Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Something that always bother me is when someone is using a cane (or single crutch) and they are using it ON THE WRONG SIDE. I rarely see them use one properly. I guess it makes the limp more pronounced for dramatic effect...
Actually, when my joints are acting up enough to use a stick I sometimes switch sides, it might be that I need to give the wrist a break or because it feels weird to have the stick in my non-dominant hand.

Something that always bother me is when someone is using a cane (or single crutch) and they are using it ON THE WRONG SIDE. I rarely see them use one properly. I guess it makes the limp more pronounced for dramatic effect...
Before I started using a cane I didn't know there was a "right" way or a "wrong" way to use one, and I'm pretty sure most people who have never needed to use one fall into that category. It's just one of those things most people don't think about because they don't need to.

On House, M.D. Hugh Laurie intentionally used it on the "wrong" side because they wanted House to walk somewhat awkwardly to reinforce the notion that the damage to his leg was crippling. Unfortunately, limping the way he did for so many seasons caused Laurie some actual physical problems that required medical attention. Also, he had gotten so used to it that, for a while, on non-House projects he would immediately start limping as soon as he heard the word "Action!". :lol

Actually, when my joints are acting up enough to use a stick I sometimes switch sides, it might be that I need to give the wrist a break or because it feels weird to have the stick in my non-dominant hand.
I do the same thing. It all depends on which symptoms I'm experiencing at that moment, and which side offers more relief.

Simple facts being wrong. For example, I'm watching the show "Aftermath" and one of the characters gets bitten by a dog that is assumed to be rabid. Of course they have to give that person the shots and they keep talking about the stomach. Even I know that rabies shots haven't been given in the stomach since the 80's.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

You know that trope where things look grim for our hero who is being held at gunpoint by a monologuing bad guy but then the bad guy is suddenly peppered with squibs when he's shot by an offscreen person?

My brother just talked me into watching The Purge. The movie was exactly what I expected and completely predictable. What I didn't expect is that this film probably has more monologuing bad guy kills than any film I can think of.

Star Wars Rebels just did a twist on that last episode.

SPOILER

Thrawn was monologuing to Hera, and then turned and shot the in-disguise Ezra nearby, because (paraphrased from memory), "you Rebels have a tendency for last minute rescues".

You know that trope where things look grim for our hero who is being held at gunpoint by a monologuing bad guy but then the bad guy is suddenly peppered with squibs when he's shot by an offscreen person?

My brother just talked me into watching The Purge. The movie was exactly what I expected and completely predictable. What I didn't expect is that this film probably has more monologuing bad guy kills than any film I can think of.

I might have written this before, but in military themed movies, everyone seems to refer to each other by rank, when in real life everyone refers to someone who outranks them as an officer as "sir," and Ma'am" and never by their rank.
The one exception is NCOs will ref to a 2nd LT as, "Eltee" and that's the only time they can get away with it.
I interacted with a couple of generals who like to be called, "General" as if that's their name, though...

Agree with most of this. I hate it when they want a scene to be at night/dusk but instead of filming it at the right time they just film in the middle of the day and post-edit to make it vaguely look dark with a blue-ish cast. But you can clearly see the strong shadows, the high contrast and even the actors squinting from the sunlight! So annoying, just film it at night!

When the movie suddenly goes from night to day in a span of minutes when you know it was nowhere near dawn when the scene was meant to happen. They don't even bother faking it it's just suddenly dawn out, you see it a lot in the 80s and 90s films.

When the movie suddenly goes from night to day in a span of minutes when you know it was nowhere near dawn when the scene was meant to happen. They don't even bother faking it it's just suddenly dawn out, you see it a lot in the 80s and 90s films.
And the dark Knight rises

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's one of the more redeeming things about Terminator#3. They did that long chase where it gradually went from dark to light in real-time. That's a helluva challenge just to schedule & coordinate. And the chase was shot in populated areas of Los Angeles. I'm surprised the producers ever greenlit the idea.

Good guy is being led along by bad guy and he knows it. Good guy is lured somewhere and comes across a box that says "open me", or a tape that says "play me", or a phone starts ringing.

DO NOT OPEN THE BOX, OR PLAY THE TAPE, OR ANSWER THE PHONE.
The bad guy wants you to. So don't! Simple! He can't spring whatever he's planning unless you cooperate.

Agree with most of this. I hate it when they want a scene to be at night/dusk but instead of filming it at the right time they just film in the middle of the day and post-edit to make it vaguely look dark with a blue-ish cast. But you can clearly see the strong shadows, the high contrast and even the actors squinting from the sunlight! So annoying, just film it at night!
This is a matter of capturing what they want you to see on film. In the industry it's referred to (or used to be) as a "day for night" shot, and they use lens filters or post production computer tinkering to control the amount of light/dark they want. It's either film this way, or film at night with a bunch of unnatural light sources illuminating the scenes. Either way, it never quite looks realistic.

That's one of the (few) changes I think the original JAWS needs. The day-for-night scenes look as fake as Bruce the shark. Even something as simple as darkening the entire frame a notch would help.

I don't blame the Berg for shooting those scenes day-for-night originally. He had enough practical problems on his hands without trying to shoot at night and artificially light up the ocean.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back