Things you're tired of seeing in movies

The thing with actors and plastic surgery is that in a lot of cases their careers are based on their looks, this is especially true with women. Big time Hollywood actresses feel the need to maintain their good looks because, by and large, that's what gets them work and for most actresses it's hard to to continuously get roles throughout their career. Unlike their male counterparts women are generally most castable during 2 periods in their lives, when they're young in their 20s and maybe early 30s, then when they hit their 50s or 60s, in between the roles, at least the good ones, get to be few and far between. This is why many Hollywood starlets feel the need for plastic surgery, they feel the need to put off aging for as long as possible in order to maintain their careers.
What they really should do is, once their at the end of their "first castable period", they should lead a a life that speeds up the process which makes them look like their in their second "castable period" ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The thing with actors and plastic surgery is that in a lot of cases their careers are based on their looks, this is especially true with women. Big time Hollywood actresses feel the need to maintain their good looks because, by and large, that's what gets them work and for most actresses it's hard to to continuously get roles throughout their career. Unlike their male counterparts women are generally most castable during 2 periods in their lives, when they're young in their 20s and maybe early 30s, then when they hit their 50s or 60s, in between the roles, at least the good ones, get to be few and far between. This is why many Hollywood starlets feel the need for plastic surgery, they feel the need to put off aging for as long as possible in order to maintain their careers.
Also what looks good on screen isn't necessarily what looks good in real life. It might be a conscious sacrifice to make small changes of this sort in order to maintain their looks for film. But, as we get into higher definition television, a lot of cosmetic work actually becomes more obvious even on the small screen, it seems. When you start down that road to making small changes it's almost impossible to know when and where to draw the line - if at all.

Ropes breaking. This one may have been mentioned before. A rope is being used to haul something or keep a character from dying and they show it rubbing against something that is slowly cutting through the rope. Usually the rope breaks and whatever it was holding falls. Occasionally, the item or person is pulled up before the rope breaks. Variations of this are the buckle at the beginning of "Cliffhanger".

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

Ropes breaking. This one may have been mentioned before. A rope is being used to haul something or keep a character from dying and they show it rubbing against something that is slowly cutting through the rope. Usually the rope breaks and whatever it was holding falls. Occasionally, the item or person is pulled up before the rope breaks. Variations of this are the buckle at the beginning of "Cliffhanger".

Or, as mentioned in a YouTube video I watched a while back, people (particularly in shows/movies set before modern times) cutting ropes to set horses free, release a ship from its moorings, un-tieing a person, etc.This seems like not that big of a deal until you stop to think just how much time and effort would have gone into making a rope before machines came along, then you realize that people wouldn't be cutting ropes so freely, esp, if it was their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, as mentioned in a YouTube video I watched a while back, people (particularly in shows/movies set before modern times) cutting ropes to set horses free, release a ship from its moorings, un-tieing a person, etc.This seems like not that big of a deal until you stop to think just how much time and effort would have gone into making a rope before machines came along, then you realize that people wouldn't be cutting ropes so freely, esp, if it was their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZfpQzV2GnM
it's true but also hilarious

Does that include the scene from Excalibur where Percival was hanging from the tree on the verge of death? I would think that would count as an exception to that trope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ropes breaking. This one may have been mentioned before. A rope is being used to haul something or keep a character from dying and they show it rubbing against something that is slowly cutting through the rope. Usually the rope breaks and whatever it was holding falls.
I always liked how tough it was to cut a heavy rope in "The Sand Pebbles," where Steve McQueen has a devil of time chopping through it. He starts chopping at about 2:01:45 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RqCuOpn7mY

When anything that makes a lot of sound is approaching and you hear nothing until it passes the camera from behind, then instantly makes ear-splitting sound.
I've never understood that...

When anything that makes a lot of sound is approaching and you hear nothing until it passes the camera from behind, then instantly makes ear-splitting sound.
I've never understood that...

It's meant to ratchet up the tension, make you expect whatever it is to come from that direction and then surprise/scare the hell of you by having it come unexpectedly from somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm tired of the "Let's go save the world." line. It's in every Will Smith movie pretty much. And on that note, I'm bored with the premise of most action/superhero movies where the fate of the entire world is at stake. Can't they just make a town or two be at stake? Or come up with some other catastrophic issue. The villain always has to throw in there that some gadget will destroy the universe, it's just overdone and frankly, hard to fathom .

Something that's been popping up recently that I'm quickly getting tired of is the acronym POTUS, it's used all the time on "The Last Ship" and I think it was used in "Batman vs. Superman" as well. Who actually uses that when talking about the President? Do people actually say, POTUS, as in POTUS is due in 10 minutes, POTUS wants to talk to us, etc.? What happened to just simply saying, the President?

Megan Fox seemed to go from "pretty" to "scary" overnight. :sick

The only thing scary is the fact she's still getting movie roles.
I think she's still drop dead gorgeous. However, much like Cara Delevingne, that pretty face does not automatically transfer into acting skills.

I wish these bigger budget movies focused on talent first, and ****abilty second.. Maybe we'd get better movies out of it.

When the good guy fills the room up with gas, and then the bad guy fires a bullet at the good guy, blowing himself up, but the good guy doesn't get shot.

Its not like the bullet is going to get blown up too.

I'm tired of the "Let's go save the world." line. It's in every Will Smith movie pretty much. And on that note, I'm bored with the premise of most action/superhero movies where the fate of the entire world is at stake. Can't they just make a town or two be at stake? Or come up with some other catastrophic issue. The villain always has to throw in there that some gadget will destroy the universe, it's just overdone and frankly, hard to fathom .

Agreed. It has gotten so overdone lately.

They could do a friggin' Happy Days remake and Fonzie would be saving the world at the end.

Something that's been popping up recently that I'm quickly getting tired of is the acronym POTUS, it's used all the time on "The Last Ship" and I think it was used in "Batman vs. Superman" as well. Who actually uses that when talking about the President? Do people actually say, POTUS, as in POTUS is due in 10 minutes, POTUS wants to talk to us, etc.? What happened to just simply saying, the President?
Well, it is his Twitter handle.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back