Tron Legacy Costume

I started a thread with details of how I made the diffuser.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/tron-legacy-themed-wip-170254/

How is the movement in it? Easy for you to do poses and such?

I've actually danced in it. Currently I've been safety pinning the diffusers in place or slipping them underneath the clear corset shown. Eventually, I plan to put velcro on the elastic tabs attach them to more elastic or other strapping.

I've been lurking and watching this thread for months while slowly putting together my own Tron inspired costume using LED strips. Here are some WIP photos. I may start an actual WIP thread if I ever decide on a specific costume.
Forgive the blurriness. I don't know if it was because the picture taker wasn't steady enough or if the camera just could not handle the how bright the LEDs were. The lens flares are where the LED strip slipped out of my homemade diffuser.

Do you have any pictures of the suit in good light? I'm just curious how you put it all together. I mean, it's not like anyone at the RPF likes "behind the scenes" pics or anything. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Russ

Do you have any pictures of the suit in good light? I'm just curious how you put it all together. I mean, it's not like anyone at the RPF likes "behind the scenes" pics or anything. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Russ

In the next day or so, I'll put up photos of the LED strips laid out and with the diffuser off in my WIP thread, including pictures of the connectors and power source. I also have a few action shots from the time I wore it dancing with my plain clothes. I haven't had any time to get pictures of this versions of the lights in use with more Tron-like clothes yet.

Closer shot of the strips and connectors.

More photos here:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/tron-legacy-themed-wip-170254/

Attachments

• 27497838444_8117fa90bd_c.jpg
    27497838444_8117fa90bd_c.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I got that similar set and, in my experience, THEY ARE BRIGHT(this is what I'm using for my costume)! :thumbsup Here's a video of what they look like in the dark: TRON:Legacy Light-up Panels testing - YouTube

Has anyone tried the ready to wear light kits that I see on ebay? The ones with the panels
all pre-shaped?

Sam Flynn Tron Replica El Panel Costume Torso Front Back Glow Tape Driver | eBay

They offer a Rinzler and Sam set, but the Rinzler doesn't seem as brightly colored.

Last edited:
looks like im going to have to hold off on the build for this costume i will do it if not for acen 2013 then maybe for a later convention. this is what happens when you plan finances in advance and just find out you dont have enough money to do a dream costume. at least i have my disc

Well, again from my limited knowlodge on this:

How bright the panels light-up really depends what kind of lighting source is in that room(?). You may see somekind of 'lighted-feature' from the panels, but the brighter the room is, the less-likely you'll see the effect. The panels are in 'pink' color when they are off(for WHITE light-up).

They are very flexible. They can twist abit well and bend abit well too for quite easy movement, but I wouldn't CREASE THEM at all for that would/will break the electrical current in them(I dare not to try that).

How long they last that depends on what kind of power source is used. The battery pack that came with mine takes 8 AA batteries and I would say a few hours(5+ hrs) - maybe longer if stronger batteries are used. If you use a stronger portable 12 volt power source, that might extend the lighting effect also.

I think this is the seller's vid(assuming here) on the panels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03OTWIZoahI

I would contact that Ebay seller to ask them too(I just did).

How bright are the panels in regular room light?

How flexible are they?

Any idea how long they'll stay lit on a fresh set of batteries?

Last edited:

How flexible are they?

Hi there

I can add a bit more info on the subject.

EL's overall brightness is dictated by the frequency that the driver runs at (basically how much juice it's feeding the el). The higher the frequency, the brighter the el will glow. The downside of driving el hard is that it's life is shortened (this also affects the battery life).

It's worth finding out from the vendors what the drivers rating is so you can shop around for a suitable one.

All el has good flex, but only in one direction at a time, and not all are created the same way. There is a simple way to tell what type of el you have by looking at the back of the tape/panels.

The main differences are how the contact planes are laid down. The tape I have has a wide band in the middle with two thin bands either side (as an example wide band = + either thin band = -, though with el it can be either way round).

This perticular type of el doesn't like kinks and any part after the kink stops working.

The other el that's doing the rounds is called split el. The name gives the big clue in that it's made up of two halves (one for + and one for -). The downside is a line that runs along the length of the tape, it's usually not seen by a camere, but it's visible to the naked eye, and finding the right connectors for them is rather harder than it should be.

The upside is, this one seems to be able to take a lot more abuse, and kinks as far as a right angle without suffering (saw some pics of a table top with tape around the edge at right angles and it looked very cool). The contact/connector system is assentially simpler as well. The contacts are designed to just bite through the el making a connection, you then screw (or clip) the two halves together and plug the inverter in the other end (if you can find them that is).

Standered AA batteries usually have around 2000-2500mAh's while AAAs have around 1000-1500mAh's. If you ask what ampage the drivers use per hr before ordering, you can work out how long the batteries will last.

Hope thats usefull in some way

I have a vague memory of a post a while back on the para guard helmet and lack of referance pic thereof, well I have a pretty good one, would love to attempt it myself at some point:

F9FFB651-E7B5-4D0F-B669-27DA01F1D79F-793-0000009EFCBC6C79.jpg

Enjoy :thumbsup

OK, I gotten back a email from that Ebay seller - this is what he said about your ?????s:

cheers for doing some PR for me ;)

heres the answers to those Qs

1)these are visibly glowing in daylight

2) like all el stuff you dont want to stress the connection - but the matierial itself can be flexed and bent
it is basically a few thin layers glued and sandwitched inside laminated plastic
this means that too much flexing can peel apart those layers - if this happens then that part stops glowing
(ive stopped making 1cm wide el tape because it didnt have the support and after some bending it tended to fail)

3) the tron torso set gets about 4-6 hrs out of fresh duracell quality batteries

ta
Dave

EL Wire Craft*|*
Eco and Creative Glowing Wire
If you like EL Wire - then you can 'Like' EL Wire

How flexible are they?

Anyone pre-planning or actively planning how to make a costume from Tron Legacy?

We have 6 months until the premier... it would be cool to go all glow suited up. :)

Any templates/patterns out there yet?

Thanks,

Russ

YES.

Im running a prop making class in the U.K (a small art shop just outside LONDON)

two people in the class are activly making TRON costumes, i will ask them if they will allow photos to be shown on here , i dont see that it would be a problem.

J Scorn, that would be great! I'm sure everyone in this thread would be interested to see others' TRON costumes and the approach they are taking for the build. Please post if you can. Thanks!

Anyone pre-planning or actively planning how to make a costume from Tron Legacy?

We have 6 months until the premier... it would be cool to go all glow suited up. :)

Any templates/patterns out there yet?

Thanks,

Russ

Hey Russ,

Did you ever think that your simple little request would blow up and turn into this monster thread with over a million views? I think it's pretty cool and I hope Disney takes notice and goes ahead and green-lights TRON 3.

From what I read in a recent interview with Joe Kosinski, they will not be reusing the TRON: Legacy assets and will be creating everything from scratch again. So it sounds like once things get rolling, we'll have even more costume choices to pick from!

TRON LIVES!! :D

Hey Russ,

Did you ever think that your simple little request would blow up and turn into this monster thread with over a million views? I think it's pretty cool and I hope Disney takes notice and goes ahead and green-lights TRON 3.

From what I read in a recent interview with Joe Kosinski, they will not be reusing the TRON: Legacy assets and will be creating everything from scratch again. So it sounds like once things get rolling, we'll have even more costume choices to pick from!

TRON LIVES!! :D

Disney anounced two days ago Tron 3 is in pre production Garrett Hedlund also mentioned about his role reprisal as Sam Flynn IT IS HAPPENING imdb has also added it to his filmography and im having serious fan girl freak out over here

im going to plan a redux version of my costume no coat staying redish orange. i have the rinzler disc already originally what i wanted to do was going to cost about $700 the reduced costume is around 210. So question what kind of wires would i need if using an led strip and what kind of inverters so i can figure out the actual cost of this costume. I am the type to financially plan ahead because theres nothing like being at a con and not having any money to spend. it sucks been there done that. Any help on the wiring would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back