where 2 cell maglight heads. I made my buck out of geliton (timber).
they where about 600mm long 250 high but you have to remeber this was years ago so I could be wrong.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back