Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Case in point: Rene Zelwegger's (sp?) new face. Hugh Grant didn't recognise her picture.

I remember when "Love and a .45" came out. That girl could make a grown man cry. :love
She had such a recognizable, iconic face. Now she looks like... nobody. :(

Meg Ryan did it, too. She looks awful.

I'll tell you who I really respect:
Kathleen Turner.
Who among us didn't fall in love with that feisty little hottie in "Romancing The Stone"?
She got old and fat and just doesn't give a ****.

Last edited:
I remember when "Love and a .45" came out. That girl could make a grown man cry. :love
She had such a recognizable, iconic face. Now she looks like... nobody. :(

Meg Ryan did it, too. She looks awful.
What about Jennifer Grey? I heard she didn't get any acting roles after she had her nose job done, because nobody recognized her anymore. Apparently you CAN put baby in a corner after all...

Jennifer-Grey-in-Dirty-Dancing.jpgjennifer-grey.jpg

What about Jennifer Grey? I heard she didn't get any acting roles after she had her nose job done, because nobody recognized her anymore. Apparently you CAN put baby in a corner after all...

View attachment 657699View attachment 657700
Or, maybe she has been in movies but you didn't recognize her. I was actually disappointed when she got her nose job.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

That's really too bad. She was pretty, too. Now... meh.

“There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion."
Edgar Allan Poe

Last edited by a moderator:
Acting is such a horribly fickle business. One little bad quirk (like losing your quirk) can easily sink a career.

I've never wanted to be an actor. Being good at the job & working hard seems to have so little bearing on people's success or failure. You can struggle in poverty & work your arse off in that business for 20 years. None of that will help you as much as having the right size nose or being friends with the casting director's brother.

Last edited:
Yeah, she used the money she made to 'fix' what she thought of as a problem, but in fact it was her distinguishing feature that made her beautiful and recognisable.
I also think many actresses fall foul of the rigid perceived definition of acceptable Hollywood beauty, coupled with the fact that most of them use the same plastic surgeons, who all work within narrow parameters. Result? Not only do they alter the idiosyncratic features that make them uniquely beautiful, but they also all end up looking like clones.
We need to celebrate difference, embrace diversity and be proud of looking like yourself. From the petite to the tall, the curvy to the slender, from Kim K's voluptuous rear-end to Keira Knighly's Itty-Bitties.(and everyone else, the girly-girls and the tomboys, old young,...)
Besides, with more diverse actresses, there will hopefully be more diverse roles and characters.

Cosmetic work is more than just improving flaws though. For a lot of those people, looking younger means having a longer career.

Sure, actors can take a stand & reject cosmetic work . . . and the lighting & makeup & CGI artists will just be working that much harder to make them look good.

The business sells imagery. The imagery business is very critical of specific flaws. Actors' faces & figures are just one little example of the larger issue. One person's "flaw" is another person's "unique quirk". It's a matter of opinion what the difference is. And the same quirk can be viewed as a flaw on one person but an asset on another.

Jennifer Grey's unique nose was probably not fully appreciated (by anyone, herself or the rest of us) until we saw the results of eliminating it. These things can be hard to predict.

And TONS of actors will ostensibly appear "natural" just because they tweaked away their unique traits to a lesser degree. Most boobjobs & nosejobs & facelifts are not big obvious ones.

Last edited:
I read an interview years ago in which Rourke said it started when he had some corrective (not cosmetic) surgery to repair damage done to his nose during his attempt at a career in boxing, and during the consultation the doctor mentioned, "You know, while I'm in there we can also fix...". He said after that he got "hooked" on cosmetic surgery for a while, but eventually realized it was doing more harm than good.

I read an interview years ago in which Rourke said it started when he had some corrective (not cosmetic) surgery to repair damage done to his nose during his attempt at a career in boxing, and during the consultation the doctor mentioned, "You know, while I'm in there we can also fix...". He said after that he got "hooked" on cosmetic surgery for a while, but eventually realized it was doing more harm than good.

I remember reading the same thing.
It started with boxing.
And of course the plastic surgeon is going to recommend more surgery...
This is America, dammit! **** your face! I want MONEY!

Getting hooked on cosmetic surgery is very common and is how most folks get on that road to looking like that. The most infamous case of this (I think) is Michael Jackson (RIP). Even when warned that he had almost no skin left for his nose he kept going.

With so many horror stories one would think younger stars would get that message before they make the same mistake. Megan Fox, case and point.
Sure aging may not be "pretty". But it is still in general much prettier than a plastic face.

...And of course the plastic surgeon is going to recommend more surgery...
This is America, dammit! **** your face! I want MONEY!
It's not just "plastic" surgeons. In the mid-80s I had to have surgery to correct a deviated septum. During the pre-op consultation the surgeon suddenly started talking about how he could "fix" my nose (which was badly broken when I was six or seven years old) during the deviated septum surgery, and make it appear to be "medically necessary" on the paperwork so that my insurance would pay for it. :confused It took me a moment to realize what he was saying, but once I did the words "Hell no!" couldn't leave my mouth fast enough.

With so many horror stories one would think younger stars would get that message before they make the same mistake. Megan Fox, case and point.
Sure aging may not be "pretty". But it is still in general much prettier than a plastic face.
Megan Fox seemed to go from "pretty" to "scary" overnight. :sick

I can understand how people get out of control with nose surgeries.

If someone else draws a portrait of you with pencils, you can easily leave it alone. You didn't do it. It might not be perfect but you don't have trouble leaving it alone because it's someone else's work.

But if you start erasing & redrawing the nose . . . see if you can do that JUST ONE TIME and be happy with it. More likely you will keep messing with it a bunch of times. The dam is broken and it's no longer someone else's work, it's yours.

Eventually you may be looking at your handiwork, dissatisfied, and thinking the first or second try wasn't so bad after all . . . maybe you should have stopped earlier . . . hindsight is always 20/20 . . .

Michael Jackson is another matter. Extreme case. Compulsive addiction to cosmetic surgery. Judging by his death he was probably not only addicted to changing his face, he was addicted to the surgery process itself. He liked 'going under' and eventually overdid it.

Last edited:
The thing with actors and plastic surgery is that in a lot of cases their careers are based on their looks, this is especially true with women. Big time Hollywood actresses feel the need to maintain their good looks because, by and large, that's what gets them work and for most actresses it's hard to to continuously get roles throughout their career. Unlike their male counterparts women are generally most castable during 2 periods in their lives, when they're young in their 20s and maybe early 30s, then when they hit their 50s or 60s, in between the roles, at least the good ones, get to be few and far between. This is why many Hollywood starlets feel the need for plastic surgery, they feel the need to put off aging for as long as possible in order to maintain their careers.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back