Luke ESB light saber

The screws from the Exactra Calculators are quite small and have an 'x' ... so I'll be using those ... when the time comes ;)

Chaim

Does anyone know of a good source for the patterned silver tape, that covers the Graflex brand?
LukeESB-01_zps48eba847.jpg

Last edited:
Just looking at this image, noticed the Kobold clip appears to be the other way round from what I was expecting?
Rare-LFL-Lucasfilm-Archives-Movie-Prop-Lost-Photos-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones-Historic-Visit-Original-Prop-Blog-074-2_zps03eef8ea.jpg

I like the textured tape better. When I had an ESB saber years ago, I had some I purchased from Blastech, then John ran the business as Yodashouse.. Man that was back in the day. Anyway, I haven't seen any available since he sold it. I'd like to score a piece of it myself. I like it better than the thin tape, screen accuracy aside.

I am the same way lol. I built my ESB saber back in 99/00 I think, I haven had the heart to replace the textured tape with the smooth. It has since been the "Hoth" version :lol

Well apparantly Lucas himself liked the structured tape ... hence he had it used on Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber in Revenge of the Sith :

(Picture Courtesy Rebelscum via google)

So ... if you like it so much ... go ahead and use it ... just don't ask us whether it's screen-accurate since sofar the general consensus is : no it's not! ;)
And personally I like the brandname G R A F L E X on the side of the clamp ... gives some history to the prop ... and it makes you wonder where did Anakin shop for his parts to construct a new lightsaber? :)

Chaim

Skip to the 01:10 mark of this video to see how much of a rat's *ss Lucas gives about the details of this prop. :rolleyes :lol

http://www.starwars.com/video/one-world-two-movies

Ha,ha,ha I know ... to bad I could not find a sarcasm emoticon that quickly ;) Still the basic structure of 'tape', now with 'tiny piramides' for better lack of discription, was used by the propmaker who constructed Anakin's lightsaber.

Chaim

Yes, i like the textured tape better but more so, because its already on there and I just havent replaced it after the new info came out (yes its been on there THAT long). If if mAkes you feel any better I have bought the replacement tape at leastl so I am at least halfway there:lol

The rest of it matched the "Hoth" version at the time so I left it as is.

Got some screws from Tom today they look great, the heads are pretty much spot on in terms of size with the exactras.
DSCF4892.JPG
Do have a question though, re the Kobold clip - I picked up some 1/8 by 3/8 rivets which I thought would work on this the head is a fraction too large to fit the screw holes. Have any of you used any smaller rivets or faced this issue and simply enlarged the holes?

I hope they fit on the side of some T track. they definitely fit on Gino's, I found a tiny specific size that fits on yours, but they're torx heads.

Good question on the rivets. *sits back* :popcorn

Well I have the UK rivets which I used for my Luke ANH D-ring but those ar slightly to large for ESB so luckily my dad has some rivets stashed in a slightly smaller size, so I have 2 of those reserved for my Luke ESB Kobold D-ring clip. I just don't know the exact technical specifics . . . . sorry :wacko

Chaim

Looks great, Marv. How did you resolve fitting the rivets into holes, did you drill them wider or find smaller rivets?

I forget, is that a real Kobold piece you've got there?

Yes it's a real Kobold clip. I ended up enlarging the holes and going with the 3mm rivets. The smaller ones wouldn't have looked too small.

Good call on the rivets, I'll keep that in mind. Sourcing a clip may be hard to do.

On an unrelated note - this may go nowhere - but I picked up a second job and the building is equipped with 1960s Otis Elevators. I've started a dialogue with the maintenance guys to see if they have (or are throwing out) any extra parts..

I've gotten a hold of some Otis elevator boards upon thd9791's suggestion, and they have the correct pins. I was hoping to use them as trading fodder for good calculator bubbles before I sell off any spares.

otis boards-1.jpg

Good find!!!! �� hope your trades are worthwhile

Also: hold onto the board scrap. I'd like to eventually find out the pcb manufacturer, official Otis part No. & Name, etc. I'm holding onto mine for the logos and information soldered and printed into the pcb, for historical sake and future research.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back