Well, it looks like they made an updated version of Luke's ROTJ saber for TFA...

So based on the reflection, the hole ring IS thicker and the line that looked like a reflection is just an artifact of lathing or something? Because the red on that ring makes me see thick ring again.

Not necessarily. As @E Williams stated, the red light would reflect as well. I'm not saying for sure that it's not a taller ring with a lathed groove in the center of it's height but it still could be a shorter ring that is reflected onto the main largest ring.

Hell, I could whip up both versions (sans the 16 holes) on my lathe and set them up at the same angle and possibly similar lighting and take pics of both to see what we get. I would of course need to polish the largest main ring for the one I make that has the shortest ring with holes.

One last quick update to post, I redid the recessed area from 4mm to 2mm -- Here is an image to show the changes.

Saber match up.png

Even though my 16 holes are a little on the wide side ( I have them at 2mm, I could go with 1mm and be closer to the reference).

Either way, whatever Anakin Starkiller's final design ends up being, I think it is going to be a great addition to any ones Saber collection.

Later

Oslm

One last quick update to post, I redid the recessed area from 4mm to 2mm -- Here is an image to show the changes.

View attachment 613884

Even though my 16 holes are a little on the wide side ( I have them at 2mm, I could go with 1mm and be closer to the reference).

Either way, whatever Anakin Starkiller's final design ends up being, I think it is going to be a great addition to any ones Saber collection.

Later

Oslm

I think the recessed hole is more like 25mm in diameter with the main largest ring (not the ring with the 16 holes) being 50mm in diameter. That would make the 16 holes more like 2 to 3 mm (maybe 2.5mm?).

I say recessed all the way, and that the disc containing the holes is angled inward as has been recently suggested.

To illustrate, here is a quick cross-section I whipped up in PowerPoint:

TFA%20Emitter%20Head_zpsyefytink.jpg~original

Attachments

• TFA Emitter Head.jpg
    TFA Emitter Head.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 73
After following this thread... I'd like to get in on this run, this one looks like fun!

RE the idea that the ring is beveled... I don't think that can be right, because if the holes are drilled into a beveled surface, round holes should distort into ellipses - and at any angle except head-on, you shouldn't see the same shape going all the way around the ring.

As Cayman Shen points out, the red lit frame gives you a better ability to interpret the angles, and that image reads to me like a thicker ring.

I don't think the inner-most ring can be raised - seems to me like it would have to be recessed, or else the center-post is off-center, which it seems reasonable to discount.

The suggestion was thrown out a few pages back, and it matches what I was thinking - we've been assuming that this is what Luke has when Rey finds him at the end of the movie, but he doesn't seem to have any lightsaber with him at that point. This could have been made for him to be carrying in the flashback, where it makes more sense that he would be armed - it doesn't show in the movie, but they may not have known how that would be shot or edited.

To help better show what ARKM is talking about, here is a change I made to my images by adding the red light.

View attachment 613913

This should hopefully help out with making the final choice.

Later

Oslm

Sorry. I know you're leaning towards the second option, but I'm still a firm believer in "recessed". The nipple looks way too short with Option B, and there's no way that a raised edge wouldn't catch the light even if painted black, and there is no such edge highlight in the pics we have.

The only thing I'm still wondering is whether the disc with holes is beveled inwards or not. I think there's a good chance it is, and do think that the hole at the 3-o'clock position has the most true-round shape, as it should if it were angled inward towards the viewer.

View attachment 613884

Later

Oslm

can you bevel the ring of holes inward, with a raised ridge right before the recess?
like this, except the inside rim pops back up again!

http://www.romanprops.com/stlemt4

OH yeah ! look at that ! Sadly I don't remember it getting any screen time :( But I like the obi wan look they added nice little detail .
Unfortunately it didn't have any screen time at all. Just in the special features on the Blu-ray.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

can you bevel the ring of holes inward, with a raised ridge right before the recess?
like this, except the inside rim pops back up again!

http://www.romanprops.com/stlemt4

Not sure if you wanted it flush with the outer ring or slightly raised, so I did the raised version.

Saber bevelled ring.png

The link shows it as fitting onto the inner edge and most likely being flush mounted. So I made the piece sitting 3mm above the main ring.

Later

Oslm

I think if anything it should be a single bevel, not a bevel leading down to a flat ring. If that makes any sense.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back