Things you're tired of seeing in movies

.... or when a person is dragged behind a horse or vehicle but can later get into a fistfight (Raiders is forgiven only because the sheer awesomeness of the rest of the film overwhelms this one weakness). Getting dragged is like putting your body against a belt sander with a 20 grit belt.

DEF Pass for Raiders... And of course "Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold"! Who doesn't get dragged behind a train from time to time? ;)

But he should only be able to do it before he is taken to civilization and educated. Once he knows the laws of physics, that leap will kill him! #WileECoyote
Maybe. But he also knows he's survived it before in spite of his ignorance of physics, and probably will again. :D

I want warp speed to start taking time again I space flicks.

Remember how the enterprise was always 4 days until the neutral zone? I want that back. It's more dramatic that way.

Same goes for star wars.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Bad guy using some exotic/proprietary ammo which the hero IDs by markings on the brass.
They might as well use their daily driver as a getaway car.

The super cool "running knee slide under the car/sword/punch/object" that shows up constantly in fight scenes. Really? Really?!? Did someone Crisco the floor where the fight was going to happen, so it's a near friction-less surface?

Last edited:
I want warp speed to start taking time again I space flicks.

Remember how the enterprise was always 4 days until the neutral zone? I want that back. It's more dramatic that way.

Same goes for star wars.

I tend to agree with this... Star Wars is one of those exceptions because unlike Star Trek, SW is really nothing more than a space opera/western that is nowhere based in reality. I can forgive the time vs distance element. :)

Maybe at the end of Episode 7 Luke wasn't really that far away. Maybe it was just a place they hadn't thought to look yet.
TFA was the worst of the bunch. So...the star killer base is In a different system than the new republic...yet it fires a sub-light laser beam to destroy the new republic in seconds.......WHILE han solo watche this all happen from another planet?

Bad guy using some exotic/proprietary ammo which the hero IDs by markings on the brass.
They might as well use their daily driver as a getaway car.
It's one of many things about cop shows that I can't stand. They cannot ID a bullet or brass from a pistol nearly as easily as those shows would lead you to think. Especially with brass, the ejector will often leave the same marks as another pistol made in the same timeframe, if each has minimal wear.

I think I already mentioned hearing folex sound effects of things/people hundreds of yards away being viewed through binoculars/scopes.

Along those lines, characters in a cave or other large echoey area. They're being stealthy or secretive and are whispering to each other...and their whispers still create an echo. If you can hear your echo, then everyone else in the cave can hear you too. So much for stealth.

I think I already mentioned hearing folex sound effects of things/people hundreds of yards away being viewed through binoculars/scopes.

Along those lines, characters in a cave or other large echoey area. They're being stealthy or secretive and are whispering to each other...and their whispers still create an echo. If you can hear your echo, then everyone else in the cave can hear you too. So much for stealth.

Sound mixing/FX are getting increasingly objectionable these days in action flicks. They do way too much clubbing you over the head with intense sounds with no concern for realism.

A character will break a bad guy's arm while they are positioned 50 feet away from the camera in the middle of a crowded city street . . . and it will sound like a celery stick breaking 2 inches away from the microphone in a quiet room.

I think the public would like an audio setting option on DVDs/Blu-rays for "quiet home listening". Make the spoken dialogue & important sounds louder compared to the sound effects & music, and generally decrease the spread between the quietest & loudest sounds.

(I know there are some devices/software/etc for the latter issue. I've never tried one that worked very well and many don't seem to do anything at all. The way to do this is a different baseline audio mix on the disc itself.)

Yeah, it's the mixer and the director who are supposed to be on top of this stuff. The sound effects editor is going to give everything a sound, loud and clear on the stem. It's what he's there to do. It's up to the other guys to decide what to emphasize, deemphasize, use, or not use.

Sound people crack me up, always having to justify their jobs by putting sound to things you'd never hear in real life.
Then sometimes they put the wrong sounds to things that are obvious wrong. Case in point, in Saving Private Ryan, you hear railroad brakes on a self-propelled gun that just got hit with a bazooka rocket fired by Horvath... Anyone who's spent time around trains laughed at that scene when they saw the movie in theaters.

How about in baseball movies, the fast ball signal from the catcher is always just one finger, usually the trigger finger or sometimes the middle one?

Sound people crack me up, always having to justify their jobs by putting sound to things you'd never hear in real life.
Then sometimes they put the wrong sounds to things that are obvious wrong. Case in point, in Saving Private Ryan, you hear railroad brakes on a self-propelled gun that just got hit with a bazooka rocket fired by Horvath... Anyone who's spent time around trains laughed at that scene when they saw the movie in theaters.
Or when a guy with a semiauto shoots dry and as he presses the trigger it goes "click-click" like it was a revolver or something.

or how every punch thrown has to sound like a side of beef hit by a sledgehammer.

or how every punch thrown has to sound like a side of beef hit by a sledgehammer.
If you ever want to see an accurate portrayal of a fight on screen, just watch almost any western movie before 1945. In those fights, they roll around, punches flay around and miss each other several times, and the fighters don't do much damage. That's pretty much most of the real fights I have ever seen. And the sound was pretty accurate as well, back then.

When a person gets machine-gunned he's shaking like a rag doll as rounds pepper his body and his head is bobbles around comically. He only drops after the shooting stops as if the bullets were keeping him standing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back