ESB Luke Skywalker Lightsaber Mylar Tape Question

BillyTheKid

Hey everybody, I'm still in the process of creating my spot on Luke ESB Lightsaber replica. My next question to anybody that knows is what the correct mylar tape to use around the middle band. I've seen replicas and actual movie footage of the saber with both the Textured tape and the thin smooth tape. Which is considered the standard???

This is really confusing and I really want to get my vintage Graflex into a correct movie Luke ESB saber.

Thankyou for any info you can give me.

Hi there,

The thin smooth tape is definately accurate for sure ... the textured mylar tape might have been added post production, probably for the Magic of Myth exhibit but this is still a bit of a mystery to me too.

And post some pictures of your WIP of your vintage graflex lightsaber build ... there's always an audience and lots of folks will chime in with their fond memories when they built their first graflex based lightsaber :)

-Chaim

Here you see the textured mylar tape whilest the saber is at the MoM exhibit :

Has this been seen on screen? I'm not certain ... perhaps someone could prove this with a screenshot from the blurays DVD . . . which I don't have for lack of a Bluray DVD player.

-Chaim

Sym-Cha, Thankyou for your insight. I was leaning towards the thin mylar tape, but saw the MoM version and was conflicted. I also thought that I saw one of the Master replicas Luke ESB sabers with the textured tape, but it could have been my mistake. Thankyou kindly :)

The thick textured Mylar tape is not seen on screen. It was probably added post production.

Not to say there wasn't a stunt saber that had it during production, but it's never seen on screen or in any behind the scenes shots.

If you're going for accuracy, thin shiny Mylar tape is it.

Hi there,

And post some pictures of your WIP of your vintage graflex lightsaber build ... there's always an audience and lots of folks will chime in with their fond memories when they built their first graflex based lightsaber :)

-Chaim

As I'm closer and closer to securing a contract at work, and then starting on some "new to props - lightsaber builds", I was considering if it was worth putting the work up as a thread... for insight/suggestions.

Since I was going to be bugging you anyway, Chaim, I'm glad to read your suggestion for posting WIP!

Man, I really want to get going on these...

TCSS seemed to run dry of this-- I know current opinion says it wasn't actually used on screen.

BUT-- I found a pretty ding dang close (and cheap) source...

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Lure-Tape-Silver-Hammered-Texture-P3278.aspx

tape.jpg

Last edited:
I always liked the textured tape better. That's what I used on my ESB saber way back when I had one. It was in the conversion kit from Yodashouse, later blastech.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back