Build: Greedo Killer: "Accurized" Denix

Geezus this scares me:
URL]

One thing you need to do is take a look at the discs... you need to countersink them compared to the original prop. Center one should be deeper than the other two as well.

One thing you need to do is take a look at the discs... you need to countersink them compared to the original prop. Center one should be deeper than the other two as well.

Ah, yeah I see what you mean. This was just a quick assembly, I think I just put them on backwards. They are from the recent run so they should be correct, right? Thanks though. Will fix.

That's looking awesome.

Matty Matt. High praise coming from you ... how am I just now stumbling across your accurized Denix ESB? I have been starting to feel pretty content with mine, but now that I see yours I'm tempted to go even further! Great idea with the magnets under the sight by the way, I had the same issue with it flopping around after I took a file to the butt. I'm thinking I'll at least drill out the sight pin holes and attempt the trigger ... your safety and hammer are tempting me though ... they look great. And, your edges are totally sharper than mine :angry

Props! (pun intended)

Last edited:
I forgot to add, it does look freaking awesome though! Don't want my post to wind critical, I just want to help.

But great work! I don't have the patience to sand the heck out of the Denix like that. Great!

Wow! Great job with "accurazing" Denix C96 replica. If I wouldn't read title and posts I'd say that this isn't Denix. Really. Freaking awesome! Nice idea on using Weaver K1.5-1 scope for it!

By the way, just asking but is it Denix? http://www.ima-usa.com/german-wwi-mauser-c96-broom-handle-display-pistol.html

I am really really loving what you guys can achieve with "just" a Denix....looks stellar!

Wow! Great job with "accurazing" Denix C96 replica. If I wouldn't read title and posts I'd say that this isn't Denix. Really. Freaking awesome! Nice idea on using Weaver K1.5-1 scope for it!

Thanks for the kind words! It takes a lot of patience but they can definitely be cleaned up to look half decent.

Nice idea on using Weaver K1.5-1 scope for it!

I love the Weaver scope, but I actually picked up one of Solo's Hold's replica Compac scopes that I'll be using ... that is what you see strapped onto the cobbled-together gun in my last update. I'm considering selling the Weaver, if there is someone that is building a GK and is in need, but I may also keep it for a custom blaster build in the future.

Ok! It will be question off-topic but as TFA DL-44 is based on airsoft M712 - would it be good as base for prop gun? I heard that it's the most accurate M712 replica available yet. (Not talking about MGC because it's not available unless you look on eBay).
http://gletcherguns.com/shop/air-guns/m712.html

Han's TFA blaster is indeed based on an airsoft M712 Mauser, although at this point it is still unclear as to which brand was used for the hero prop. We have seen different versions for some of the promotional photos and/or posters, but the brands that have been speculated to have been used are the HFC M712, and possibly the Marushin M712. The link you posted is neither, but is indeed an M712 and is probably pretty close since it is modeled after the same gun, though they all have their subtle differences. Check out this thread devoted to Han's TFA blaster ... it has a lot of good pictures and speculation if you scroll back a few pages: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=248749 The MGC is definitely the most accurate replica for the C96 Mauser, but is not ideal for Han's TFA blaster as far as accuracy goes. If you're asking me, I'd just wait until some decent screen caps come out of the gun and we can get confirmation on which of the blasters we've seen thus far is the hero prop, but if I were going to build one right now, I'd probably choose the HFC M712. Just my two cents though!

You were right, the discs weren't on backwards, that's how they are countered. I'll have to see about making them deeper. I see what you mean on the screen-used.

A couple small updates:

I took Scott's advice and countered the scope mount disks a bit in an attempt to better match the screen-used prop. The mill was on the fritz, so I did the best I could with the drill press. A bit choppy, but it should look ok after paint. Not totally accurate, but I think it's an improvement:

I also popped the sight off and cleaned that up a bit. It was pretty amorphous before ... I started hitting some air bubbles on the bottom of the base so I left that be:

I also further cleaned up the knurling on the hammer, and finally decided that those air bubbles in the firing pin were bothering me enough to knock it out and try to sand it down. No luck ... they just kept popping up. I think I took it down a bit too far, as there's not a ton of surface area left to be grabbed on to :facepalm It may be fine but I'll probably start asking around for a replacement.

Before sanding: (forgot to take an "after" photo)

Still slowly cleaning up the Denix body, as well. I decided to sharpen up some of the edges a bit more with a small file, then had to go back and sand away the filing marks all over again ... more photos to come!

Last edited:
Finally picked up the old Denix again ... hoping to keep the momentum going and make some more progress on accurizing this week!

Picked up this countersink bit for my hand drill per Matty Matt and others' request ...

37076218011_6bffbfab09_b.jpg

Drilled out the sight pin holes for a more accurate look. I also popped the pin out and put it in the chuck of my hand-drill and used a sanding block to round it out. I'm happy with it.

37028339546_2dfcf105a3_b.jpg

Hopefully I'll be posting some more updates soon, so stay tuned.

Last edited:
A bit more progress on the Denix. As usual, I'm hoping to keep the momentum going and finish this thing up sooner than later ... here's hoping life allows it! Just waiting for one of those 70 degree days we've been having here on the east coast this winter and I'm gonna try to get the scope and mount painted.

Last year I sent out an SOS for anyone with a spare Denix firing pin, as I managed to ruin mine trying to get rid of air bubbles (see above). User tomm1999 was gracious enough to send me a few of his custom aluminum Denix firing pins that he had made up! So sorry for the delay on giving credit where credits due ... these things are MILES better than the stock firing pin ... THANK YOU, Tom! I think I'm gonna go with the more angled one in the foreground. Just need to do a bit of sanding and it'll be in place:

36381521924_4e4de080a6_k.jpg

37076243721_2134af4eb4_k.jpg

I also found some time to get my DEC walnut grips fitted to the Denix frame. It didn't take much, just a small bit of filing to the outside of the Denix grip frame and a bit of sanding to the back sides of the grips. I hit them with some Birchwood Casey Walnut Stain and am waiting for them to dry. This photo was taken shortly after staining them ... they'll definitely lighten up a bit after they dry. Once they're to my liking I'll hit them with some Tru-Oil.

36381523214_40a9c56375_k.jpg

EDIT: In hindsight, I would have skipped the walnut stain. Just some Tru Oil or equivalent will give the walnut plenty of richness in tone.

Just some baby steps, but I'm hoping to knock this thing out. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back