Luke ESB light saber

hey gang im back! this is where i bump my head, u can see here on the linhof flash there is a raised oval shape with a screw on the right side

IMAG0009.jpg

sorry for the size, now in this photo
Ranch_007-vi_zpsceb150bc.jpg

though it is upside down, i think we should be able to see a hole, or even the threaded end of the screw inside the kobold

i just wish we had a good picture of the right side of the hero saber, that way we can rule out the oval edge

every picture ive seen so far i cant see the right side :(

That's just a metal plate. Either side of the screw are two holes which have ball bearings to help grip the flash pan, the picture you have has the D-ring going one of those holes.
The plate keeps the bearings in place.

That's just a metal plate. Either side of the screw are two holes which have ball bearings to help grip the flash pan, the picture you have has the D-ring going one of those holes.
The plate keeps the bearings in place.

genius! so most likely they unscrewed the crew and removed the oval plate, installed the d-ring and never put the plate back on?!

Probe Droid said:
This reportedly is from the Lucas Archives, but I can't vouch.

http://img251.imagevenue.com/loc127/..._122_127lo.jpg

I'm confused (it happens easily). Are you interested in the D-ring or the flash shoe thingie? I have a copy of the flash piece from--I think--Blastech (not sure he's still around). I can photograph it for you.

Enjoy the graduation.

tried sending u a pm, but ur inbox was full

Sorry about that chief. Just deleted some older stuff. Try again.

genius! so most likely they unscrewed the crew and removed the oval plate, installed the d-ring and never put the plate back on?!

Yea, they most likely drilled another hole on the other side and fitted in a d ring. The ball bearings are news to me, glad to understand more.

I actually just found an old message in my inbox from sym-cha notifying me of an auction listing for a metal kobold replica years ago. I don't think it was a parks so there might be some others out there..

Yea, they most likely drilled another hole on the other side and fitted in a d ring. The ball bearings are news to me, glad to understand more.

I actually just found an old message in my inbox from sym-cha notifying me of an auction listing for a metal kobold replica years ago. I don't think it was a parks so there might be some others out there..

where do u guys find the old kobold flashs? ive been looking on ebay using "kobold" and "kobold flash" and i dont seem to find anything

what did the kobold actually do? it too was a flashlight of some sort?

i found the resin kobold but it looks too raw to get any true measurements off it

The kobold flashguns have become quite rare on ebay and also rather expensive nowadays ... you just need to keep looking for them and start saving in the meantime ... $300 is quite the norm :wacko ... and they are equipment to make flash photo's together with a flashbulb and reflector dish attached through the clamp, which is the part you seek ;)

Chaim

The kobold flashguns have become quite rare on ebay and also rather expensive nowadays ... you just need to keep looking for them and start saving in the meantime ... $300 is quite the norm :wacko ... and they are equipment to make flash photo's together with a flashbulb and reflector dish attached through the clamp, which is the part you seek ;)

Chaim

you a truly a lightsaber historian Chaim, i appreciate all your help threw this! im going to keep my eyes open that way if i find one i can just hand it over to lou to go along with the CAD drawings

hes called me every day since lol, joking with me "when am i going to start these lightsaber parts?!" lol

I have a defect MR FX here alas without bottom and clamp but the FX is a lot fatter than a regular graflex perhaps the non-FX might be a little bit more accurate? :wacko . . . and yes you are going kobold crazy ... perhaps a snowwhite and some dwarfs could settle your nerves? ;)

Chaim

The MR Luke ESB is not up to scale to an original ... I know since I have a defect MR here alas without bottom and clamp but it's a lot fatter than a regular graflex ... and then they say MR may have had access to the original :wacko . . . and yes you are going kobold crazy ... perhaps a snowwhite and some dwarfs could settle your nerves? ;)

Chaim

LOL aaah yes! you know the kid in the video didnt know much, i found it funny that ive only been on here a few weeks, i dont own any sabers yet but have studied more then he did. all the questions he asked in his video i had the answers for, thankfully to you chaim and this site!!

but one question the kid did bring up was why the size was so much larger then another anikans saber

they do look sick though!!

so glad this site is so friendly i look forward now to hearing from my new group of friends, and love learning about the old school props and what was used

i tell ya i lose allot of sleep thanks to this site, im up all night reading threw old threads

I realised that the guy was showing a MR non-functional lightsaber so I altered my comment just a bit, nonetheless ... if you purchase a MR Luke ESB it might still be a little more fat than a real graflex ... as for comparing between the both sabers I can tell you when Lucas was shown Anakin's saber he approved of it being like Luke's while there's a world of difference ... just shows, although GL always has a keen eye for continuity, when the sabers are wielded so fast in battle or just hardly shown being worn, GL was not bothered at all ;) ... also a lot of people who are getting into lightsabers expect them to look prestine when first purchased ... however the real screen-used lightsabers look awefully worn and mostly scratched in real life and that's what makes them great ... for the weathering and used-future appearance ... keep that in mind when gathering vintage parts ;)

Chaim

I've always had a hard time with that... before I got into the whole prop world, I was big on restorations. So while I LOVE the look of weathered props, losing that need to have them looking right off the assembly line has been tough.

Thusly my ANH is as close to clean as I could get, while my ESB is allowed to look a little crappy.

I bought a weathered Vader MOM on a graflex reborn that I want to rebuild and re weather (I don't like the black gloss paint currently on it), but I'm also trying to get the rest of the parts to do an "As first built" version on a graflex as well.

I realised that the guy was showing a MR non-functional lightsaber so I altered my comment just a bit, nonetheless ... if you purchase a MR Luke ESB it might still be a little more fat than a real graflex ... as for comparing between the both sabers I can tell you when Lucas was shown Anakin's saber he approved of it being like Luke's while there's a world of difference ... just shows, although GL always has a keen eye for continuity, when the sabers are wielded so fast in battle or just hardly shown being worn, GL was not bothered at all ;) ... also a lot of people who are getting into lightsabers expect them to look prestine when first purchased ... however the real screen-used lightsabers look awefully worn and mostly scratched in real life and that's what makes them great ... for the weathering and used-future appearance ... keep that in mind when gathering vintage parts ;)

Chaim

exactly! thats what i too like about the sabers, obiwans old rusty saber, lukes ESB saber has seen some wear and tear, i LOVE the original saber in the ranch, that is super cool, with all the rusted parts... this is wear the prequel kinda killed it for me, the shiny vintage sabers, with all the gold on them... i understand where GL was aiming at but i just never cared for it...

i am a die hard when it comes to screen used stuff, but its so hard in the starwars movies because there was never really any consistency... which as long as i can make it look like the saber in that one scene, im happy

im shooting for the Lukes ESB saber in the wampa cave... you can see it up close and shes pretty beat

one thing that upset me was in ROTS anikans saber was approved by george but u can clearly see its different! even to my novice eyes i can pick up the differences.... so now its like what happened? did anikans saber break threw the 19 yrs of obiwan hiding? and obiwan fixed it up with spare parts of his own? (the glass calculator bubbles for example)

that stuff erks me lol

- - - Updated - - -

I've always had a hard time with that... before I got into the whole prop world, I was big on restorations. So while I LOVE the look of weathered props, losing that need to have them looking right off the assembly line has been tough.

Thusly my ANH is as close to clean as I could get, while my ESB is allowed to look a little crappy.

I bought a weathered Vader MOM on a graflex reborn that I want to rebuild and re weather (I don't like the black gloss paint currently on it), but I'm also trying to get the rest of the parts to do an "As first built" version on a graflex as well.

i can agree with ya. like lukes ROTJ saber i dont believe should look weathered, it looked pretty clean on scene, and plus in the story it seems he just finished building it from scratch, its weird... i like the ROTJ saber shiny and new, but ep 1-3 i cant get to like

vader on the other hand, in my eyes his should always be clean, with the connections he has and the mechanical ability that thing should always look new! now im just babbling!! lol

i can agree with ya. like lukes ROTJ saber i dont believe should look weathered, it looked pretty clean on scene, and plus in the story it seems he just finished building it from scratch, its weird... i like the ROTJ saber shiny and new, but ep 1-3 i cant get to like

Here's what you may have noticed in return of the Jedi. The EXTRA close up scene is a shiny saber, the close ups in the throne room, catching on the sail barge, etc. are a beat up piece of crap, and then the bladed ones are still different. I really don't think they cared too much about prop-consistency. That being said, the ESB graflex is my all-time favorite saber and one of the props that got me interested.

Here's what you may have noticed in return of the Jedi. The EXTRA close up scene is a shiny saber, the close ups in the throne room, catching on the sail barge, etc. are a beat up piece of crap, and then the bladed ones are still different. I really don't think they cared too much about prop-consistency. That being said, the ESB graflex is my all-time favorite saber and one of the props that got me interested.

what a shame, its funny how the producers really dont give a crap about consistency, would they have ever thought that fans would have dissected the films like we do lol

Kobold unrelated...I may have found a source for the right shaped circuit board leads. They're rectangular and not curved right? ...there's no attach image on the mobile site...they're not from computers at all but elevator electronics. I emailed the owner of this one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 122
Kobold unrelated...I may have found a source for the right shaped circuit board leads. They're rectangular and not curved right? ...there's no attach image on the mobile site...they're not from computers at all but elevator electronics. I emailed the owner of this one
Looks good to me going from the pictures in the thread. If you should get some and have some spare please give me a shout, I'd be in for a piece which I need for my ESB builds
DSC00250.JPG.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back