Battlestar Galactica (NEW FILM)

Not much news, but I guess that it's still in the works is news. This makes me wonder, if the movie does well enough, will they bring back BSG to the backlot tour at Universal Studios? Obviously not the original but a new version based on this new movie. Sadly, even if they do knowing Universal it will be just another 3D screen projection thing like Fast and the Furious and King Kong.

Just the fact that it is actively being worked on is good news for me. So sad that Richard Hatch won't be here to be a part of it. Let's hope that they make some quick progress and get this thing fast tracked!

Sorry to be the debbie downer but now that Richard AND Glen are gone, that ship has sailed

Didn't many of us say the exact same thing in 2002, when the new BSG series was announced with zero involvement from Hatch and Larson (and, in fact, expressly ended Hatch's own efforts at a grass-roots revival of the series)? I seem to remember that turning out pretty well overall, what with that Emmy Award-winning, Peabody Award-winning series that ran from 2003 to 2008.

M

Sorry to be the debbie downer but now that Richard AND Glen are gone, that ship has sailed

Didn't that ship sail in 2002 when somebody decided Battlestar Galactica should be a soap opera?

I hope whoever's behind this movie steers BSG back to it's space-combat action roots.
This has HUGE potential for the kind of franchise everybody seems to be scrambling for in Marvel's wake.
If they do this right, it could be bigger than Star Wars.

I thought I was the only one who did not like the new BSG. I watched for about six episodes and was too bored to go any further.

No--- No you are not alone. I struggled through it. Bored to tears. Dialogue, story... *shudder*

Not to dump on anyone who likes it. I've no issue if anyone does.

Cool upgraded ships and FX though!

And if there's a movie with some actual interesting story line to it, I'd be more than glad to pay to see it.

Yeah,

Plus I've been watching the original again on METV,
The whole heart of BG... basically Mormons in space, paternal, mythical, biblical, family.

I just wish they would have called the new one something else, it might have left the door open.
But I suppose there is no way that would be presented today anyways I guess.

No some were horrified by what that Series did.

For me it was a HUGE wasted opportunity, the first 2 seasons were all right and the rest just took a nosedive and crashed and burned. :unsure

Didn't many of us say the exact same thing in 2002, when the new BSG series was announced with zero involvement from Hatch and Larson (and, in fact, expressly ended Hatch's own efforts at a grass-roots revival of the series)? I seem to remember that turning out pretty well overall, what with that Emmy Award-winning, Peabody Award-winning series that ran from 2003 to 2008.

M

I didn't even make it through the first episode of Nu-BSG. I bailed after the fembot murdered the infant, although I found that distasteful, that isn't why I turned it off. it was that BLASTED kids-with-a-camcorder armature-hour camera work that made me leave, as it was giving me a headache! The movie industry spent decades, and millions of dollars finding ways of eliminating shaky camera work, and some people go do nausea-cam on purpose because they think it looks more 'real'. IT DOESN'T!!

David.

If it's not connected to either of the series, then I'm curious about how they plan to tell the story in 2+ hours. the story seems much better suited to a TV series than feature films.

Probably just like the first two-hour episodes of each of the original series and the reboot. Start just before the attack, show the attack and its aftermath, show some big conflict/new setting that happens as they embark on their journey, and end with the fleet searching for earth, thereby setting up the (hoped-for) sequels. I certainly don't see them finding Earth in the film, as that would effectively destroy the "come back to see what happens next" potential.

Which is one of the main reasons why I (or, I would suspect, most of the people who have spoken up in this thread) wouldn't see a point to it. It's a retelling of an origin story that's already been told twice before - so the only way to make it interesting is to add some new facets or changes (which nu-BSG did, and apparently no one in this thread liked.)

M

I want them to assume that this will be a franchise and end the first movie on a cliffhanger. Then end the second movie on a cliffhanger.
Make every movie just like The Empire Strikes Back.
The world of Battlestar Galactica is perfect for the kind of throw-back serialized storytelling GL was going for with Star Wars.
But please, please, please invest in some art/production design this time. Show me a pic of some guy in a 20th century suit and tie holding a Glock and I'm out.

Interesting coincidence: This just showed up in my "recommended" list.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back