Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Or use the toilet in general, unless it the movie is a comedy. They claimed this was going to be addressed on one season of "24", but they never did.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

They filmed a bit in season two of Keither pissing at the side of the road, but the studio wouldn't let them air it.

They filmed a bit in season two of Keither pissing at the side of the road, but the studio wouldn't let them air it.
All they had to do was show him leaving a bathroom after a commercial. Or just before a commercial show him grabbing someone and demanding, "Where's the toilet?!"

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

This has probably been mentioned before but I hate it when rotary cannons & mini-guns are made to sound like regular machine guns, or fast firing machine guns given a sort of generic machine gun sound. Rotary or Gatling guns have a very high rate of fire (RoF) which is the reason for the multiple barrels, it helps keep the gun's barrels from overheating and melting from all the rounds going through it, as a result it creates more of buzzing sound than the traditional machine gun sound. The same goes with all MGs with a high RoF, guns like the German MG42 were reported as sounding like a zipper or tearing cloth, and the modern M-240 also fires really fast and sounds similar to the old German MG42.

For that matter I hate it when every gunshot sounds exactly the same regardless of type, distance or surroundings.

Conversely I absolutely love it when someone takes great care to vary the sound not only between the weapons but for the same weapon in different settings (e.g. indoors vs. street).

Yeah I think most gunshot sounds are from a .45 caliber. I liked T2 where they redubbed the guns with the right calibers. But the hallway scene had outdoor sound fx for the shotgun, they said something like: "an indoor gunshot sounds like an explosion, which doesn't sound as cool as a gunshot in a canyon"

Tires squealing on dirt is a peeve, too. The Jeep in Jurassic World did that after they got the battery working. I've brought that up earlier in the thread but it fits in the sound fx category lol

It's called dramatic license. An action movie is not a documentary. Sure, sometimes it's laziness, but in cases like T2, which was sound edited and mixed at Skywalker Sound, whenever they used "wrong" sounds it was completely intentional.

Speaking of firearms indoors, JUST ONCE, I'd like to see a scene where someone shoots indoors and everyone is reeling from the insane level of noise that comes with it.
On a related note, one I just saw: People at a shooting range, putting on their ear-defenders and then carrying on the conversation in normal voices.
If you can hear each other that easily, then how are you protecting your ears from the noise?

On a related note, one I just saw: People at a shooting range, putting on their ear-defenders and then carrying on the conversation in normal voices.
If you can hear each other that easily, then how are you protecting your ears from the noise?

They could if they had electronic ear muffs on, but in most cases it's obvious they're not the electronic ones with the voice amplification capability.

When a film does take great care with its gun sound effects it can elevate an action scene. I'm thinking specifically of the bank robbery sequence in Heat where the sounds of the CARs firing downtown echoing off the buildings heightened the sense of space and reality. That may or may not be how actual 5.56 may sound in that setting but I knew it wasn't just ripped from a soundboard.

Speaking of firearms indoors, JUST ONCE, I'd like to see a scene where someone shoots indoors and everyone is reeling from the insane level of noise that comes with it.
Although I've noticed films lately are simulating transient tinnitus that comes after an unexpected close quarters gunshot. e.g. Fury Road when the Furiosa discharges the Glock near Max's head. I think it's a trend right now.

- - - Updated - - -

They could if they had electronic ear muffs on, but in most cases it's obvious they're not the electronic ones with the voice amplification capability.
I love my Peltors. Worth every penny

Bruce Willis under the table in Die Hard, he lost a lot of his permanent hearing in that scene.

This is more of an animation thing than live action but I hate it whenever someone gets taken prisoner and they're allowed to keep any armor they're wearing along with misc. gear that they might have with their armor. Although they're (presumably) searched for and removed of any weapons and other useful items, it just looks stupid to see someone sitting in a cell all geared up and ready for action like they weren't prisoners.

On a related note, there's the old trope where a character, usually our hero, who has a special gizmo/doodad that gets taken from then when taken prisoner or losing it in a fight but later on are seen with it back in their possession although we' never see them recovering it and it seems like that there wasn't time to retrieve it either.

I have a problem when some person in a position of great power (e.g. world leader) has really lousy security. This came up with the latest season of The Last Ship. I think the series is pretty great but this season the team was able to break into the home of the Chinese president and get him to issue some orders at gunpoint. I won't get into how easy it was for them to insert themselves into his mansion. I asked myself would it have been as plausible to depict a Chinese team getting into the White House and threatening our president at gunpoint to issue orders? Not bloody likely. Granted, in The Last Ship, the world is pretty much in shambles so it's a little more plausible but then the president lets them go and orders his staff to forget this ever happened.

This is more of an animation thing than live action but I hate it whenever someone gets taken prisoner and they're allowed to keep any armor they're wearing along with misc. gear that they might have with their armor. Although they're (presumably) searched for and removed of any weapons and other useful items, it just looks stupid to see someone sitting in a cell all geared up and ready for action like they weren't prisoners.

On a related note, there's the old trope where a character, usually our hero, who has a special gizmo/doodad that gets taken from then when taken prisoner or losing it in a fight but later on are seen with it back in their possession although we' never see them recovering it and it seems like that there wasn't time to retrieve it either.
Or all their gear is conveniently kept in a locker in the next room so when they bust out it's all there.

But, as with every other kind of contrivance, if the film is very good I have no problem overlooking it. e.g. in Guardians of the Galaxy when they bust out of the Kyln all their gear is stored in rotating lockers next to the cell block. Or in Captain America: The Winter Soldier after the freeway fight when Cap, Widow and Falcon are captured by the SHIELD Strike team - did they store Cap's shield and Falcon's wings in the same vehicle that was transporting them? All that gear certainly wasn't in the front of the vehicle with the driver so it must have been in the compartment with the prisoners - which is really poor form for a SHIELD Strike team.

Those were great films so I have no problem forgetting I noticed those holes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back