$1 store toy gun prop hybrids

GhostCinderella

Bought a buncha toy guns from a $1-$2 store, cut'em up, mixed and matched parts, added some tips and ends, laid down some fancy decorative metal bling.... painted the suckers and whloolah.....

Kinda cheese... but then again guns aren't my thing really.

Bodice1.jpg

Executioner4.jpg

Alabama4.jpg

That is a great finish on them! I really like the Greek letter one, though the one with the barrel that leans down looks like you're aiming to shoot people in the crotch.

I love the paint and finish! Quality stuff all around. The decorations and greek letters are particularly inspired. And great bang for the buck!

These crits are only as a gun person, and may or may not be relevant to what you are making.

1st my fave: Revolver with hose-connector silencer. The only things I don't like with this guy are the two screws up top that keep you from aiming and jam up the Iver-Johnson style top break. I would also remove the screw from the silencer and replace it with a needle or something equivalent for a nice front sight.

2nd: Shotgun with stock removed and replaced with automatic handgun. Pretty cool. The slide is strange and out of place and none of the barrels line up with it considering you turned the tube magazine into a 2nd barrel right?. If it's a kind of raygun thing all I would say is hide the magazine, destroy the slide and add a foregrip. I'm guessing you ripped the foregrip off the shotgun? Modify that and it should still fit pretty good thematically.

3rd: Front half of rifle attached to top of automatic handgun. This one needs the most work. It's got way to much modern stuff, the scope, the automatic slide. Other fundamental problems like the barrels not lining up or that firing the handgun part would wreck the rifle barrel. Honestly for a rifle/carbine kind of approach I think this guy would be better served by cracking the thing back into it's separate halves and putting it back together similar to your shotgun mod.

My biggest piece of advice is to remove the automatics slides and fancy high capacity magazines before doing anything with them. They just don't fit in anything pre-1900 and look too distinctive to not stick out like a sore thumb. And if you leave them there as functional parts, it starts to get pretty strange when barrels don't line up or seem to be 3x the caliber of your rounds.

Nice. Good way to get some bash practice in and experiment with paint schemes.

There was a swap meet(before dollar stores came about) when I was in high school and occationally I would go there to buy cheap ray guns and do something similar.

I totally agree with sigma's crits if I"m being as picky as I would be with my own work. Aesthetics and function are really closely tied with weapons, esp if you're basing work off of real world guns.

But you prefaced the fact that you're not a gun gal or guy, and damn, these are just too much fun. I love the vibe you have going between the big clunky shapes that nonetheless remain free of random, unnecessary greebles. The embellishments (esp. that lettering!) are super cool, and the finish is really beautiful!

I"d just say keep going a little further to modify/disguise the original gun designs a bit further. Obviously if you don't know your stuff, the key, identifying features are gonna be harder for you to recognize, so just keep mixing and matching. =)

Great work, rock on!

Oh, the ex-shotgun is my personal fave. =)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back