Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Perfect apocalypse makeup and hair and perfectly shaven beards in zombie films, and girls who sleep in full and obvious make up - at least try for some sort of natural makeup look for sleep scenes.
Don't forget that even after weeks/months out in the wild, those women have perfectly shaven armpits, legs and "bikini-zones".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Don't forget that even after weeks/months out in the wild, those women have perfectly shaven armpits, legs and "bikini-zones".

That falls under another topic for me...

• Things you're grateful for seeing in movies

Sure, I don't contest that. But it's unrealistic. I wonder how they'd have done it if the protagonist of Castaway had been a woman.

With the right actor that could actually be quite compelling. I'm not kidding.

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but it bugs me (seen more often in TV shows clearly budget-saving) Bad "day-for-night" effect. No, I don't believe it's night-time, it's clearly a dark filter because the background clear, is there are strong shadows or bright-lit clouds and (here's the worst one) that fire/torch/light is clearly darker than it should be (because: filter)

The DFN stuff is getting way too light in the recent home disc editions Jaws. I showed the movie to my 20-something girlfriend for the first time and I had to explain that it was supposed to be after dark in those scenes. It's hurting the believability of the footage.

With the movie being such a classic, and limited amount of DFN footage, this would seem like a prime candidate for some CGI fixing. Not just darkening the look of the film but manually altering the footage in the scenes to look more convincing. The improvement could be great if they didn't overdo it.

Last edited:
This has been bugging me more in TV than in film lately (Arrow, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow), but:

Two good guys/gals spar/fight because one is trying to get the other to push themselves/achieve/get over a funk, etc. Usually liberally sprinkled with corny "you are the key to unleashing your own potential" type garbage dialogue.

It's action for the sake of action. There is no weight, no stakes to the fight, because it isn't really a fight. It's so friggin' false drama.

few years after the apoclypse some survivors find a car wich would be nice to get along. ofcourse it starts on first try with years old gas in pipes and the battery is ofcourse fully charged.

ON that note...

Cars that never get banged up...EVER in a movie or show.

Heroes that drive awesome cars that get destroyed in the film....it's a cliche. As soon as someone shows up with a sports car, hot rod, muscle car or something they (re)built, you know it's going to be blown up, smashed, or shot up. In some cases all of the above.

Protagonists that live WELL above their means for the job they have in the film/show...mostly this is the apartment or house they live in.

Fist fights in which no one ever gets tired or is still swinging at full speed and strength after being pummeled full force in the face. Also not having broken hands after applying said pummeling. Superhero films get a free pass on this one but otherwise, more "realistic" fights... no chance.

mm.

It may have already been listed (I haven't read all 13 pages of posts) but I'm starting to really despise the cheesy, forced, punch-line delivered after the hero character has just killed somebody.
Like James Bond delivering a muttered quip to himself after killing a cartoonish henchman or Murtaugh laughing and saying "he's been de-kaffernated!" after crushing a south-african racist to death in Lethal Weapon 2, or 3.

I just don't believe that really killing another human being will never result in a sudden flash of humour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the beginning of the first "Men in Black" last night and it reminded me of one, but I think it is more technical limitation. You have an alien or someone with super abilities like spider man going up the side of the building at a fast rate. You can tell the stunt person is trying to make it look like they are using their hands and feet to climb but are more concerned with keeping from getting road rash by being dragged along the side of that building because they are being hauled up by a crane. The guy last night was just using his finger tips.

I feel like this one was mentioned, but here goes anyway. Caught the end of "Oblivion" last night, just as he is about to blow up the ship (If you have not seen it yet, tough). It blows up and... there is a ring from the explosion! Why do these guys keep adding some weird ring when there is an explosion in space?

oblivion_11.jpg

I feel like this one was mentioned, but here goes anyway. Caught the end of "Oblivion" last night, just as he is about to blow up the ship (If you have not seen it yet, tough). It blows up and... there is a ring from the explosion! Why do these guys keep adding some weird ring when there is an explosion in space?

View attachment 598832

Probably because Lucas had ILM add a ring to the Death Star explosion when he did the SEs and after that everybody and their two friends thought that was cool and was that all explosions in space should be done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back